freewheel noise?

Old August 1st 05, 02:33 PM
Callistus Valerius

Default freewheel noise?

Rear wheel of a Rolf comp. When I pedal, and then coast, and then pedal
again, I hear either a clank or a clunk. I switched the rear wheel from a 9
speed bike to an 8 speed bike, and hear the same noise. It seems to happen
everytime, after I let up on the gas, and then hit the pedals hard again.
Never happens when I'm in a constant pedaling motion. Maybe it's the hub, I
don't know much about how the hub and freewheel interact.

Old August 1st 05, 03:26 PM
daveornee

Callistus Valerius Wrote:
Rear wheel of a Rolf comp. When I pedal, and then coast, and the
pedal
again, I hear either a clank or a clunk. I switched the rear whee
from a 9
speed bike to an 8 speed bike, and hear the same noise. It seems t
happen
everytime, after I let up on the gas, and then hit the pedals har
again.
Never happens when I'm in a constant pedaling motion. Maybe it's th
hub, I
don't know much about how the hub and freewheel interact.

It is the freehub. The pawl engagement mechanism is the trouble

--
daveornee

Old August 1st 05, 04:41 PM
Callistus Valerius

Rear wheel of a Rolf comp. When I pedal, and then coast, and then
pedal
again, I hear either a clank or a clunk. I switched the rear wheel
from a 9
speed bike to an 8 speed bike, and hear the same noise. It seems to
happen
everytime, after I let up on the gas, and then hit the pedals hard
again.
Never happens when I'm in a constant pedaling motion. Maybe it's the
hub, I
don't know much about how the hub and freewheel interact.

It is the freehub. The pawl engagement mechanism is the trouble.

is there anyway to fix that?

Old August 1st 05, 05:51 PM
daveornee

Callistus Valerius Wrote:
Rear wheel of a Rolf comp. When I pedal, and then coast, and then
pedal
again, I hear either a clank or a clunk. I switched the rea

wheel
from a 9
speed bike to an 8 speed bike, and hear the same noise. It seem

happen
everytime, after I let up on the gas, and then hit the pedals hard
again.
Never happens when I'm in a constant pedaling motion. Maybe it'

the
hub, I
don't know much about how the hub and freewheel interact.

It is the freehub. The pawl engagement mechanism is the trouble.

is there anyway to fix that?

Sometimes removing the freehub or seal and dripping in some oil wil
help. If you remove and replace the seal, you must exercise extrem
care to not damage the seal.
Another fix is to totally replace the freehub.
Rolf may have used a Hugi hub with "start ratchet". You will need t
do some research to match up the model with what is avaialble.
wouldn't open it without a drawing and some documentation. Take a loo
at the Hugi 240 and see if it is a match for your hub

--
daveornee

Old August 1st 05, 08:49 PM
catzz66

Callistus Valerius wrote:
Rear wheel of a Rolf comp. When I pedal, and then coast, and then pedal
again, I hear either a clank or a clunk. I switched the rear wheel from a 9
speed bike to an 8 speed bike, and hear the same noise. It seems to happen
everytime, after I let up on the gas, and then hit the pedals hard again.
Never happens when I'm in a constant pedaling motion. Maybe it's the hub, I
don't know much about how the hub and freewheel interact.

Does this really indicate that anything is seriously wrong? Does it
hurt anything?
Old August 1st 05, 08:57 PM
Claudius Vitalis

Rear wheel of a Rolf comp. When I pedal, and then coast, and then

pedal
again, I hear either a clank or a clunk. I switched the rear wheel from

a 9
speed bike to an 8 speed bike, and hear the same noise. It seems to

happen
everytime, after I let up on the gas, and then hit the pedals hard

again.
Never happens when I'm in a constant pedaling motion. Maybe it's the

hub, I
don't know much about how the hub and freewheel interact.

Does this really indicate that anything is seriously wrong? Does it
hurt anything?

It doesn't hurt the performance at all, so far. But these loud clunks
and clanks, make the bike feel clunky, if you know what I mean.

Old August 1st 05, 09:02 PM
Claudius Vitalis

is there anyway to fix that?
Sometimes removing the freehub or seal and dripping in some oil will
help. If you remove and replace the seal, you must exercise extreme
care to not damage the seal.
Another fix is to totally replace the freehub.
Rolf may have used a Hugi hub with "start ratchet". You will need to
do some research to match up the model with what is avaialble. I
wouldn't open it without a drawing and some documentation. Take a look
at the Hugi 240 and see if it is a match for your hub.

I'll look into that, thanks

Old August 1st 05, 10:11 PM
catzz66

Claudius Vitalis wrote:

Does this really indicate that anything is seriously wrong? Does it
hurt anything?

It doesn't hurt the performance at all, so far. But these loud clunks
and clanks, make the bike feel clunky, if you know what I mean.

Both my bikes do this. One is new and one is 5 yrs old.

I thought it was normal. Thanks.
Old August 2nd 05, 02:47 AM
RonSonic

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:11:57 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

Claudius Vitalis wrote:

Does this really indicate that anything is seriously wrong? Does it
hurt anything?

It doesn't hurt the performance at all, so far. But these loud clunks
and clanks, make the bike feel clunky, if you know what I mean.

Both my bikes do this. One is new and one is 5 yrs old.

I thought it was normal. Thanks.

It is.

Or it may be. You can _make_ almost any of them do that, all it takes is an
aggressive pedaling motion when you start. Normally I'd consider it user error
and needlessly hard on the bike.

The question is does it clunk when you pick up the pedals smoothly and ride with
a bit of finesse?

Ron

Old August 2nd 05, 03:32 AM
Callistus Valerius

Or it may be. You can _make_ almost any of them do that, all it takes is
an
aggressive pedaling motion when you start. Normally I'd consider it user

error
and needlessly hard on the bike.

The question is does it clunk when you pick up the pedals smoothly and

ride with
a bit of finesse?

Ron

No, I'm doing it smoothly. The wheel has 12,000 miles on it, and it
only started clunking, maybe the last 400 miles.