decided to enter my first mtb race/need advice

Old February 24th 05, 03:58 AM
The Gist

Default decided to enter my first mtb race/need advice

I decided to enter my first moutain bike race. The race is not until the
end of May so I have a good three months to polish my act up.
My current ride is kind of crap. A specialized I got back in '99 but
have since added front shocks to, new pedals, derailleur, cassette, and
a few other parts that I may be forgetting(seat post, saddle? can't
quite remember). I just had and still have a bit of sentimental
attachment on the beast and haven't gone about getting a new ride yet in
deference to it.
Anyway, I figure it should be ok for my first race anyway so that isn't
my biggest concern. Besides the basics of a helmet and maybe some riding
gloves any other recommeneded equipment. What sort of helmet is
recommended? The one I have right now is decent but not the studiest one
around. Any other equipment recommendations? I am decent enough shape
having been hitting the gym over the long cold winter but seeing as I
have 3 months or so does anyone have any endurance building advice that
fits in with the fact that its going to be pretty damn cold in my
location for the next month or two?

Old March 9th 05, 01:13 AM
Bill H.

One thing that I think would help, thought it might not be possible,
would be getting a friend or riding buddy to enter the race with you.
The two of you (or group) could train together and keep each other
motivated as well.

I've always thought that doing something new with is a lot easier when
you have a friend to do it with you.

I am planning to, sometime this year, enter MY first race. But I've
got a LONG way to go to get myself in good enough shape to keep from
embarassing myself. Plus, it's really hard to light a cigarette and
handle difficult singletrack at the same time, so I decided to quit
smoking.

Good luck, have fun, and don't be intimidated. Ride a lot but don't
burn yourself out.

-Bill H.

Old May 7th 05, 04:06 AM
Roger Cortesi

If you can ride the course, or even just the park, a couple of times
before the race that will help a lot.

roger

--
To email me, remove the greeting from my email address.

(for athletes) The Digital Athletic Log http://rogercortesi.com/athleticlog/

(for nerds) The Online Equation Editor http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/