Boris on cyclists

Old May 1st 12, 06:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default Boris on cyclists

Boris shows his true colours. Well done Boris!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3400253.ece

Boris Johnson, the cycling Mayor of London, provoked a backlash from
bicycle-loving voters yesterday by suggesting that cyclists are typically
dreadlocked, Lycra-clad racers who jump red lights and believe themselves
“morally superior”

“I can humbly say to you, I may not conform to your idea of a stereotypical
cyclist. I do not have whippet-thin brown legs or dreadlocks, I do not
charge around in Lycra, I do not jump lights ... and nor are you, but ... I
ask you to recognise that I have cycling in my heart. I love cycling. I
think it is wonderful and I will continue to invest in cycling.”

Old May 1st 12, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 01/05/2012 06:11, Mr. Benn wrote:
Boris shows his true colours. Well done Boris!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3400253.ece

Boris Johnson, the cycling Mayor of London, provoked a backlash from
bicycle-loving voters yesterday by suggesting that cyclists are typically
dreadlocked, Lycra-clad racers who jump red lights and believe themselves
“morally superior”

“I can humbly say to you, I may not conform to your idea of a stereotypical
cyclist. I do not have whippet-thin brown legs or dreadlocks, I do not charge
around in Lycra, I do not jump lights ... and nor are you, but ... I ask you
to recognise that I have cycling in my heart. I love cycling. I think it is
wonderful and I will continue to invest in cycling.”

Well, either that or he suggested that others have that view of cyclists.

Since it was actually the latter, it isn't a question of whether he wrong (he
isn't). It's a question of whether they are wrong.

Old May 1st 12, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Mr. Benn wrote:

Boris shows his true colours. Well done Boris!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3400253.ece

Boris Johnson, the cycling Mayor of London, provoked a backlash from
bicycle-loving voters yesterday by suggesting that cyclists are typically
dreadlocked, Lycra-clad racers who jump red lights and believe themselves
"morally superior"

"I can humbly say to you, I may not conform to your idea of a stereotypical
cyclist. I do not have whippet-thin brown legs or dreadlocks, I do not
charge around in Lycra, I do not jump lights ... and nor are you, but ... I
ask you to recognise that I have cycling in my heart. I love cycling. I
think it is wonderful and I will continue to invest in cycling."

That I think is a Jibe at the Bike bloggers and folks who cycle as a
means for a alternitive life style.

Who where never going to vote for him any way!

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old May 1st 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On May 1, 9:05*am, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Is the image of the racer (or courier) wannabe strong enough to
discourage the uptake of cycling for general utility?
Old May 1st 12, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

thirty-six wrote:

On May 1, 9:05 am, JNugent wrote:
[...]

it's the Courier wannabe, he's sterotyped.

the Roadies are city suit boys, just in lycra.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old May 1st 12, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On May 1, 10:59*am, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:
Boris shows his true colours. *Well done Boris!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3400253.ece

Boris Johnson, the cycling Mayor of London, provoked a backlash from
bicycle-loving voters yesterday by suggesting that cyclists are typically
dreadlocked, Lycra-clad racers who jump red lights and believe themselves
"morally superior"

"I can humbly say to you, I may not conform to your idea of a stereotypical
cyclist. I do not have whippet-thin brown legs or dreadlocks, I do not
charge around in Lycra, I do not jump lights ... and nor are you, but .... I
ask you to recognise that I have cycling in my heart. I love cycling. I
think it is wonderful and I will continue to invest in cycling."

That I think is a Jibe at the Bike bloggers and folks who cycle as a
means for a alternitive life style.

Who where never going to vote for him any way!

Right. Boris is (intellegent and) clever and despite his apparent
spontanaity i reckon he works it all out in advance, which is why he
has quick answers. It will encourage the 'alternatives' despite the
put down and curry favour with those desiring more respect as
cyclists. As summer is approaching, it's a win, win, win announcement
by Boris as cycling will surely increase whatever he says. Timing is
everything.

Old May 1st 12, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
roger merriman

Mr. Benn wrote:
[...]

Oh god yes the fop haired buffon is a persona much like Clarksons.

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old May 1st 12, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Tris" wrote in message

Boris will, no doubt, be well aware that another name for stereotyping
is bais. Just as he will be aware that a bias is a tendency, and
although most of these are good, sometimes stereotyping can turn into
discrimination if we misinterpret a bias and act upon it in a negative
manner.

I hope Ken gets in as he is going to appoint Jenny Jones as his chief
cycling officer - she has some great views on how cycling can be made safer
in London.

--
Simon Mason

Old May 1st 12, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

This is the comment left by the responsible cyclist who captured the video:

"It's because of riders like this that the Daily Mail and Sun's articles on
cyclists are full up with the bile and hate directed towards ALL cyclists.
You may have saved yourself a few seconds chappy but now that poor lady in
the red coat will just remember nearly being knocked over by some ****
cyclist this morning! I can only hope my yelling at you left a better
impression :-D"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0JYOIDmJvQ
Old May 2nd 12, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 01/05/2012 21:18, Simon Mason wrote:

"Tris" wrote in message

Boris will, no doubt, be well aware that another name for stereotyping
is bais. Just as he will be aware that a bias is a tendency, and
although most of these are good, sometimes stereotyping can turn into
discrimination if we misinterpret a bias and act upon it in a negative
manner.

I hope Ken gets in as he is going to appoint Jenny Jones as his chief
cycling officer - she has some great views on how huge sums of public money could be wasted
in London.

IFYPFY

University

Message to Boris [email protected] UK 0 December 26th 08 12:00 PM
Boris Just zis Guy, you know? UK 3 August 6th 08 09:29 PM
Boris: the answer Mark McNeill[_2_] UK 5 May 27th 08 08:51 AM
Boris wants to legalise RLJ for left turning cyclists. Martin Dann UK 41 March 17th 08 09:26 AM
OT what was Boris thiniing Bryan UK 6 May 5th 06 10:50 PM