[Vic] Sid Patterson Grand Prix

Old January 19th 06, 12:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default [Vic] Sid Patterson Grand Prix

Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

--
SuzieB

Old January 19th 06, 12:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SuzieB Wrote:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

Watching track racing at night is fun - it reminds me of when I was a
kid and my parents took me on Thurs nights to the dogs (parents had a
share in kennels). Lots of colour, speed, excitement, especially when
you pick a jockey and have a bet to yourself on them.

It will be interesting to see how French performs, and how the field
responds to him. The fields will be strong, with riders from NZ, GB,
Scotland, Warragul ( ) racing. Some Aust champs in the mix too.

I'd be there if I wasn't staring at hills that night.

--
warrwych

Old January 19th 06, 12:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SuzieB Wrote:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

Make sure you pencil in the Austral as well, it's the biggest race of
the calendar.

Sid Patterson is at DISC, which is not as good an atmosphere as
Vodafone, nor is it near any PT. The advantage of Vodafone is the bar
in the middle, much more social and less hassle than trying to carry
beers up and down stairs....

--
Shabby

Old January 19th 06, 01:48 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SuzieB Wrote:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

Short answer: previous SP Grand Prix have been fugging grand. Don't
know how the atmosphere etc will go at the nu Disc though.

****er, we're going to be up at Bright. Wanna do a a.b report?
http://tinyurl.com/8oujq

--
cfsmtb

Old January 19th 06, 02:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Sid Patterson Grand Prix

SuzieB wrote:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event like
this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

I was going to be taking photos for CN, but will be in Bright instead.
FWIW, the Sid Pat is a wheelrace, same as the Austral and the Melb cup
on wheels, with a bunch of support races. Being at DISC rather than
Melbourne Park, it may not be as good a venue to watch from, but I
don't know, that's a guess. I've not been to DISC when anyone's
actually using the place - parking (car, bike, whatever) will suck
though and there's no PT.

Old January 19th 06, 02:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:
SuzieB wrote:
Anyone going along to watch the Sid Patterson Grand Prix on Saturday
night (21st Jan) at DISC? I can't say I've ever been to an event

like
this but I'm interested to see what it's like.

http://tinyurl.com/7rxbu

I was going to be taking photos for CN, but will be in Bright instead.
FWIW, the Sid Pat is a wheelrace, same as the Austral and the Melb cup
on wheels, with a bunch of support races. Being at DISC rather than
Melbourne Park, it may not be as good a venue to watch from, but I
don't know, that's a guess. I've not been to DISC when anyone's
actually using the place - parking (car, bike, whatever) will suck
though and there's no PT.

I agree venue vibe. Shabby was spot on comparing Vodafone with
DISC. DISC is no Vodafone. I guess it also depends on the numbers of
butts in seats they get - this will impact on vibe also. I think track
visibility is better at DISC, thanks to the smaller venue and placement
of seats on one side. But then, I have never had ring side seats at
Vodafone - always been up the back in the poverty seats. So DISC may be
more "intimate" but it also may be "cold" or "flat" for excitement and
vibe.

--
warrwych

Old January 19th 06, 07:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

warrwych Wrote:
I agree venue vibe. Shabby was spot on comparing Vodafone with DISC.
DISC is no Vodafone. I guess it also depends on the numbers of butts in
seats they get - this will impact on vibe also. I think track
visibility is better at DISC, thanks to the smaller venue and placement
of seats on one side. But then, I have never had ring side seats at
Vodafone - always been up the back in the poverty seats. So DISC may be
more "intimate" but it also may be "cold" or "flat" for excitement and
vibe.

Cold, flat, intimate means jack all. Whats important is CHEAP, for the
organisors anyway..i think.

Yeh parking will be an absolute biatch, they'll have to park people on
one of the footy or soccer grounds nearby.

Jono

--
Jono L

Old January 19th 06, 10:15 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Jono L Wrote:
Cold, flat, intimate means jack all. Whats important is CHEAP, for the
organisors anyway..i think.

Yeh parking will be an absolute biatch, they'll have to park people on
one of the footy or soccer grounds nearby.

Jono

punters want an experience, which can include cold, flat, intimate - ie
bad experience. People will pay $$ if the experience is quality, if
they come away buzzing and feeling good about it all. If they feel like
peanuts in an empty jar watching flies buzz around, and are thinking
about other things they could be doing instead, then cheap means jack
The social and emotional elements are as important as the financial
for events and participation (including spectating).

--
warrwych

Old January 19th 06, 11:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Righto Jack, for Vodafone the organisors have to fork out a ****load of
dosh and that doesn't garuantee that the crowds will turn up, i'm not
supporting it, just justifying it. Plus this little event thats on atm
called the Australian Open tennis takes priority methinks.

--
Jono L

Old January 24th 06, 07:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Venue wise VA is better but when you are talking about the track itself
DISC wins hands down.