Do you carry a gun while out on a ride?

Old June 20th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

Default Do you carry a gun while out on a ride?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 07:38:59 -0500
"Amy Blankenship" wrote:

Could we adopt a policy of not responding to this guy? I have him
comfortably filtered out, but when people respond I have to see what
they are responding to.

So get a newsreader that can filter on message content as well as
headers. :-)

Old June 20th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
KingOfTheApes

On Jun 20, 9:18*am, Pat wrote:
On Jun 20, 8:38*am, "Amy Blankenship"

wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

On Jun 19, 5:25 pm, KingOfTheApes wrote:

Originally Posted by chipcom
"Hint: you can't...what needs to be controlled are humans and their
behavior...not the tools they use."

I think the wild monkeys (those that display primitive behavior, like
aggression) should be put in a cage.

But since they look like humans, they figure the chances of being
caught are slim, particularly since nobody cares about nothing any
more. Some are being caught, but mainly because the police is looking
to i$$ue as many tickets as po$$ible.

If undercover policemen were to ride the roads, then the wild monkeys
would think twice before pushing around people on bikes. I wonder why
a society that puts undercover hookers out there, doesn't care that
much about the cyclists. Yeah, we know prostitution is a sin, but so
is bullying cyclists...

This is leading into religious morality, is it not?

9 of the 16 posts in the thread are from you --including multiple
times where you reply to yourself. *This, after you swore "I'm not
going to be posting here for a while --unless requested". *Well, guess
what, no one is requesting you to post. *You're just embarrassing
yourself by posting like this. *You're just posting to hear yourself
talk. *Go get a life. *Your gig working for "Big Oil" is up. *Your
cover is blown.

If you're worried that people hate bikers. *Guess what. *It's because
of people like you. *You're a disgrace.

Could we adopt a policy of not responding to this guy? *I have him
comfortably filtered out, but when people respond I have to see what they
are responding to.

Thanks!- Hide quoted text -

Hey, this is my first response to the guy since ... I don't know
when. *My other post to him wasn't really a "response". *But yes, in
general I ignore him. *Unfortunately, that means pretty much ignoring
the whole NG which he pretty much killed.- Hide quoted text -

Don't put it that bad. This group is alive and kicking, particularly
after my candidacy...

(this is probably my last post in 4 years)

Well, just assuming...

Suppose I ran for president, and I was serious about cycling, what
would I have to do to deserve your vote?

This article cites some of the things that need to be done to promote
biking...

(notice they are for the revolution too)

The Revolution Will Not Be Motorized
Is Austin finally giving bicyclists a little respect?

'Elkinton has observed a marked rise in transportation-bicycling
interest this year, motivated most strongly, he says, "by the
increasing price of gas and goods."'

1- Tax gasoline to promote bike facilities.

'One question planners already know the answer to is why people avoid
transportation cycling: safety.'

2- Implement bike paths and bike lanes or where necessary implement
slow lanes enforced by speed cameras.

"promote the heck out of it."

3- Promotion, promotion, promotion. Without it, the people won't come
out their cages.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...oid=oid:621776

Oh, thank you very much for your vote, and see you in four years.

Old June 21st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
emanon

"KingOfTheApes" wrote in message
(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I'm not advocating violence at all, but it seems that, of all places
where the gun may be necessary, the cyclist may have the most pressing
need for it. Almost as much, let's say, as a pump and a multi-wrench
tool.

So let's hear from the pacifists and the NRA people alike...

I think a water gun would be a good option. The guy may suffer from a
heart attack, but then you respond with a random act of kindness and
spray his windshield.

That would teach him two lessons: Not to mess with the cyclists and
that we are a friendly bunch!

Welcome to the Jungle

http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

No, of course not. Too much extra weight ;-{)}

Old June 22nd 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Doug Smith W9WI

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:30:24 -0700, KingOfTheApes wrote:

(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I wish I could carry a sawed-off shotgun on my bike.

Have never felt the need to shoot a human, but can think of plenty of dogs
that could stand a few dozen pellets.

Old June 22nd 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Doug Smith W9WI writes:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:30:24 -0700, KingOfTheApes wrote:

(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I wish I could carry a sawed-off shotgun on my bike.

Have never felt the need to shoot a human, but can think of plenty of dogs
that could stand a few dozen pellets.

Revenge is a temptation that diminishes us.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old June 22nd 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

"Amy Blankenship" wrote:

Could we adopt a policy of not responding to this guy? I have him
comfortably filtered out, but when people respond I have to see
what they are responding to.

So get a newsreader that can filter on message content as well as
headers. :-)

Recommendations?

On Windows I use Microplanet Gravity
and on Linux I use Claws Mail http://www.claws-mail.org/
Many other posters will no doubt have their own preferences.

Old June 22nd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

Rob Morley wrote:

Recommendations?

On Windows I use Microplanet Gravity
and on Linux I use Claws Mail http://www.claws-mail.org/
Many other posters will no doubt have their own preferences.

Thanks Rob. I'll give those a go.

Steve
Old June 25th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Patrick Lamb

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 21:37:09 -0500, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 15:30:24 -0700, KingOfTheApes wrote:

(I'm not going to be posting here for a while --unless requested--,
but in case you are not protected by the revolution soon, here's some
practical advice so you can survive under the worst conditions)

Well, it seems that self-defense sometimes calls for a gun, and there
are plenty of offenses committed against cyclists out there.

I wish I could carry a sawed-off shotgun on my bike.

Have never felt the need to shoot a human, but can think of plenty of dogs
that could stand a few dozen pellets.

I was thinking yesterday afternoon about a paint ball gun to adorn a
certain maroon pick-em-up truck (driven by another maroon).

Email address works as is.
Old June 25th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 21:09:18 -0500, Patrick Lamb
wrote:

I was thinking yesterday afternoon about a paint ball gun to adorn a
certain maroon pick-em-up truck (driven by another maroon).

Yellow contrasts nicely.
--
zk

Why LBS only carry certain brands? Ablang General 4 May 18th 08 11:53 PM
Another reason to carry your digital camera on a ride Mike Jacoubowsky General 22 December 25th 07 02:22 AM
How many of you carry [email protected] Australia 42 February 15th 07 04:22 AM
Must carry notebook! EuanB Australia 10 May 22nd 05 03:41 AM
do you carry ID? aeek Australia 40 July 14th 04 11:27 PM