Chains

Old April 26th 18, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Chains

What exactly is the difference between the Shimano high end (HG 93)
and the low end (HG 53) 9 speed chains? I know that the HG 93 is
labeled "for Ultegra/XT" and the HG 53 is labeled "for Deore & Tiagra"
but what is the actual difference.

Here the 93 is substantially more expensive then the 53 but if this
difference in price provides increased service then it may be worth
it.

I know that anything labeled "Ultegra" is, of course, better. But
better how? Higher speeds? Longer life? Better bragging rights?

Does anyone have any actual data?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 26th 18, 08:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

Does anyone have any actual data?

What does it say on the box? Should have a pin
length of 6.6-6.8 mm (1/4-9/32")...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old April 26th 18, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 09:33:32 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

Does anyone have any actual data?

What does it say on the box? Should have a pin
length of 6.6-6.8 mm (1/4-9/32")...

??? As I said, Shimano HG 53 and Shimano HG 93 chains. Both described
by Shimano as 9 speed chains.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 26th 18, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 9:26:37 AM UTC+2, John B. wrote:
What exactly is the difference between the Shimano high end (HG 93)
and the low end (HG 53) 9 speed chains? I know that the HG 93 is
labeled "for Ultegra/XT" and the HG 53 is labeled "for Deore & Tiagra"
but what is the actual difference.

Here the 93 is substantially more expensive then the 53 but if this
difference in price provides increased service then it may be worth
it.

I know that anything labeled "Ultegra" is, of course, better. But
better how? Higher speeds? Longer life? Better bragging rights?

Does anyone have any actual data?

--
Cheers,

John B.

Never used a HG53 chain but my LBS onced said that he takes a HG53 chain from a new sold bike, throw it away and put a better one on just to prevent warranty issues....

Lou
Old April 26th 18, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

What does it say on the box? Should have
a pin length of 6.6-6.8 mm (1/4-9/32")...

??? As I said, Shimano HG 53 and Shimano HG
93 chains. Both described by Shimano as 9
speed chains.

It is the external width of a 9S chain, all
brands. [1]

What does it say on the boxes, for the HG 53
and HG 93, except for the
Deore/Tiagra/Ultegra/XT stuff?

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_chain

Old April 27th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 13:33:19 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

What does it say on the box? Should have
a pin length of 6.6-6.8 mm (1/4-9/32")...

??? As I said, Shimano HG 53 and Shimano HG
93 chains. Both described by Shimano as 9
speed chains.

It is the external width of a 9S chain, all
brands. [1]

Are you saying that Shimano may be selling a 9 speed chain that
doesn't fit?

What does it say on the boxes, for the HG 53
and HG 93, except for the
Deore/Tiagra/Ultegra/XT stuff?

It says that it is a 9 speed chain :-)

Old April 27th 18, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 1:17:12 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
I think my last bike came with an HG93. Anyway, it looks like the main
difference is the plating.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c...ain/rp-prod656

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c...in/rp-prod6053

Oddly, CRC has the 93 priced a bit lower.

There's weirdness like this in many manufacturers' lines. Huge internet retailers select some item from a manufacturer's list as a best buy, buy a quantity so hew yuge that they have to schedule deliveries through the year, and get a deepdeepdeep discount, whereas of a lesser item from the same line they buy relatively few, and thus pay more per unit, and thus price the lesser item higher.

Another chain example: The right and most economical chain to fit to a Rohloff installation is undoubtedly the KMC Z8 in one of its variations (depending on whether you have a Chainglider fitted or whether you want a shiny open chain), a single speed chain that doesn't have a whole lot of side play built in because it isn't necessary. That's the theory anyway. The equivalent derailleur chain, with trickier construction to give the necessary flexibility for derailleur use, is the X8. However, for years now, it has been pretty obvious that CRC, whose head office is up the road here, buys the X8 in bulk and comparatively few of the Z8, because, generally speaking, and especially at big sales, the X8 is cheaper from them, as from most other really big dealers, than the Z8 -- if at any moment you can even order a Z8 from them.

I posted a worked cost-benefit analysis at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....86976#msg86976
The Z7 RB is used in the table instead of the Z8 because that was the one we could get a price for. The Z8 RB is better but would be even less economical.

AJ
Of course it's bizarre to obsess about the pennies that chain wear costs, but I'm a bicyclist
Old April 27th 18, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

John B. wrote:

It is the external width of a 9S chain,
all brands.

Are you saying that Shimano may be selling
a 9 speed chain that doesn't fit?

I'm saying that's all the data I have on
9S chains. "All brands" includes Shimano,
assuming the information is correct that is.
Check with a calipers or a micrometer...

What does it say on the boxes, for the HG 53
and HG 93, except for the
Deore/Tiagra/Ultegra/XT stuff?

It says that it is a 9 speed chain :-)

Oh, c'mon now! Even on the boxes to my single
speed standard bike chains it says,
e.g., Ventura 1/2x1/8" 112L, that it comes with
a master link, a side plate and a retaining
clip, and more...

Old April 28th 18, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 27 Apr 2018 12:06:39 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. wrote:

It is the external width of a 9S chain,
all brands.

Are you saying that Shimano may be selling
a 9 speed chain that doesn't fit?

I'm saying that's all the data I have on
9S chains. "All brands" includes Shimano,
assuming the information is correct that is.
Check with a calipers or a micrometer...

What does it say on the boxes, for the HG 53
and HG 93, except for the
Deore/Tiagra/Ultegra/XT stuff?

It says that it is a 9 speed chain :-)

Oh, c'mon now! Even on the boxes to my single
speed standard bike chains it says,
e.g., Ventura 1/2x1/8" 112L, that it comes with
a master link, a side plate and a retaining
clip, and more...

I Don't understand why you keep asking for information that is
unnecessary. Shimano markets a 9 speed chain, in two different models,
and have for years and years, and the chains have, over the years, fit
well and worked well with the Shimano 9 speed system.
Why do you require more information.

Are you the sort of person that demands his new bicycle come complete
with a placard that states it has two wheels?
--
Cheers,

John B.

New Chains Ken[_2_] Australia 6 May 4th 07 02:48 AM
chains Dan Gregory Racing 0 April 1st 07 02:49 PM
chains.... again..... Keyser Sose UK 3 October 10th 06 01:29 AM
chains Thrasher Remailer Techniques 2 May 18th 05 04:11 PM
New Chains David Nutter UK 2 September 10th 03 10:17 PM