From the sidewalk to the road :)

Old September 27th 05, 11:01 PM
oldfatboy

Default From the sidewalk to the road :)

After a few 85-90 foot trips on the sidewalk, I finally decided to try
the road. It is old, cracked/pot-holed pavement, but I decided to give
it a try on the 20".
A side-road goes behind all the double-wide trailers where our garages
are, so I started there. I actually went 100 yards or so and then a
little around the corner. I had to dismount because I was about to ride
into the hedge I did this about 4 times and then decided to walk
back across the yard to the main road. I leaned against my car, mounted
the 20" and took off down the road. Again I got about 300 ft. before
*falling off*.
I did that about 4 times and then tried practicing trying to mount from
the curb. That will take a while since for me (being a newbie) the
*crown* on the road is pretty steep I kept falling off. It could be
my legs were starting to give out on me, but I was so excited that I
wanted to keep trying.
Several cars drove by me and generally they all smiled or waved. One
fairly elderly lady walked out to her car, saw me and said "you're sure
brave!" I laughed and said "yeah and a little crazy too!" She got a
good laugh out of that and headed back into her trailer.
I tried a few more mounts by using the car, but started getting pretty
clumsy so decided to quit.
I was hoping to be able to do this by the 24th (my one month anniversary
to be on a unicycle), but even though I didn't make it by that date, at
least I am getting it done!
Once I get a little smoother and cleaner, then I will start trying on
the 24". I really want to get going on it because pedalling that 20" is
a workout for this ofb

--
oldfatboy - user name says it all

"I got to get me one of these!"

oldfatboy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10599

Old September 27th 05, 11:52 PM
harper

oldfatboy wrote:
*
I was hoping to be able to do this by the 24th (my one month
anniversary to be on a unicycle), but even though I didn't make it by
that date, at least I am getting it done! *

Yeah. This sounds like success to me. Congratulations. You'll be
whizzing around on that 24" in no time.

--
harper - HOT!

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

*there is no main man other than jc.*

"You guys aren't thinking this through. Hey, where's your other... BANG.
" - Brian MacKenzie

Old September 28th 05, 01:17 AM
chosen

itll be awesome when you can ride forever. and it sounds like you have
made good progress.

o and exactly how old are you?

--
chosen - kinda

is it worth it can you even hear me standing with the spotlight on me
chosen's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9281

Old September 28th 05, 02:14 AM
habbywall

since when do you have a twenty inch?
please link my to the post i missed

--
habbywall - idont care how to change this title

It takes twice the man to ride half the bike.
mac g4 10.4, 20 gb ipod 3rd gen with linux

habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

Old September 28th 05, 05:37 AM
oldfatboy

habbywall wrote:
*since when do you have a twenty inch?
please link my to the post i missed *

habbywall, sorry you missed it. Here is link and quote:
http://tinyurl.com/8obw3
"Hey everybody, great news
35+ft today and had to stop there because I ran out of *real estate*
(sidewalk)! I was going good so continued out to the lamp-post and
stopped there. The post is actually in the lawn, so I went to the end of
concrete. I couldn't get around the lamp-post anyway and wasn't about to
try a 3 inch drop to the lawn
Also, and it looks like I didn't post it, but I was talked into buying a
20" Torker LX, so I already have 2 unicycles!! I did the 35 ft on the
20".
It's a long story about estate money, but I said ok (I honestly was
against spending money), and ordered it.
Sure different than riding a 24" (from a newbie viewpoint).
Any way, just wanted to tell you all the good news.
Thanks for all your help and encouragement (that makes it hard to quit
but I don't want to or intend to anyway!)."

The patio is 65feet long (length of the trailer) and ends at the
lamp-post.
However, between the trailer and the edge of the patio (concrete) is a

24foot section of sidewalk that goes out to the curb of the road.
I never expected to lean far enough to the left to make it to the
sidewalk section, so I ended at the lamppost when I got that far. Once I
started making it all the way to the curb, I decided to *hit the road*

Only problem with that is that the road, besides the poor condition, is
made with chipped rock. When I dismount, it really shreds the front of
the grip/handle. I literally have shreds of plastic hanging down in
front

Chosen, just shy of 53.

Old September 28th 05, 07:59 PM
cathwood

Sounds like you're making great progress ofb. There will come a time in
a couple of months when it is no longer such hard work and unicycling
becomes a pleasure. Almost flying.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old September 28th 05, 09:01 PM
oldfatboy

That's what I am hoping/looking/aiming for.
Should my son come down for a visit sometime, I gotta be ready for him
or the teasing will be *unmerciful*

Old September 28th 05, 09:22 PM
totally_hooked

Good job ofb,

like I said in a previous post, you'll be whizzing off down the corner
shop before you know it (assuming that you have corner shops in your
neck of the woods).

Hooked

--
totally_hooked - U

Unicycling is better than Prozac
totally_hooked's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10069

Old September 30th 05, 02:47 AM
oldfatboy

The corner shops aren't too far away
I did make it somewhere between 200 and 300 yards a couple of times this
evening and then put in a good 1/4 mile. I actually had to stop at the
"T" in the road!
I am trying to learn curb mounting, but I am no good at that so far, so
I have to walk back to the car, mount, and take off again. A few retired
couples were sitting outside and were watching my progress. I'm sure I
gave them a good free show for the night.
I still have a lot of work to do on my *form*. The wheel probably turns
15 degrees with each pedal stroke. About the time I get *straight*, then
I am leaning too far forward...then "off to the races" to catch up with
myself!
This road is quite the obstacle course with all the cracks, potholes,
manholes, steep crown, etc. I'm sure it would be a nice ride for most of
you, but for ofb, it's quite the adventure. I am all over the road
searching for the easiest crossing. I'm probably doing maneuvers now
that a pro couldn't do!
Oh well, still moving onward and forward.
The 24" is going to be a luxury when I get going on it .

Old September 30th 05, 08:20 AM
munidobs

oldfatboy Wrote:

This road is quite the obstacle course with all the cracks, potholes,
manholes, steep crown, etc. I'm sure it would be a nice ride for most
of you, but for ofb, it's quite the adventure. I am all over the road
searching for the easiest crossing. I'm probably doing maneuvers now
that a pro couldn't do!
Oh well, still moving onward and forward.
The 24" is going to be a luxury when I get going on it .

YAY !! to ye, OFB. Won't be long before you order that 36" you are
hankering after (or should be) and you will cruise over those pesky
cracks, potholes and raised-ironworks, just like they weren't there.

Chris

--
munidobs

Don't go out without your sundried bananas !
munidobs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8790