My new hack.

Old May 1st 04, 08:16 PM
Doki

Default My new hack.

£5 got me a Puch "Elegance" in a horrid shade of purple, complete with 3
speed Sturmey Archer hub, a flat front tyre, steel wheels and very evil
purple paintwork. Anyone got any ideas on how hard it would be to dismantle
(metric or imperial nuts??) and paint black? I'm not bothered about having a
the best finish in the world, just tidying up the flecks of rust and having
something that isn't purple .

Old May 1st 04, 08:33 PM
MSeries

Doki wrote:
£5 got me a Puch "Elegance" in a horrid shade of purple, complete
with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, a flat front tyre, steel wheels and
very evil purple paintwork. Anyone got any ideas on how hard it would
be to dismantle (metric or imperial nuts??) and paint black? I'm not
bothered about having a the best finish in the world, just tidying up
the flecks of rust and having something that isn't purple .

Easy with the right tools and plenty of grunt. Could just dismantle as far
as you can and mask out the rest. You may have problems getting some bits
out such as headset and BB. Would be worthwhile dismantling, cleaning and
relubing as much as you can anyway

Sounds like a bit of a classic you've got there.

Old May 1st 04, 09:28 PM
Doki

MSeries wrote:
Doki wrote:
£5 got me a Puch "Elegance" in a horrid shade of purple, complete
with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, a flat front tyre, steel wheels and
very evil purple paintwork. Anyone got any ideas on how hard it would
be to dismantle (metric or imperial nuts??) and paint black? I'm not
bothered about having a the best finish in the world, just tidying up
the flecks of rust and having something that isn't purple .

Easy with the right tools and plenty of grunt. Could just dismantle
as far as you can and mask out the rest. You may have problems
getting some bits out such as headset and BB. Would be worthwhile
dismantling, cleaning and relubing as much as you can anyway

Sounds like a bit of a classic you've got there.

It's surprisingly light. I've only ridden it about 6 feet, but when I've
carried it about it doesn't seem to be any heavier than my hardtail MTB with
lamps fitted. Need to get a wire brush out on the steel wheels and have a
look at the hub tomorrow to see what year it is. I'll be laughing for a
month if it's a rare one... Anyone got any ideas on tubes and tyres on these
things?

Old May 2nd 04, 12:27 AM
Pete Biggs

Doki wrote:
£5 got me a Puch "Elegance" in a horrid shade of purple, complete
with 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub, a flat front tyre, steel wheels and
very evil purple paintwork. Anyone got any ideas on how hard it
would
be to dismantle (metric or imperial nuts??)

Metric or imperial - depends on make & vintage. I don't know Puch.
Plenty of SA 3sp bikes have metric nuts.

and paint black? I'm not
bothered about having a the best finish in the world, just tidying
up the flecks of rust and having something that isn't purple .

I would just remove the "easy" bits, leaving and masking everything else,
including BB & headset.

Easy with the right tools and plenty of grunt. Could just dismantle
as far as you can and mask out the rest. You may have problems
getting some bits out such as headset and BB. Would be worthwhile
dismantling, cleaning and relubing as much as you can anyway

Sounds like a bit of a classic you've got there.

No comment :-)

It's surprisingly light. I've only ridden it about 6 feet, but when
I've carried it about it doesn't seem to be any heavier than my
hardtail MTB with lamps fitted. Need to get a wire brush out on the
steel wheels

....Then give them a go with metal polish paste.

and have a look at the hub tomorrow to see what year it
is. I'll be laughing for a month if it's a rare one... Anyone got any
ideas on tubes and tyres on these things?

LBS should have suitable tyres and tubes, or browse St John's Street
Cycles. Check the ISO number from the rims/tyres - probably the old 26"
size. Michelin World Tour will do if you want to keep costs down.

~PB

Tylers team broke handlebars; hack saw seen at start line Ronde Champ Racing 15 July 8th 04 02:40 PM
Secondhand Training Hack Jack Ouzzi UK 2 February 2nd 04 12:54 AM
Converting an old hack to fixed Zog The Undeniable UK 5 October 21st 03 11:00 AM