presta valve stems bending

Old November 24th 03, 07:15 AM
Benjamin Lewis

Default presta valve stems bending

John Dacey wrote:

Main Entry: valve
fluff snipped, caps below added for emphasis
3 a : any of numerous mechanical devices by which the flow of liquid,
gas, or loose material in bulk may be started, stopped, or regulated
by a movable part that opens, shuts, or partially obstructs one or
more ports or passageways; also : THE MOVABLE PART OF SUCH A DEVICE

From which we see that the word "valve" is ambiguous. It would be nice to
have a word for this part that wasn't.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber
Old November 24th 03, 07:37 AM
A Muzi

anonymous writes:
What makes Presta valve stems bend over? Almost all mine get bent
somehow. Not sure if it is floor pump or the frame pump that does
it. or - well this can't be it - the tire caps.

wrote:
Presta valve stems don't bend, they break off. You must be having
some other problem.

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message ...
How about "valve core stem" or just "valve core"?

Carl Fogel wrote:
Seems reasonable, although I rather liked the
original poster's "the screwer thingy" phrase.

Well, that has. . . warmth.

We call the center vertical component of a Schrader valve a
"pin" Any reason the Presta one can't be a 'presta valve pin'?
I think if the OP said, "Not knowing how to use my pump, I
bent the presta valve pin", we should know what he meant
better than the original "stem", right?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Old November 24th 03, 04:41 PM
John Dacey

Quod licet Iovi, non licet bovi.
On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:15:42 -0800, Benjamin Lewis
wrote:

John Dacey wrote:

Main Entry: valve
fluff snipped, caps below added for emphasis
3 a : any of numerous mechanical devices by which the flow of liquid,
gas, or loose material in bulk may be started, stopped, or regulated
by a movable part that opens, shuts, or partially obstructs one or
more ports or passageways; also : THE MOVABLE PART OF SUCH A DEVICE

From which we see that the word "valve" is ambiguous. It would be nice to
have a word for this part that wasn't.

Except that in the past, others who have tried to use words that
resolve ambiguities and enhance meaning have sometimes been clubbed
down here with a vigor normally reserved for fur seal pups.

In any case, Mr Brandt's "threaded valve shaft" fails to bring clarity
because there are many valve stems whose _externals_ are also threaded
for their full length.

Isn't the moving part of a bike tube's valve its "piston"? (e.g., "I
bent the threaded end of the valve's piston."). Andrew M's "pin" is
probably best though.
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Now in our twenty-first year.
Our catalog of track equipment: eighth year online.
http://www.businesscycles.com