Cane Creek headset

Old November 25th 03, 02:57 AM
S. Anderson

Default Cane Creek headset

"A Muzi" wrote in message
Yes it is _very_ common and a good design overall. Doesn't
work any better in metal - just weighs more.

Sounds like an installation error to me - Should not be
enough room to "rocket out the side" even in several pieces
if it is where it should be.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

I think the problem with the Ritchey headset is the conical sleeve and the
top dust cover are both plastic and are both under load, the dust cover
being pinched between the conical sleeve and the upper metal bearing race.
A little too much pressure and the dust cover is crushed and split. This is
the part that shot out the side, exposing the bearings and terminally
loosening the headset. It was not an installation error, just a poor design
in my opinion. Normally I like Ritchey stuff, but I wasn't impressed by
that headset.

Cheers,

Scott..

Old November 25th 03, 04:05 AM
Cipher

Mark U. wrote:
Probably been discussed sometime in the past, but....
What is the general consensus about the Cane Creek S-2 Aheadset on the
Treks? A local rider with a stable full of bikes here says to replace it
with almost anything else.
Thanks!
Mark

Along the same lines, anyone care to comment on Cane Creek's S-6? (I had
a guy at a LBS tell me the first thing you should do if you get a bike
with this headset installed is remove it for a Chris King). What's up
with that?!?

Old November 25th 03, 04:46 AM
Dan Brussee

On 25 Nov 2003 14:55:42 +1050, Cipher
wrote:

Mark U. wrote:
Probably been discussed sometime in the past, but....
What is the general consensus about the Cane Creek S-2 Aheadset on the
Treks? A local rider with a stable full of bikes here says to replace it
with almost anything else.
Thanks!
Mark

Along the same lines, anyone care to comment on Cane Creek's S-6? (I had
a guy at a LBS tell me the first thing you should do if you get a bike
with this headset installed is remove it for a Chris King). What's up
with that?!?

As with 95% of suggestions like this. Take it with a grain of salt.
People in general I think will take a single incident and blow it out
of proportion - especially if it is somehow backed up by someone elses
experience - no matter how little actual evidence there is. Ive heard
it a thousand times...

Product X SUCKS... Product Y ROCKS! sigh

Old November 25th 03, 09:20 PM
Dion Dock

I had one go through two sets of bearings. The adjustment would go from OK
to loose. I could get the looseness out but it would be too tight. The
bearings coming from the factory were bad. The thing really defined piece
of junk.

You could keep throwing bearings in there or live with a tight/loose
headset. I replaced it and haven't had problems since.

-Dion