Building a skills area, and perhaps paging Penny?

Old March 27th 07, 07:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Building a skills area, and perhaps paging Penny?

I've decided to build some obstacles in my back yard so that I can
build some skill when I have 30-60 free minutes, as opposed to
spending time driving to and from the trails when I don't have much
time to begin with. I'm also thinking it will give me somewhere to
use the MTB when it's nice but all the trails are too muddy, as should
be the case for the next couple months.

In searching I found some stuff from CDB building in his back yard,
and Penny mentioning a folder full of digital pictures available to
anyone interested. It's 2-1/2 years later, but I'd love to see
anything like this. My yard is small and I want to keep it usable as
a spot to hang by the fire, so I'll be looking to build the stuff
that'll keep me the most entertained without taking too much space.

So far I'm thinking a double-hinged section of ladders (thanks CDB)
that pivot as I ride over them parallel to the back fence, with
perhaps a teeter-totter and/or an elevated sharp turn leading into or
dropping onto the ladders?

Any articles, books, pics or tips I should check out are appreciated.

TIA,

Dan

Old March 27th 07, 08:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Mar 27, 12:35 pm, " wrote:
[...]

I just gave most of my stuff to a buddy, who has incorporated my
ladders & teeter totter into his pump track & skills area of his back
yard. I found I wasn't riding it as much as I thought I would, and he
has 3 crazy kids who love to ride that stuff with him. And I go over
there all the time anyway.

Penny's pictures are great.

I used mostly 2x4's and 2x6's scrounged from construction sites and
crap I had laying around. Make sure you screw the boards, not just
nail them. And be careful letting people walk on what you build. A
300lb well-meaning galoot named Sam busted a stair-step section I'd
made by putting all his weight down on one section.

Have fun.

CDB - formerly of North Shore Extreem

Old March 27th 07, 10:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Penny S

It's not real hard to search the web for images and ideas. But here is
this.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...um2/index.html

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old March 28th 07, 01:29 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Mar 27, 1:50 pm, "Penny S" none wrote:
It's not real hard to search the web for images and ideas. But here is
this.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...um2/index.html

Penny! Shame on you for top-posting...

BTW, I'll be getting that item to you in the mail probably later this
week. I need to get a seat bag before sending it so I can carry a
spare tube & junk on my rides. I've been in such a steady groove for
riding lately, having it has overridden being sent away for
replication.

JD

Old March 28th 07, 01:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Penny S

in a freaking hurry - massive gis data project going on for our open space
project... sooo busy.....
ups.com...

Old March 28th 07, 01:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Mar 27, 3:19 pm, "Paladin" wrote:
I just gave most of my stuff to a buddy, who has incorporated my
ladders & teeter totter into his pump track & skills area of his back
yard. I found I wasn't riding it as much as I thought I would, and he
has 3 crazy kids who love to ride that stuff with him. And I go over
there all the time anyway.

Penny's pictures are great.

I used mostly 2x4's and 2x6's scrounged from construction sites and
crap I had laying around. Make sure you screw the boards, not just
nail them. And be careful letting people walk on what you build. A
300lb well-meaning galoot named Sam busted a stair-step section I'd
made by putting all his weight down on one section.

Have fun.

CDB - formerly of North Shore Extreem- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the pointers. That's unfortunate about Sam, and I know
exactly who the "Sam" is in my life, so I'll keep a cautious eye. I'm
excited to have something for the mud season, but imagine I'll get
bored with mine as well. It may very well end up being 3 or 4
obstacles that are always changing, time will tell. It'll at least
give me something do to for the thaw between snow riding & the end of
mud season.

Thanks again.

On Mar 27, 5:50 pm, "Penny S" none wrote:
It's not real hard to search the web for images and ideas. But here is
this.

http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/pen...um2/index.html

I've found some stuff with google, but searching these groups led me
to believe your pictures were better than most. Thank you for the
link, my reasearch stage is now complete! For now, at least.

Dan