Can-amera parkway. A wealth of choice

Old June 8th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default Can-amera parkway. A wealth of choice

I've generally slagged Cambridge Ontario as being bike unfriendly. It is. It
was created as the amalgamation of three villages and is spread out
straddling the 401 [major arterial limited access highway]. No city center.
No soul. One of those cities given over to the culture of the car. But it
does have a nice river trail and is a convenient loop distance for me.

Anyway I was coming back through that sprawl and I was taking the
relatively new Can-Amera Parkway. It is a very broad multilane divide city
artery. What did I find unusual? It had a generous well marked, signed bike
lane still fresh paved smooth with no potholes, debris, tire eating storm
drains or other problems some complain of.

Still not that unusual.

But check out the choice

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2898050

Along side they have a paved laned path that is designated for cycling
also. At first when I saw someone coming the other way I thought, 'sidewalk
rider' but checked closer to see that the 'sidewalk' is indeed signed for
bicycling.

Which would you choose?

Actually I tried the path and found that it must have been less recently
laid as the asphalt had that bumpy texture that old paving gets as it
settles around uneven surfaces.

Old June 10th 09, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 8, 12:16*pm, "recycled" wrote:
[...]

hey did you go on the climbing route you posted about a while ago,
grand valley or thereabouts ?
Old June 10th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

Default Can-amera parkway. Now Jones Baseline

wrote in message

hey did you go on the climbing route you posted about a while ago,
grand valley or thereabouts ?

North Of Elora/Fergus?

Yah.

May Two Four weekend. I did a loop through Alma as far north as Arthur.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2835443

113 km total making it my first met-cent of the season. It had it's
tribulations. One of them being that I kept deciding on back road routes
that involved water crossing in steep gullies on rough dirt roads where the
'bridges' were condemned for motor vehicular traffic. On the way back I was
determined to bike the entire length of Jones Baseline which terminates in
Guelph. Unfortunately at it's northern extremity it has an annoying tendency
to dead end in in wooded areas causing a few backtracks out of flooded land
or simple bush country.

On a truly sad note I have a bad connotation for the area now. In April a
little girl, Tori Stafford, was abducted in the town of Woodstock, about 150
km to the south west of Guelph. Sad, but in the flood of world news I must
say it was just one of those news stories you don't pay too much attention
to.

Well in the week following my loop the police made arrest for her murder
even though they had no body. Of the two charged - may they rot in hell -
the female was assisting the police in searching for her remains,. The area
being searched was in and around Guelph, especially along Jones Baseline.
Seeing the area search that I have cycled so often was creepy. To think I
may well have passed where they disposed of her remains is/was disturbing.
The area is tainted now.

Old June 10th 09, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

[...]

Hi there.

That path is a few years old now. I love how they want cars to stop
inthe roundabout to allow cyclists and pedestrians to cross Can
America. That roundabout is high and has plants that prevent you from
seeing across it.

Cambidge has some interesting bike lanes too. The westbound one on
Myers road is a joke. It has jutouts at many of the intersections, is
very rough in sections and ends suddenly at the bottom of the hill as
you aproach water street.

BTW, are you riding in this years Tour OF The Grand this Sunday?

Cheers from Peter
Old June 10th 09, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 9, 8:59*pm, "recycled" wrote:

[...]

sorry to hear it wasn't a more pleasant ride
Old June 11th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

wrote in message
..

sorry to hear it wasn't a more pleasant ride

The ride itself was fine. The news of the search came later in the week.

Old June 11th 09, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

wrote in message

Cambidge has some interesting bike lanes too. The westbound one on
Myers road is a joke. It has jutouts at many of the intersections, is
very rough in sections and ends suddenly at the bottom of the hill as
you aproach water street.

Ya. I'v e been down Myers Rd.

BTW, are you riding in this years Tour OF The Grand this Sunday?

Had not heard of it.

Old June 11th 09, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Jun 10, 10:45*pm, "recycled" wrote:
wrote in message

Cambidge has some interesting bike lanes too. The westbound one on
Myers road is a joke. It has jutouts at many of the intersections, is
very rough in sections and ends suddenly at the bottom of the hill as
you aproach water street.

Ya. I'v e been down Myers Rd.

BTW, are you riding in this years Tour OF The Grand this Sunday?

Had not heard of it.

Hi there.

There are a number of routes this year. They all start at the Duncan
MacIntosh Arena in Churchill Park off of Myers road, Christopher
Street or Water Street. Routes are up to at least 160 Kms. LAst year
there were over 1000 particiapants in all the routes.

Cheers from Peter