How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

Old February 7th 05, 05:16 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Default How much does it realistically cost to ship a bike?

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " wrote in message
Velo- Look at some of these shipping prices for bikes on Ebay... $60,
one
seller even has $100 shipping charges.

What gives? Any theories? Is this just "price padding" or is it
something with a legit explanation? BRBR

I answer-for a retail place, it does cost time and $ to pack the thing
well.

We charge $40 at our shop.

Plus shipping a bicycle via FedEx is about $25. We charge $60 to pack and
ship.
Need to remember the 'pack part.

Definitely. I packed and shipped a 58cm road bike myself. Total monetary
cost to me was $18.90 through FedEx. UPS often considers bike boxes
oversize and charges a flat-out $75 fee. Ridiculous, and I never deal with
them.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 7th 05, 08:33 PM
BrianW

When shipping a bike UPS, be aware that they are very picky when it
comes to honoring insurance claims (no big news here), often using the
fact that a bike was not "professionally packed" to get out of paying a
claim. While I know I can package a bike as well as, or better than, my
LBS, I'm likely to pay them to do it in the future just to cover my
bases. Be sure to get an itemized receipt from the shop for the packing
charge so you have something to show UPS.

Also, I'd suggest handling the shipping part yourself. Not only are you
likely to save $$, but if the LBS handles it and there is a claim,
THEY, as the shipper, will be the one UPS deals with. Most shops will
not want the aggravation of jumping through all UPS' hoops to finalize
a claim. If you ship it yourself through the local UPS or FedEx
customer counter, you'll be able to deal with the claims adjuster
yourself, rather than through a third party. Been there, done that!

Old February 8th 05, 06:36 PM
Matt O'Toole

BrianW wrote:

When shipping a bike UPS, be aware that they are very picky when it
comes to honoring insurance claims (no big news here), often using the
fact that a bike was not "professionally packed" to get out of paying
a claim.

Picky is not the word for it. They have a whole department of hardcore
negotiators whose job it is to deflect claims any way they can. They're well
trained in wearing people down, and have a tag team system going so when you
think you're making progress you have to start the whole process over again with
a new rep. Getting UPS to make good on a claim is like pulling teeth. Often
the only way to do it is take them to court, in which case they'll settle rather
than incur the cost of defending themselves. They're kinder to business
customers who ship a lot of stuff every month, but if you're not one of those
they're absolute *******s.

Fedex has been eating "Brown's" lunch lately, and this is one reason why.

This isn't to say most UPS drivers aren't great folks. This has nothing to do
with them of course.

Matt O.