cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Old March 6th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Hello again everyone!

Now I've moved on from the Swedish and
Norwegian standard bikes of the 70s into the
most recent of bike technology, namely the
mountain-bike or "MTB"!

I read on the cassette that you should pull it
40 nm. There is even an arrow pointing the way.
It is the well-known way, but OK.

I know there is a tool for this - torque
wrench, right?

I don't have one, but I do have the everyday
half-inch ratchet, and the special socket with
all the teeth (?) -
of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove it, it
is stuck like, very firmly!

When I pull, I hear a crash sound three or
four times. This seems to be normal.

I asked the local guru who did bikes since the
80s. He also claimed he was a master after only
two years. Anyway he suggested it was sand!
But I'm not that stupid I don't make the parts
rudimentary clean before I operate them. So it
is not sand. Besides the sound is much to big
to be sand.

Anyway what do you guys make of all this?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 6th 17, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 06/03/2017 3:19 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Get a torque wrench and tighten it to 40nm.
Old March 6th 17, 10:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

I DOAHNO WHAT YOUR HEARING... check the threads...all thread groovesa re 100% clean in mounting cassettes

40 Newton Meters to Foot-pounds Force = 29.5025

this is TIGHT plus a hair ...

if you have a 6" ratchet handle n push down tight n then after a paws..squeeze down again...the metal is elastic n bounces back

use blue Loctite on a CHOH clean surface. this way it stays on then comes off.

a common ft pound torque wrench will be best.
Old March 6th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 21:19:55 +0100
Emanuel Berg wrote:

I know there is a tool for this - torque
wrench, right?

If you don't have enough experience to have calibrated hands then that's
the only way. C'mon, compared to having things fail a half-decent
torque-wrench is cheap. Mine are ex-military Britool from a motorcycle
autojumble. Not quite up to Snap-On quality, but still good. I don't
use them them on bicycles though, just use my hands ;-)

Mike

Old March 7th 17, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-03-06 12:19, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Hello again everyone!

Now I've moved on from the Swedish and
Norwegian standard bikes of the 70s into the
most recent of bike technology, namely the
mountain-bike or "MTB"!

I read on the cassette that you should pull it
40 nm. There is even an arrow pointing the way.
It is the well-known way, but OK.

I know there is a tool for this - torque
wrench, right?

I don't have one, but I do have the everyday
half-inch ratchet, and the special socket with
all the teeth (?) -

I use a regular wrench, note the length, calculate the required pull
force at the end and then I use a suitcase scales that my sister gave
me. A digital one with a hook where you normally lift a suitcase with to
see if it is still under the required 50lbs. Under $10.

of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove it, it
is stuck like, very firmly!

It is a lot. But I thought you Vikings are all supermen with lots of
muscle, exclaiming a loud "uff da" and off the cassette comes :-)

When I pull, I hear a crash sound three or
four times. This seems to be normal.

I asked the local guru who did bikes since the
80s. He also claimed he was a master after only
two years. Anyway he suggested it was sand!
But I'm not that stupid I don't make the parts
rudimentary clean before I operate them. So it
is not sand. Besides the sound is much to big
to be sand.

Anyway what do you guys make of all this?

On my Shimano cassettes the end piece that tightens it up has teeth
inside so it will make a loud ratchet sound at the end. I guess that was
done so it won't come loose during a ride. If the outer sprocket would
ever slip off and turn free while pedaling hard you could have a major
crash. So it better not come off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 7th 17, 12:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

itsnot muscle ...the tightness is goal. 26 pounds isnot TIGHT TIGHT....35 pounds is TIGHT TIGHT ...Shimano wants you to squeeze the parts together snug and tight but not bend the assembly.

lubricating threads with locktite helps give an accurate reading. dry threads give an inaccurate reading.

if finding a torque wrench drill holes in a hardwood board n mount various size nuts/bolts/washers n torque down to see what ...compare to trying for 26 pounds without the torque wrench.

Old March 7th 17, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Duane wrote:

Get a torque wrench and tighten it to 40nm.

Indeed, I'm all for getting the right gear!

Eventually I hope to own every single tool
there is for doing bikes. And I'm getting
closer! I even have ancient Torpedo tools
("hook wrenches?") for their ring lock nuts -
you need two of those to seal their 3-speed
hub - the only tools for the entire hub by the
way!

Nowadays, it is almost fun realizing there is
a tool you don't have, at least if you can get
it

A torque wrench which is half-inch, 45 cm, and
28-210 Nm is 339 SEK ~($44, £36, or €42) at the
quality-tool shop so yes, in the long run
I sure hope to get one of those, God willing.

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Mike Causer wrote:

If you don't have enough experience to have
calibrated hands then that's the only way.
C'mon, compared to having things fail
a half-decent torque-wrench is cheap.
Mine are ex-military Britool from
a motorcycle autojumble. Not quite up to
Snap-On quality, but still good. I don't use
them them on bicycles though, just use my
hands ;-)

Shouldn't ex-military British stuff be
very good? Hey, it is where the industrial
revolution began.

By the way, if the industrial revolution
happened in the southern hemisphere, do you
think we would put screws in the other
way around?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

I use a regular wrench, note the length,
calculate the required pull force at the end
and then I use a suitcase scales that my
sister gave me. A digital one with a hook
where you normally lift a suitcase with to
see if it is still under the required 50lbs.
Under $10.

.... really? How do you "mount" it all? Even if
it could be done, isn't this like a poor-man's
torque wrench and much more complicated
at that?

of 40 nm, I know only this is a lot and the
reason I know this is every time I remove
it, it is stuck like, very firmly!

It is a lot. But I thought you Vikings are
all supermen with lots of muscle, exclaiming
a loud "uff da" and off the cassette comes
:-)

Sorry, wrong country. That's the Norwegian
vikings. We on the other hand were clever
merchants even then

On my Shimano cassettes the end piece that
tightens it up has teeth inside so it will
make a loud ratchet sound at the end. I guess
that was done so it won't come loose during
a ride. If the outer sprocket would ever slip
off and turn free while pedaling hard you
could have a major crash. So it better not
come off.

Indeed, I figured it was something with the
casette. The smallest sprockets (two or three?)
are somewhat loose to begin with. Do you know
what is actually making the sound,
functionality aside?

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
Old March 7th 17, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/6/2017 7:00 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

[...]

Rattling high gear sprockets can indicate a missing spacer.
On classic Seven cassettes there is a thin 1.0mm spacer
between high gear and second highest, LH item he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/csspacr.jpg

(there are other possible issues, such as 11t sprocket on a
pre-11t body and so on)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Clockwise or counter coterock Racing 7 February 15th 11 04:33 AM
Ride Report and Photos: Mt. Hamilton Loop Clockwise, April 2006 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 May 24th 06 03:38 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 7 October 20th 05 01:39 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 0 October 20th 05 12:45 AM
Priority Arrow Right Of Way Jack Ouzzi UK 37 November 14th 04 11:26 PM