29er vs. 650B

Old January 20th 08, 03:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crescentius Vespasianus

Default 29er vs. 650B

I read in the mag Mountain Biking, the
battle is no longer the 29er vs 26er,
because everyone is in agreement that
the 26er is history. But the 29er has a
problem in that small people, but the
650B can fit both tall and short. They
think there will be a period where the
29er gains more every year against the
26 inch, until the 26 inch is dropped,
and the 650B will be adopted as the
standard wheel for mtb. They said 26er
will still be sold but only at K-Mart,
and Costco. What they didn't say is if
the industry adopts the 650B, what will
happen to the 29er. I own both a 26er
and a 29er and to me there is no
comparison. One is a bike for adults,
and the other is a kids bike.
Old January 20th 08, 04:47 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Marz

On Jan 19, 9:13 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:
I read in the mag Mountain Biking, the
battle is no longer the 29er vs 26er,
because everyone is in agreement that
the 26er is history. But the 29er has a
problem in that small people, but the
650B can fit both tall and short. They
think there will be a period where the
29er gains more every year against the
26 inch, until the 26 inch is dropped,
and the 650B will be adopted as the
standard wheel for mtb. They said 26er
will still be sold but only at K-Mart,
and Costco. What they didn't say is if
the industry adopts the 650B, what will
happen to the 29er. I own both a 26er
and a 29er and to me there is no
comparison. One is a bike for adults,
and the other is a kids bike.

26 wheels are dead, funny, do you have any idea what you're talking
about. But, then again you're pretty new to mtbing, an ex-roadie, and
I can see how the 29 inch wheel might work for folks like you. Once up
to speed, a 29er does seem to roll better over slightly rough terrain
and for marathon type events and long days in the saddle they may be
advantageous. But for mtbing on trails that are very technical, either
very rocky or very twisting single track 29ers sucks. It's not easy to
lift those larger wheels over and around obstacles, it's harder to
wheelie, manual or nose ride. On twisting single track where riding is
a series of accelerate, brake, corner and accelerate again, those
larger wheels are a pain to get back up to speed again.

What the 29inch wheel, the 650b and the 26inch give us is a choice in
wheel size that best suits a riders riding style. Like we already do
with frame type (rigid, hardtail or FS), fork length, geared or single
speed, disc brake rotor size. Is 29inch better? For me, no and not for
almost everyone I ride with.

Old January 20th 08, 01:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Crescentius Vespasianus

wrote:
[...]

--------------
This isn't what I say, it's what I read
at a grocery store, a mag I think was
called Mountain Biking. You're right,
I'm a roadie, and I did find a road like
feel to the 29er, and with the momentum
the bigger wheel gives you, you don't
have shift all the time, which I hated
on my 26er. And endurance mtb is what
I'm aiming for, again you are right.
But what the article was saying, is that
industry calls the shots, and if sales
of 26ers drop enough, it will be
history. Call it mob rule, if you like.
In road bikes, I don't like carbon
seat stays, in a alu bike, I would
prefer alu seat stays in an alu frame.
So guess what, one of my road bikes has
CF seat stays, because the particular
bike I thought I needed only came with them.
Old January 20th 08, 08:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Jan 19, 8:47 pm, Marz wrote:
On Jan 19, 9:13 pm, Crescentius Vespasianus
wrote:

nothing, as usual

waste of space

You both suck.

JD
Old January 24th 08, 07:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
Scott Gordo

wrote:
[...]

bike I thought I needed only came with them.- Hide quoted text -

Do you suppose that chronically wringing your hands worring about an
"endurance rider's" heart attack will psychosomatically trigger one?

Now THAT would be interesting.

/s

650b descending Crescentius Vespasianus Techniques 8 October 6th 07 09:49 AM
InterBike & 650B...anything new? Michael Baldwin Techniques 2 October 3rd 07 02:59 AM
650B MTB update - DougC Techniques 1 July 27th 07 12:23 PM
29er Tire Study. Wanted! Active 29er riders and design ideas U-Turn Unicycling 19 March 8th 05 01:54 AM
WTB 650B rims [email protected] Marketplace 9 January 17th 05 06:24 AM