Specialized Epic frame size

Old January 23rd 07, 02:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Specialized Epic frame size

Hello all,
I am interested in buying Specialized Epic FSR bike. My problem is that
I cannot try it before I buy it because I have to order it. I heard
that Specialized Epic is for small people. My question is referred to
Specialized Epic owners, I am 192cm (6'3'') tall so would be XL frame
saze enough for me? Once I ride an L size of Specialized Epic and it
was too small for me.

Old January 24th 07, 01:28 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
NotaKnob

On Jan 23, 3:02 pm, "JD" wrote:
wrote:
Hello all,
I am interested in buying Specialized Epic FSR bike. My problem is that
I cannot try it before I buy it because I have to order it. I heard
that Specialized Epic is for small people. My question is referred to
Specialized Epic owners, I am 192cm (6'3'') tall so would be XL frame
saze enough for me? Once I ride an L size of Specialized Epic and it
was too small for me.If you weigh over 200 lbs, get a sturdier bike if it's going to be for

anything other than a "season" of racing or an occasional light xc
bike. Those frames are pretty wimpy for bigger riders.

I'll agree with that. I've got an Epic and if I weighed much more I'd
be afraid of killing the rear shock on downhills.

If a large was too small, I'd move over to their other framesets.

Bruce

Old January 24th 07, 02:27 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

NotaKnob wrote:
On Jan 23, 3:02 pm, "JD" wrote:
wrote:
Hello all,
I am interested in buying Specialized Epic FSR bike. My problem is that
I cannot try it before I buy it because I have to order it. I heard
that Specialized Epic is for small people. My question is referred to
Specialized Epic owners, I am 192cm (6'3'') tall so would be XL frame
saze enough for me? Once I ride an L size of Specialized Epic and it
was too small for me.If you weigh over 200 lbs, get a sturdier bike if it's going to be for

anything other than a "season" of racing or an occasional light xc
bike. Those frames are pretty wimpy for bigger riders.

I'll agree with that. I've got an Epic and if I weighed much more I'd
be afraid of killing the rear shock on downhills.

If a large was too small, I'd move over to their other framesets.

Bruce

I weigh 225 and have been racing this frame for 2 years without a
problem and remember if the frame does break theres a life time warranty :-)
Old January 24th 07, 08:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Boyd

wizardB said the following on 24/01/2007 02:27:

I weigh 225 and have been racing this frame for 2 years without a
problem and remember if the frame does break theres a life time warranty
:-)

Does the warranty still apply if you're that weight? Some frames have a
recommended maximum rider weight - a fact that could be used by a
manufacturer to wriggle out of the warranty. I've no idea whether
Specialized would do this, but it's just a thought.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 24th 07, 03:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
wizardB

Paul Boyd wrote:
wizardB said the following on 24/01/2007 02:27:

I weigh 225 and have been racing this frame for 2 years without a
problem and remember if the frame does break theres a life time
warranty :-)

Does the warranty still apply if you're that weight? Some frames have a
recommended maximum rider weight - a fact that could be used by a
manufacturer to wriggle out of the warranty. I've no idea whether
Specialized would do this, but it's just a thought.

Before I bought the Epic I had as a light XC bike a Specialized XC FSR
that I bought to see what I though of a full suspension XC bike,I
cracked the top tube and Specialized was going to replace it that week
but instead I made a deal paid a few extra bucks and got myself the Epic
frame from them.So yes they stand behind their bikes and try to please
their customers when it comes to frame replacement.
PS they never even asked my weight even when I asked
them to send a XL rather than the large they were replacing.
Old January 24th 07, 04:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

NotaKnob wrote:
On Jan 23, 3:02 pm, "JD" wrote:

wrote:

Hello all,
I am interested in buying Specialized Epic FSR bike. My problem is that
I cannot try it before I buy it because I have to order it. I heard
that Specialized Epic is for small people. My question is referred to
Specialized Epic owners, I am 192cm (6'3'') tall so would be XL frame
saze enough for me? Once I ride an L size of Specialized Epic and it
was too small for me.If you weigh over 200 lbs, get a sturdier bike if it's going to be for

anything other than a "season" of racing or an occasional light xc
bike. Those frames are pretty wimpy for bigger riders.

I'll agree with that. I've got an Epic and if I weighed much more I'd
be afraid of killing the rear shock on downhills.

If a large was too small, I'd move over to their other framesets.

Bruce

I blew out my rear shock on a '03 S-Works and I only weigh about 150
Lbs. Not sure if it was the way I was riding (not unlikely) or just a
random failure. The good part of the story is I had a new shock on the
bike from them within a few days under warranty. It's been good for two
seasons since.

Matt
Old January 24th 07, 09:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paul Boyd

On 24/01/2007 15:06, wizardB said,

So yes they stand behind their bikes and try to please
their customers when it comes to frame replacement.

Fair enough!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 25th 07, 09:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Jan 23, 6:27 pm, whizzerP wrote:
I weigh 225 and have been racing this frame for 2 years without a
problem and remember if the frame does break theres a life time warranty

That's 'cuz you float like a butthair guy and drink your own pee.

A warranty truly makes things better when one has to wait for a new
frame in the midst of their riding "season", dumbass.

JD