Fantastic trail in Hope, Derbyshire?

Old August 29th 03, 11:39 PM
Alexander T. Smith

Default Fantastic trail in Hope, Derbyshire?

As the subject suggests, a friend says he has heard of a fantastic route
in/near Hope, Derbyshire.

Google-ing only found dead links for me, so if there are any up-to-date
route descriptions I'd really like to know. Post here for everyone's
benefit please... ;-)

Alex.
--
http://homepages.enterprise.net/alexsmith
Warning: Anti-UCE address in "From" line.

Old August 30th 03, 02:45 PM
Rich Gardiner

Hi,

i'm building up a UK trails guidebook type site. just going through a revamp
at the mo to allow riders to submit their favourite routes.,I've a
description of a route around Edale/mam tor/jacob's ladder if that's what
you're after. v.close to hope

http://www.ridefree.org.uk/trailinde...edesc.php?id=8

new look site will be based on www.ridefree.org.uk/RFtest any
suggestions/feedback from riders would be appreciated!

cheers,

Rich.

Old August 30th 03, 07:25 PM
Peter B

"Alexander T. Smith" wrote in message

As the subject suggests, a friend says he has heard of a fantastic route
in/near Hope, Derbyshire.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=414500,383500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f
Check out the bridleway from Hollins Cross to Woodseats. (Done that).
Also the Limestone Way into Castleton by Peveril Castle. (I've only gone up
and it's steep!).

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=417500,385500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f
Check out the bridleway/roman road near Hope Brink.
A good route is to park at Fairholmes in the Derwent Valley then ride north
along the reservoir on the paved road then head off left on a bridleway
(steep climb) to Rowlees Farm. Cross over the A57 then make a left turn onto
the Roman road:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=415500,388500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f
Then go via Aston back to the A57 at the Ladybower viaduct and climb up to
Cutthroat Bridge from Ashopton then drop down Derwent Edge and back to
Fairholmes!
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=420500,387500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f
It's reasonably easy to follow on an OS map.

Pete

Old August 30th 03, 08:05 PM
Simon Brooke

"Rich Gardiner" writes:

new look site will be based on www.ridefree.org.uk/RFtest any
suggestions/feedback from riders would be appreciated!

I'm a bore on this subject, I know, but

(i) Don't assume everyone has a white background. If you're going to
accept my colour preferences (which is nice of you) then you'd be
better setting all your image backgrounds to transparent. Otherwise,
use a stylesheet which sets foreground and background colours for all
selectors.

(ii) Don't use text-as-graphics. If you do, it isn't going to scale
for people who use very high resolution screens or very small screens,
or for people with visual acuity defects; and it's much slower to
download. You can achieve the same mouseover effects using the 'hover'
pseudoclass selector and it's quicker, easier, and easier to maintain
(yes, you can even do your change-from-blue-ball-to-yellow-disk with
CSS)

;; ... exposing the violence incoherent in the system...
Old August 30th 03, 10:05 PM
Tony Raven

In ,
Alexander T. Smith typed:
As the subject suggests, a friend says he has heard of a fantastic
route in/near Hope, Derbyshire.

Google-ing only found dead links for me, so if there are any
up-to-date route descriptions I'd really like to know. Post here for
everyone's benefit please... ;-)

Theres a number of very good trails around Hope. One of the best is
currently closed in one section for work on the Pennine Bridleway but goes
from Barber Booth up Jacobs Ladder (carry) then straight on down to Hayfield
(remembering to turn left onto the Bridleway by the big white roadside stone
at the top of a short road climb. Then up Highgate road, peeling off onto
Bridleway near Rowan Farm. Turn left at the top of the track and follow
clear bridleway around Mount Famine, Royce Clough (the closed bit), Rushup
Edge, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross and back down to Edale and on to Hope.

The other is one of a variety of options heading up Jaggers Clough to Hope
Cross, turn left and down to Rowlee Bridge, across the road and up past
Rowlee Farm, left at the top past Lockerbrook Farm and down to Ladybower
Reservoir. Turn right and stop at the car park for the cafe then on down
the road for a left up past Crookhill Farm (killer ascent on tarmac), across
Bridge End Pasture and down past Hagg Farm. Back across the road and along
the reservoir before climbing (a carry) back to Hope Cross and then left for
a long run down to Townshead Bridge and back to Hope.

Lots of other routes you can make up from the bridleways in the area.
Riding can get quite technical though

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Old August 31st 03, 08:09 AM
Peter B

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Turn left at the top of the track and follow
clear bridleway around Mount Famine, Royce Clough (the closed bit), Rushup
Edge, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross and back down to Edale and on to Hope.

Ah, Royce Clough, referred to as Roys Crotch by our small group :-)
I think it should have been reopened back in Easter but was postponed til
July but I noticed when I did the Phil & Friends ride Aug 17 it was still
closed.
However I could see the current works from the road so maybe it's nearly
finished.

Pete

Old August 31st 03, 08:43 AM
Tony Raven

In ,
Peter B typed:

Ah, Royce Clough, referred to as Roys Crotch by our small group :-)
I think it should have been reopened back in Easter but was postponed
til July but I noticed when I did the Phil & Friends ride Aug 17 it
was still closed.
However I could see the current works from the road so maybe it's
nearly finished.

Went round it last week to see how they were getting on and talk to the guys
doing the work. The closure has been extended to the end of October but it
looks more like Christmas to me before they move on and do the bit over Mt
Famine and Caldwell Clough. The rock steps have been preserved and they
were just at the bottom of doing the drop into the Clough from the Rushup
end.

Tony

Old August 31st 03, 03:36 PM
Rich Gardiner

Cheers Simon,

I know this is a little off topic but i'm aware of the css hover
pseudoclass, but can you use a hover action to activate the layers of my
DHTML menu? as far as i know this can only be achieved through an OnClick
javascript operation. the submenus and rest of the page is all CSS styled.
The menu shall be carrying open OnLoad states depending on sections and i
believe this is out of the remit of CSS

I'm about to but in a user selectable stylesheet so that users can congiure
fontsize

Cheers, for the tips on the background though...had completely forgotten
about that

ta,

Rich.

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
. uk...

Old September 3rd 03, 12:55 PM
Stevie D

Peter B wrote:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=414500,383500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=417500,385500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=415500,388500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=420500,387500
&st=4&ar=N&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.sr f

D'oh!

Streetmap are very helpful to people like us - if you look just below
the map, there is an "abbreviated" address for the page that you can
use to link to. The first one looks like this:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...383500&A=Y&Z=3

which is likely to fit on one line for most people.

You don't even need the "A=Y&" towards the end, that just sticks an
arrow in the middle of it.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
Old September 3rd 03, 01:00 PM
Colin Blackburn

In article ,
says...

Streetmap are very helpful to people like us - if you look just below
the map, there is an "abbreviated" address for the page that you can
use to link to. The first one looks like this:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...383500&A=Y&Z=3

which is likely to fit on one line for most people.

You don't even need the "A=Y&" towards the end, that just sticks an
arrow in the middle of it.

Pedantically it is the &A=Y which you don't need.

Colin