Hutchinson Excel tires "splintering"

Old November 14th 03, 05:41 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default Hutchinson Excel tires "splintering"

It's hard to describe what's happening here. It's a 700cx23 and I've
inflated it to 120psi on most occasions.

You know the label on the tire? The one that's sorta screen-printed on?
It's beginning to show cracks through it, and I'm wondering if it's the
rubber underneath expanding. Plus some of the rubber itself seems to have a
splintering effect too. I'll get a picture ASAP, but has anyone else
experienced this?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 17th 03, 03:30 AM
Bruce Dickson

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message ...
It's hard to describe what's happening here. It's a 700cx23 and I've
inflated it to 120psi on most occasions.

You know the label on the tire? The one that's sorta screen-printed on?
It's beginning to show cracks through it, and I'm wondering if it's the
rubber underneath expanding. Plus some of the rubber itself seems to have a
splintering effect too. I'll get a picture ASAP, but has anyone else
experienced this?

I have had the same problem with these tyres. I think it's because of
the low tpi casing breaking down and expanding slightly so the rubber
cracks. Keep a close eye on them as you will probably have a blowout
through the sidewall right near the bead long before the tread is worn
out. I have had this happen to several of them so I don't buy them
anymore. It's a shame because they have a very hard wearing tread
which still grips quite well and they seem fairly puncture resistant.
I'm trying wire bead Ritchey Comp Race Slicks next, similar weight and
cost. Maybe I'll get to wear out the tread on them!

BTW the recommended max pressure is only 110psi so I guess if you're
putting 120 in them the casing will break even sooner.

Bruce Dickson

To win any race you have to stay on your bike
Chris Boardman
Old November 19th 03, 06:09 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I have had the same problem with these tyres. I think it's because of
the low tpi casing breaking down and expanding slightly so the rubber
cracks. Keep a close eye on them as you will probably have a blowout
through the sidewall right near the bead long before the tread is worn
out. I have had this happen to several of them so I don't buy them
anymore. It's a shame because they have a very hard wearing tread
which still grips quite well and they seem fairly puncture resistant.

You've had several blowouts already with these tires?

Thanks so much for the info... will lower my pressures ASAP.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 20th 03, 04:57 AM
Bruce Dickson

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in message ...

You've had several blowouts already with these tires?

Thanks so much for the info... will lower my pressures ASAP.

Yes I bought about 8 of them and not one of them wore out the tread
before failing catastrophically. All of them except one blew out
through the sidewall near the bead, the other one went way out of
shape when the casing failed but it didn't blow out. Luckily I always
put my new tyres on the front and my old front tyres on the back so
all of the blowouts were at the back. I did still get a lot of miles
out of the tyres and only ever got one flat due to something sharp
penetrating the tread but it seems a waste to carry all of that extra
rubber around with you and never get to use it.

I would be interested to know it other people had the same problem
with these tyres. I kept buying them for a while because I thought I
was unlucky and had a couple of bad ones but it seems they all fail
the same way.

Bruce Dickson

Most people have no idea how hard they can work.
Donald Kirkendall - exercise physiologist - University of North
Carolina