So Long, Sheldon

Old February 6th 08, 03:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
Corvus Corvax

Default So Long, Sheldon

Said Molly to Sheldon that's a fine fixie bike
A girl could feel special on any such like.
Said Sheldon to Molly, well my hat's off to you
It's a brakeless Bianchi and the chainring's 52
And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems
Red hair and black spandex, my favorite color scheme
And she drafted on behind
And down to Box Hill they did ride

Said Sheldon to Molly, here's a ring for your right hand
But I'll tell you in earnest I'm a dangerous man
I've fought with the cars since I was seventeen
I ran many a light on my fixie machine
Now I'm 61 years, I might make 62
And I don't mind dying, but for the love of you
And if fate should break my spin,
Then I'll give you my fixie to ride

Come down, come down, Red Molly, called Sergeant McRae
For they've taken in Sheldon at the end of his days
He called out for you on his long and final ride
Oh come down Red Molly to his dying bedside
When she came to the hospital, there wasn't much left
He was running out of road, he was running out of breath
But he smiled to see her cry
And said I'll give you my fixie to ride

Says Shel, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
Beats a fixed-gear Bianchi and a red headed girl
Now Shimano LX or XT won't do
They don't have a soul like a Phil Wood tightly trued
He reached for her hand, gave her his Allen keys
He said I've got no further use for these
I see angels on Brooks's in spandex and chrome
Swooping down from heaven to carry me home
And he gave her one last kiss and died
And he gave her his fixie to ride

(With thanks to Richard Thompson)

CC
Old February 6th 08, 04:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech

Well done. Figure a way to change Molly's name to Sheldon's wife
Harriet, and make the meter work, and it will be perfect.

Old February 7th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
JD

A huge loss of a true gentleman to cyclists everywhere.

JD
Old February 7th 08, 02:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
Corvus Corvax

On Feb 6, 10:31 am, wrote:
Well done. Figure a way to change Molly's name to Sheldon's wife
Harriet, and make the meter work, and it will be perfect.

My deepest condolences to Harriet, of course. I'm sure she will
appreciate that some liberties must be taken with the facts for
someone to be properly mythologized in song...

CC
Old February 8th 08, 06:17 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
Jimbo(san)

On Feb 7, 8:14 am, Corvus Corvax wrote:
On Feb 6, 10:31 am, wrote:

Well done. Figure a way to change Molly's name to Sheldon's wife
Harriet, and make the meter work, and it will be perfect.

My deepest condolences to Harriet, of course. I'm sure she will
appreciate that some liberties must be taken with the facts for
someone to be properly mythologized in song...

CC

I just found out of Sheldon's passing... A fitting tribute Corvus...
He will be missed

Jimbo(san)
Old February 8th 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
gabrielle[_2_]

On Feb 5, 6:33 pm, Corvus Corvax wrote:
Said Molly to Sheldon that's a fine fixie bike
A girl could feel special on any such like.

Thanks for this, CC.

gabrielle
Old February 8th 08, 07:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 5, 9:33*pm, Corvus Corvax wrote:
[...]

Absolutely awesome. I'd love to see/hear this done by a band.

Farewell, Cap'n. Godspeed & Tailwinds.
Old February 9th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
GeeDubb

"gabrielle" wrote in message
On Feb 5, 6:33 pm, Corvus Corvax wrote:
Said Molly to Sheldon that's a fine fixie bike
A girl could feel special on any such like.

Thanks for this, CC.

gabrielle

not to hijack a real biking thread but...

hey girl, where the heck you been???

Gary

Old February 9th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.tech
gabrielle[_2_]

On Feb 8, 3:13 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
not to hijack a real biking thread but...

hey girl, where the heck you been???

Out riding!

gabrielle
Old February 23rd 08, 11:21 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
dardruba

JD wrote:
A huge loss of a true gentleman to cyclists everywhere.

I'll second that.

Only just found this news item.
Thanks to CC the wordsmith. Its not the first time he's posted a moving message
on here.
Mike