Cyclists and pedestrians in LA

Old April 12th 18, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Cyclists and pedestrians in LA

http://ktla.com/2018/04/11/1-person-...n-crash-video/

Video is dramatic.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 13th 18, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:29:50 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Video is dramatic.

Never been to LA; looking at this and related articles it seems that
similar rageful inidents are on the upswing. We've had an increase in
car-pedestrian collisions locally. I am not sure if we've seenthe same
intentional harming by drivers but there have been a number of
well-publicized hit-and-runs. A few years ago a law was passed
requiring drivers to stop for pedestrians in crosswalks, whether marked
as such or not. When walking I find that feels much less safe because
some cars stop and some don't. The law was well-intentioned and aimed
at reducing injuries, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

There's been something of an upswing in car-pedestrian injuries in
particular. Car-bike injuries are less frequent and it's harder to
identify trends with (thankfully) few data points- just one such
accident increases or decreases the numbers by 20-25%. Good if we can
keep it that way.

https://tinyurl.com/stpaulcar-ped-bike

Looking at the LA story, it seems as though the driver left the scene
and then came back, speeding through a red light and striking the victim
as well as nearly striking others. Does that make it intentional under
the law (vehicular assault or something like that)? I know nothing
about California law.

I also question the vigil blocking the public throughfare. Seems to me
that the point of the vigil could be made without that. Dunno, I guess
I am inclined to support civil disobedience rather than civil
disruption. We had some of that a couple of years ago with a prolonged
Black Lives Matter protest in front of the governor's mansion. That was
fine and I thought effective as well (although I know many people who
were annoyed by it and thought it should have been suppressed after a
day or two, which I didn't understand- it's the protesters' time to do
with as they choose); subsequently blocking an interstate highway in
protest was not (that highway has a troublesome history within the local
black community, so I get why the action was taken but IMHO it was not
helpful to their cause to do so).
Old April 13th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/13/2018 11:57 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
[...]

Out here in the real world, every solution brings its own
new problems:

https://nltimes.nl/2018/04/13/dutch-...fic-assoc-says

not just in Minnesota either!

Old April 13th 18, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/13/2018 12:57 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

There's been something of an upswing in car-pedestrian injuries in
particular. Car-bike injuries are less frequent and it's harder to
identify trends with (thankfully) few data points- just one such
accident increases or decreases the numbers by 20-25%. Good if we can
keep it that way.

https://tinyurl.com/stpaulcar-ped-bike

So 36 pedestrian injuries plus one pedestrian fatality, vs. 4 cyclist
injuries and no fatalities.

Yet lots of people are afraid to ride a bike, and almost none are afraid
to walk.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 13th 18, 10:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 3:53:21 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:

So 36 pedestrian injuries plus one pedestrian fatality, vs. 4 cyclist
injuries and no fatalities.

Yet lots of people are afraid to ride a bike, and almost none are afraid
to walk.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Similar. The murderous Second Amendment gun nuts could also say the vast majority of gun deaths in the USA are from suicide. NOT from the murderous Chicago gangsters murdering the good, saintly caucasians on their way to church every day. There are twice, double, 200% as many people killed by guns from suicide than murdered by guns. But we must have guns to protect ourselves from the murderous thugs, despite there is twice, double, 200% as much chance that you, your wife, child will put the gun in their mouth and blow their head off.
Old April 14th 18, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/13/2018 4:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

uh, crime mostly stays within the neighborhood and generally
does not cross ethnic lines (although naturally outliers
sell newspapers)

in re Chicago specifically
https://heyjackass.com/

Meanwhile 100 million+ law abiding armed citizens passed yet
another day uneventfully.

Anyone ever charged with felon in possession or other crimes
of illegal firearms in Chicago? Almost never, despite
strict, perhaps unconstitutional, barriers against the law
abiding citizens defending themselves.

(you're on your own with suicide I have no opinion and just
don't care)

Oh by the way Chicago had roughly as meany deaths by Heroin
as gunshots in 2016 and 2017. Wanna ban Heroin? Oh, right
we're working on that- for the past 100 years or so. Stay tuned.

Old April 14th 18, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 8:27:56 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Oh by the way Chicago had roughly as meany deaths by Heroin
as gunshots in 2016 and 2017. Wanna ban Heroin? Oh, right
we're working on that- for the past 100 years or so. Stay tuned.

So do you want heroin to be legally sold in groceries? Or what?

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 14th 18, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 13 Apr 2018 18:35:43 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

So do you want heroin to be legally sold in groceries? Or what?

I want it sold in the pharmacy, where people sign for it the way I
used to sign for paregoric before the people who should all be staked
out on anthills with a bottle of ant repellant just out of reach
decided that I should spend one day in twenty-eight in bed.

Note: paregoric is so dilute that after it was made a prescription
drug, the first doctor I asked refused on the grounds that I would
throw up before I could ingest enough to do me any good, and
prescribed morphine instead.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old April 14th 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/13/2018 8:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 8:27:56 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Oh by the way Chicago had roughly as meany deaths by Heroin
as gunshots in 2016 and 2017. Wanna ban Heroin? Oh, right
we're working on that- for the past 100 years or so. Stay tuned.

So do you want heroin to be legally sold in groceries? Or what?

News flash to Frank - any grocery parking lot.

I'm just duly noting the limits of legislative attempts to
form or change society.

Perhaps a better example might elucidate the point- how much
does Ohio garner from the Use Tax? Do you file every month?

Old April 14th 18, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 10:28:09 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/13/2018 8:35 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:

So do you want heroin to be legally sold in groceries? Or what?

News flash to Frank - any grocery parking lot.

"... legally sold ..."? I think not.

I'm just duly noting the limits of legislative attempts to
form or change society.

We know that there are limits. No laws are obeyed 100%. And there's always the
possibility of better laws. But I don't think that justifies removing all laws,
or permitting open sale of opioids.

- Frank Krygowski