Threat to Brisbane CBD Cycle Centre

Old January 19th 07, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Default Threat to Brisbane CBD Cycle Centre

A CBD Cycle Centre is proposed to be incorporated into the State
Government's Inner Northern Busway Station currently being constructed
opposite the Crest Hotel. This project has bipartisan support of
Brisbane City Councillors. However, its installation in the King George
Car Park was deferred when the INB was proposed. It now appears the
Cycle Centre may never be built.

The Cycle Centre is designed as a one-stop-shop 'end of trip' facility
housing secure parking for bicycles, personal lockers, showers, change
and hair drying facilities and laundry services for more than 400
commuter cyclists and walkers.

Brisbane City Council has been working on this proposal for the last 4
years. Extensive research both overseas and locally shows that the
lack of 'end of trip' facilities are one of the most important barriers
in encouraging new commuter cyclists to ride to work in the CBD. This
research was evident with Council staff recently. The number of Council
staff cycling to work dropped significantly when the end of trip
facilities were not available for one week during the move to the new
Brisbane Square building in George Street.

Unfortunately, it appears the Lord Mayor Campbell Newman will not fund
an increased construction cost of approximately $1 million for this
project * which leaves the future of the CBD Cycle Centre now at risk.

In spite of public announcements by the Lord Mayor launching the
proposal and considerable lobbying from cyclists for this facility, the
Lord Mayor's commitment is in doubt. It appears there are funds for
multi-billion dollar tunnels, but not for the cycle hub. In spite of
the Lord Mayor professing to support all transport modes, at the first
real
test for bicycle infrastructure, he is wavering.

If you support the CBD Cycle Centre you might wish to contact the Lord
Mayor's Office and let the Lord Mayor know of your support.

Old January 19th 07, 07:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
asterope

ive just sent a message to Cr. Newman in support of the cycle centre...

perhaps we should start a petition?

Asterope

--
asterope

Old January 19th 07, 08:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

asterope wrote:
ive just sent a message to Cr. Newman in support of the cycle centre...

perhaps we should start a petition?

Asterope

--
asterope

The CBD BUG is meeting next Wednesday and it will be high on the
agenda. I expect we will write the usual punchy letters and make
nuisances of ourselves. Join up and add your voice:

http://cbdbug.googlepages.com/

Donga

Old January 19th 07, 08:14 AM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donga

snip

If you support the CBD Cycle Centre you might wish to contact the Lord
Mayor's Office and let the Lord Mayor know of your support.
A damn disappointing update, given all of BCC cycle-friendly policies
they like to self promote, although for example, the Brisbane Bikeway
Experience CD-rom is a great initiative that other councils/local
governments should also do in their area.

Whats the actual problem? Cost blowout? Planning issues? Given the CPF
recent media release about national increasing bike sales and the
general trend towards more utility cycling, BCC seems to be going
against what the community actually *require* for cycling-friendly
infrastructure.

A bit about the Cycle Centre from BCC:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:B...903:pc=PC_2191

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCCWR...903:svDocNum=2

Contact Campbell Newman via the online email form he
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:S...903:pc=PC_1341

Office of the Lord Mayor
GPO Box 2287 Brisbane Qld 4001

Phone: 07 3403 4400 Fax: 07 3403 9930

Councillors and Wards contact details:
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:S...388903:pc=PC_5

Your Say online (being a Mexican I have absolutely no idea how
effective this as a public forum)
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:B...88903:pc=PC_76

Old January 19th 07, 11:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

cfsmtb wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donga

snip

[...]

You're a legend, CFS!

Donga

Old January 19th 07, 12:11 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb

Donga Wrote:

You're a legend, CFS!

Donga

pfffffff. not really!

.... And another thing - remind the good folks at BCC about their
recent "Pedestrian and cyclist survey - what you said" (June 06)
http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:B...775:pc=PC_2367

Especially this bit: "Areas of improvement
Support for secure bike parking facilities at bus and ferry stops was
almost unanimous (93%) among cyclists and pedestrians alike, and
support for showers and change facilities in the CBD was supported
slightly more by cyclists (81%) than pedestrians (73%)."

I'm not at all familiar with how BCC operates, but are the public
allowed to present questions on notice (or without notice) at council
meetings? Be polite of course if doing this, but from experience, it's
an interesting exercise to directly question councillors or any other
departmental staff who maybe attending.

--
cfsmtb

Old January 19th 07, 08:42 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Paulie-AU

That's just plain rude. Most people I know don't ride to work because
of shower and locker facilities so to take away the proposed cycle
centre would just be a slap in the face to the (few) decent people of
Brisbane who WANT to do the right thing, but can't.

I'm going to contact my local councillor next week (Steve Griffiths).
He's a bit of a legend and has done a lot to encourage cycling locally,
so he should be able to help out.

--
Paulie-AU

Old January 19th 07, 11:26 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

cfsmtb wrote:
Donga Wrote:

[...]

The politics of BCC escape me, a newcomer. It's party-ised, for
starters. Then we have a Labor majority with a Liberal LM, who seems to
get his way on everything. We have one councillor, Helen Abrahams, who
is a cycling fighter, and another who races crits, and probably one or
two others with two wheels.

One suggestion is that the fight has gone out of city hall on this
issue, because they have a sweet new EoT facility themselves, with a
special entry and 100m tunnel that have to be seen to be believed.
(Crikey, the cost?) So they've got what they want, personally.

I'll check out the meeting question. I rarely read about public
questioning, or encouraging folk to show up.

Donga

Old January 22nd 07, 10:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
The Real Andy

On 19 Jan 2007 15:26:26 -0800, "Donga"
wrote:

cfsmtb wrote:
Donga Wrote:

[...]

I want to ride to work from Sandgate, however the bikeway mysteriously
ends at Toombull.. FAntastic. I am too scared to hit the road from
beyond there and i dont think the tires on my bike would hold up on
the footpath, Would be nice if it continued onto the propsed centre.
Shame...

I cant make it to the group, but I would be more than happy to sign
petitions etc..
Old January 22nd 07, 10:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

The Real Andy wrote:
I cant make it to the group, but I would be more than happy to sign
petitions etc..

Please do an online submission on the link cfsmtb gave. And get all
your mates/babies/lovers to do so too. This LM believes in numbers
(except if he can manipulate them).

Donga

Cycle ban in town centre Mark UK 105 September 21st 06 08:32 AM
Cycle lockers in Edinburgh city centre? [email protected] UK 5 August 30th 06 10:23 PM
Briz: State of the Art Cycle Centre planned for the city Donga Australia 1 May 4th 06 11:28 AM
Lancashire Cycle Rides in Blackburn Visitor Centre (i) footybet.net UK 3 June 11th 05 02:09 PM
Road Centre Cycle Lanes [Not Responding] UK 9 November 13th 03 07:26 PM