Do you carry a gun while out on a ride?

Old June 17th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

Default Do you carry a gun while out on a ride?

(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I'm not advocating violence at all, but it seems that, of all places
where the gun may be necessary, the cyclist may have the most pressing
need for it. Almost as much, let's say, as a pump and a multi-wrench
tool.

So let's hear from the pacifists and the NRA people alike...

I think a water gun would be a good option. The guy may suffer from a
heart attack, but then you respond with a random act of kindness and
spray his windshield.

That would teach him two lessons: Not to mess with the cyclists and
that we are a friendly bunch!

Welcome to the Jungle

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
Old June 18th 08, 06:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:30:24 -0700 (PDT)
KingOfTheApes wrote:

[...]

A heat-seeking missile that plugs the tailpipe would be good. Or maybe
a launcher that splats unpleasant goo down the side of anything that
passes too close. If someone pulled a gun on me when I was driving I'd
flatten him.

Old June 18th 08, 08:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

In news:20080618064735.015baf8a@bluemoon,
tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
KingOfTheApes wrote:

[...]

Will you ****ing idiots kindly stop posting this drivel to uk.rec.cycling?

This has been a public service announcement.

--
Col. Sandy Volestrangler (Mrs.)

Old June 18th 08, 01:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
dgk

wrote:

(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I'm not advocating violence at all, but it seems that, of all places
where the gun may be necessary, the cyclist may have the most pressing
need for it. Almost as much, let's say, as a pump and a multi-wrench
tool.

So let's hear from the pacifists and the NRA people alike...

Wouldn't that add too much weight?
Old June 18th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
[...]

That is way too much gear to haul. Guns are heavy, especially on hills. All
guys carry an on-board liquid supply with a user actuated flexible delivery
system. Demonstrate real man fitness, jump onto the hood of the car and
perform the windshield cleaning ritual. It is sure to be a YouTube hit. In
fact, we can host a video contest, judged like any Olympic level event.
Height, distance, flow, color, pattern and grip style are all considered in
the point score. It will be the cycling version of the ever-popular bull
riding on Versus. Will windshield wipers serve as reins?

Bruce

Old June 18th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

wrote:
(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I'm not advocating violence at all, but it seems that, of all places
where the gun may be necessary, the cyclist may have the most pressing
need for it. Almost as much, let's say, as a pump and a multi-wrench
tool.

So let's hear from the pacifists and the NRA people alike...

Wouldn't that add too much weight?- Hide quoted text -

Compact grenade launchers are best...

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/images/mb_agx_jpg.jpg

Sorry, out of stock!
Old June 18th 08, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

(Some people may be surprised that we in America have the need to
carry a gun when riding a bike, but then we should remind them the
bicycle has a place in violent places)

Originally Posted by evan_phi
(from Canada)
"jeeeeesus 8-ballin' christ..."

Why are you surprised??

Bicycles were iniatially set up for WWI. And I believe the special
commandos still use them...

http://www.combatreform.com/atb.htm

See, Iraq seems to be a bike friendly place --provided you carry the
right guns.

I always love the James Bond music, don't you guys?
Old June 18th 08, 02:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

(Notice I'm accused here of promoting "armed insurrection." Well, it
depends what you understand by "gun")

Originally Posted by st0ut
"The OP would like to see who carries a firearm to ward off cars( that
in his mind threaten him.)
He is too afraid to ride and think the only way for the streets to be
safe is armed insurrection. In this case the OP should NOT have a
firearm. has he views himself as judge and jury. And General of his
revolution.
Basically he wants to take pot shots and anyone that gets tooo close
to him. or yells out the window."

You've been reading too much Mao lately... Me, armed insurrection?

Oh yes, my gun is a banana. They are the perfect weapon since I can
simply eat them, but if you carry it in your pocket it'll look like
something else... a gun, you know.

Then you can say, "Stick 'em up!" or "Stick it in!" Whatever that
shows you a tough contender.

NOTE: This is not promotion but I've got a T-shirt that says, "That
thing in pocket is only a banana!"
Old June 18th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
PoB

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
| (I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
| but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
| practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)
|
| Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
| are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.
|
| I'm not advocating violence at all, but it seems that, of all places
| where the gun may be necessary, the cyclist may have the most pressing
| need for it. Almost as much, let's say, as a pump and a multi-wrench
| tool.
|
| So let's hear from the pacifists and the NRA people alike...

I've often wondered about strapping a punt gun to the underside of the boom
of my 'bent, add the trigger to the hardware on my bars - half a pound of
lead shot should grab the attention of even the most vacuous of cagers.

True, the reload time for one of these is measured on a calendar, but
there's not normally any need to reload, as anything in front of you for
about 50 yards tends to quietly evaporate.

Some people may think that this is a tad over the top, but, you know, you've
gotta get their attention somehow

pOB

Old June 18th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jun 18, 10:27*am, "PoB" wrote:

Some people may think that this is a tad over the top, but, you know, you've
gotta get their attention somehow

pOB

And I've found out that "somehow" to be...

Originally Posted by chipcom
"I would have a pang of remorse reading that t-shirt after I shot
you...but your day would be pretty much ruined."

None of your weapons address the predator before he eats you. He flies
by you and shouts, "Hey *******, get off my road!" And speeds away.
You are left humiliated and powerless, even if you carry a gun.

I, on the other hand, have other T-shirt that says, "Hungry?" Then on
back, "You can eat my banana!"* I call it pre-emptive strike... Hey,
you may even get some chick out there --who happens to be hungry. Just
carry bananas.

PS: It's not what you think. That's what the monkey told the hungry
lion. And guess what the lion told the monkey...?

Why LBS only carry certain brands? Ablang General 4 May 18th 08 11:53 PM
Another reason to carry your digital camera on a ride Mike Jacoubowsky General 22 December 25th 07 02:22 AM
How many of you carry [email protected] Australia 42 February 15th 07 04:22 AM
Must carry notebook! EuanB Australia 10 May 22nd 05 03:41 AM
do you carry ID? aeek Australia 40 July 14th 04 11:27 PM