Tires

Old April 4th 18, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Tires

On 2018-03-31 17:43, John B. wrote:

On a bike with 700C tires I am currently running 23mm tires. Some of
the roads in Bangkok are pretty rough and my front fork could take a
25mm tire, but probably not wider, and I'm wondering whether it is
worth the effort to change from 23 to 25mm tires.

Alternately I could go a bit wider on the rear but again I'm wondering
whether that is worth while as the majority of the bumps I feel
through the front wheel and handle bars and the occasional snake bite
flat I get is always on the front.

I did that years ago, went to 25mm and never looked back. The rear can
be more important for people (like me) with lower back problems and if
my road bike could take a 28mm or even wider tire on the rear wheel I'd
use that. But it can't.

Pinch flats never happened anymore after I went to thick tubes plus tire
liner. Actually, flats in general don't happen anymore unless there is
hardcore structural tire failure.

If your wrist hurt from all the rattling maybe you could look into
handlebar tape with more cushioning material underneath.

Which reminds me, I mounted my last 25mm tire yesterday, got to buy
another stash. Maybe it's because of the hills but they almost go
through like popcorn. Some like CST Conquistare are worn to the limits
after just 1000mi so if you are in the market I definitely would not
recommend those. Got a Vittoria Zaffiro on the rear now, says made in
Thailand which is usually a good thing when it comes to tires. I am
going to look for Vee Rubber as well because that brand really performed
on the MTB.

Niagara Cycle Works had Vee Rubber 700 tires in 25mm for $10.37 plus
shipping. Sweet!

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/