Getting off the Mavic Ksyrium Bandwagon

Old May 20th 05, 03:50 PM
David Damerell

Quoting Qui si parla Campagnolo :
App wrote:
What would you recommend for "race" wheels for the 14+ stone rider?

what is that weight? My calculator doesn't convert stone to lbs.

One stone is 14 pounds.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Chedday, May.
Old May 22nd 05, 02:59 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

App wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

what is that weight? My calculator doesn't convert stone to lbs.

Sorry - 200+ lbs. Should've put that as a parenthetical.

App

Fusions front and rear, Revs in the front....14/15 rear, still in the
1600 gr range, for about $450-$500...just weighed a set of Rolf
somethings, adverted as light weight, etc, $800 and .......1600 grams.

Old May 22nd 05, 06:57 PM
bikeguy11968

mmmmm. Ksyrriums. heavy wheels that are strong, but ride like crap.
Nothign like spending a fortune on wheels with icky hubs, ugly spokes,
and feel about as good to ride as a 94 buick. Go find yourself a nice
custom wheel builder, and have him or her hook you up. Heck if youa re
brave enough to go tubular, rock on. Email me off list if you need
some reccomendations.

Old May 31st 05, 09:40 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

what is that weight? My calculator doesn't convert stone to lbs.

1 ton = 20 cwt. 1 cwt = 8 stone. 1 stone = 14lbs. 1lb = 16 ozs. 1 oz
= 16 drams.

And by a weird fluke, 1 ton is almost exactly the same as one metric tonne.
Old June 1st 05, 12:48 AM
Chalo

Zog The Undeniable wrote:

1 ton = 20 cwt. 1 cwt = 8 stone. 1 stone = 14lbs. 1lb = 16 ozs. 1 oz
= 16 drams.

And by a weird fluke, 1 ton is almost exactly the same as one metric tonne.

The "ton" you mention is the long ton, a weird measurement if ever
there was one. It's also funny to me that a "hundredweight" is not
equal to a hundred of anything.

The ton used in the USA (short ton - 2000 lbs) is only about 90 percent
of a tonne. It can be divided by two, four, five, eight, and ten
without recourse to an abacus or a bundle of knotted strings.

Did you know an acre equals one furlong by four rods? The sheer
arbitrariness of English traditional measurements leads me to believe
that the Brits of yore all had random numbers of fingers.

Chalo Colina

Old June 3rd 05, 06:00 AM
41

Default Getting off the Mavic Ksyrium Bandwagon

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Whaddya recommend?

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear), 14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more reliable,
cheaper, etc.

Why not 15/16? Saves rather a bit of weight, more stretch under
tension.o

Old June 3rd 05, 01:31 PM
Paul Kopit

On 19 May 2005 07:18:28 -0700, "App" wrote:

Peter commented:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear), 14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more reliable,
cheaper, etc.

What would you recommend for "race" wheels for the 14+ stone rider?

App

I weigh 200 lbs. and have had great luck with similar wheels that
Peter recommends. I use thinner spokes on the Non drive side and
front wheel. Sometimes only a 28 hole front. For my rugged wheels I
use 32 spokes butted 14/15 front and rear. I think that you'll do
fine with Peter's wheels.
Old August 2nd 05, 07:59 AM
Jasper Janssen

On 2 Jun 2005 22:00:32 -0700, "41" wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear), 14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more reliable,
cheaper, etc.

Why not 15/16? Saves rather a bit of weight, more stretch under
tension.o

How do hubs deal with having spoke heads of 13, 14, or 15 gauge slapped in
without requiring different drillings? Is it just not such a big problem
for the hub drillings to be oversized?

Jasper
Old August 2nd 05, 02:38 PM
Mark Hickey

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On 2 Jun 2005 22:00:32 -0700, "41" wrote:
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

DA or Record/Chorus/Centaur hubset. Velocity Aeroheads(OC rear), 14/15
spokes, Revs in the front....1550 grams or so, $500 or so...off the
shelf stuff, better hubs than all the 'package' wheels, more reliable,
cheaper, etc.

Why not 15/16? Saves rather a bit of weight, more stretch under
tension.o

How do hubs deal with having spoke heads of 13, 14, or 15 gauge slapped in
without requiring different drillings? Is it just not such a big problem
for the hub drillings to be oversized?

No matter what size the drilling is, it's going to have to be bigger
than the body of the spoke to pass the threads and the elbow. That
means that all sizes of spokes will contact only at the very top of
the drilled hole initially, and then "seat" as the elbow pulls into
the flange material under tension.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com