car vs bike commuting on 'the car show'

Old September 8th 07, 03:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Default car vs bike commuting on 'the car show'

RV wrote:

Pfff wot a load of crap
2 words for the *******

Motor Bike

For my commute the mbike is about 10mins faster than cycling at a very
casual pace (riding hard I could probably do it in the same time). But
cycling takes me along some very peaceful back streets and bike paths
and gets me to work refreshed. Mbike commute gets me there 10mins
earlier and already stressed. It's not a difficult choice to make.

DaveB
Old September 8th 07, 09:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RV

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 12:17:23 +1000, DaveB
wrote:

RV wrote:

Pfff wot a load of crap
2 words for the *******

Motor Bike

For my commute the mbike is about 10mins faster than cycling at a very
casual pace (riding hard I could probably do it in the same time). But
cycling takes me along some very peaceful back streets and bike paths
and gets me to work refreshed. Mbike commute gets me there 10mins
earlier and already stressed. It's not a difficult choice to make.

DaveB

You got a rice burner with fat back tyre and bling I suppose.
I raced things like that for years around Calder, Winton etc..
Wrong motor bike for road in town.

Road Trail bike with quality road tyres for the city driving.

Steers on a dime to avoid dills.
Stop at city lights, walk across as pedestrian with motor running and
clutch in, then resume trip as motor bike.

Compare the times and get back to me then.

Cheers.

Old September 8th 07, 10:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_196_]

RV Wrote:

Compare the times and get back to me then.

Cheers.

I'm lost... are we paying out on cars, motorbikes, or bicycles now?

--
gplama

Old September 8th 07, 11:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

RV wrote:
Steers on a dime to avoid dills.
Stop at city lights, walk across as pedestrian with motor running and
clutch in, then resume trip as motor bike.

Compare the times and get back to me then.

Cheers.

err yeah sure. Stop at lights and then walk across those red lights as
a pedestrian. No worries. Get a clue and then get back to me.

DaveB
Old September 8th 07, 11:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_197_]

DaveB Wrote:

err yeah sure. Stop at lights and then walk across those red lights as
a pedestrian. No worries. Get a clue and then get back to me.

DaveB

I worked it out... we're paying out on magpies.. those pesky buggers!

--
gplama

Old September 8th 07, 01:52 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

gplama wrote:

I worked it out... we're paying out on magpies.. those pesky buggers!

Grrr magpies! The main reason I rode Beach rd this morning was to avoid
them. All my usual routes have at least one on them.

DaveB
Old September 8th 07, 06:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Travis

On Sep 7, 9:54 am, Campag wrote:
The episode is up now, click linky to watchy.

http://www.thecarshow.com.au/web-tv-ep25.htm

Bloody hell, that was crap! Its like Top Gear without the humour, or
the appreciation of driving real performance cars. Top Gear at least
likes to point out the car's minuses as well as the pluses, and do so
in a frequently hilarious way but the narration of this sounded like
it had been written by a marketer from Audi. He's not even really
into sports cars by the sound of it though. One thing I think we'll
never see is Jeremy Clarkson whining about how whatever sports car he
was driving didn't come in automatic and how his poor left leg was
getting sore from having to operate the clutch...

A sports car with an automatic transmission is equivalent to a four
wheel drive with a suspension designed for the city that can't
actually be driven off road. It preserves everything that is
obnoxious about the vehicle while giving up its advantages.

Travis

Old September 8th 07, 10:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Travis wrote:

Bloody hell, that was crap! Its like Top Gear without the
humour, or the appreciation of driving real performance cars.
Top Gear at least likes to point out the car's minuses as well
as the pluses, and do so in a frequently hilarious way but the
narration of this sounded like it had been written by a
marketer from Audi. He's not even really into sports cars by
the sound of it though. One thing I think we'll never see is
Jeremy Clarkson whining about how whatever sports car he was
driving didn't come in automatic and how his poor left leg was
getting sore from having to operate the clutch...

A sports car with an automatic transmission is equivalent to a
four wheel drive with a suspension designed for the city that
can't actually be driven off road. It preserves everything
that is obnoxious about the vehicle while giving up its
advantages.

Very well put. While Glenn Ridge (the driver/presenter) seems
to be a nice enough bloke (he used to host "Sale of the
Century"), he is like a fish out of water here. He likes cars,
but doesn't have the understanding of them that Jeremy Clarkson
does (which isn't great anyway). And that sickening
endorsement of every expensive product tested on Australian
commercial television is something which gets the occasional
mention on ABC's "Media Watch" too.

Like most motorists, Glenn Ridge is very slow to wake up to the
massive environmental damage he causes. Most motorists seem to
rationalise it by kidding themselves that their own
contribution doesn't count. Car show presenters influence a
lot of people, so that excuse makes even less sense for them.
I gave up competition motor sport (rallying), and actively
reduced my car dependence in about 1970 because of my
environmental concerns. And the evidence for harm is certainly
much stronger now. I also worked in the automotive industry
for over a decade, until 1976.

John
Old September 10th 07, 02:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Travis wrote:
... One thing I think we'll
never see is Jeremy Clarkson whining about how whatever sports car he
was driving didn't come in automatic and how his poor left leg was
getting sore from having to operate the clutch...

Heh! I watched it via the above links, and I was thinking he must be a
pretty feeble little weenie indeed if his leg got tired from a single
commute in *that* car.

Maybe I should pop him into dad's old Bedford J5[1] for a run around
the block, now *that's* what I'd call a heavy clutch! (The steering
needs some pretty good biceps too, come to that!)

BTH
[1] Like this one, but rougher (as befits a farm truck): http://tinyurl.com/yu4oro

Old September 10th 07, 10:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RV

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 20:39:04 +1000, DaveB
wrote:

RV wrote:
Steers on a dime to avoid dills.
Stop at city lights, walk across as pedestrian with motor running and
clutch in, then resume trip as motor bike.

Compare the times and get back to me then.

Cheers.

err yeah sure. Stop at lights and then walk across those red lights as
a pedestrian.

If you want to get booked, do that.

I said "Stop at city lights,"
City traffic lights
big tail buildings
tram lines
hook and no right turns.

You must live under a rock.

Commuting by Bike - Still not Catching On Here stratrider Recumbent Biking 22 August 9th 06 09:21 AM
Commuting by bike Gavin Watkinson UK 20 June 16th 06 03:20 PM
Commuting on a bike when there is no shower Travis Australia 9 March 2nd 06 11:02 AM
A bad bike commuting day dgk General 23 January 27th 05 01:52 AM
Best sort of commuting Bike chriswilcox UK 8 December 27th 03 10:40 PM