Nashbar water bottle -- yuck

Old October 3rd 04, 01:55 AM
M Powell

Default Nashbar water bottle -- yuck

I got a water bottle from Nashbar back in March & it was fine. So I recently
ordered 2 more, as my wife has started riding. Yuck. It was REALLY hard to
open or close the spouts. So I called and asked for replacement tops -- they
sent one new bottle, complete with the extremely-difficult-to-open spout. So
I sent all 3 back, explaining that the spouts were horrible. Very unfriendly
for riders, and very unexpected from Nashbar.

Today I got my 2 replacement bottles. Or maybe they were the same 2 original
ones, for they are equally hard to open/close.

Sigh. It's a little thing, but important to me. And I'm so surprised that
Nashbar doesn't "get" it.....

--M. Powell

Old October 3rd 04, 03:34 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:55:25 GMT,
. net, "M Powell"
wrote:

Sigh. It's a little thing, but important to me. And I'm so surprised that
Nashbar doesn't "get" it.....

Leave it open.

It won't leak until you pick up the bike to climb some stairs or put
it back in the car.
--
zk
Old October 3rd 04, 03:43 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message ...
Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:55:25 GMT,
. net, "M Powell"
wrote:

Sigh. It's a little thing, but important to me. And I'm so surprised that
Nashbar doesn't "get" it.....

Leave it open.

It won't leak until you pick up the bike to climb some stairs or put
it back in the car.
--

He's probably got one of those bottles made by Tacx that you have
to rotate the spout nipple a 1/4 of a turn to unlock it.

When they first came out we were ripping them completely off with
our teeth before we clued in.

Old October 3rd 04, 06:32 AM
Eric S. Sande

I''ve been using a Zefal 800 alu bottle for a while now. Holds a whole
bottle of wine with no aftertaste. It's outlasted two bottle cages.

Where are you getting your bottle cages, Wal-Mart?

Serious cyclists use cheap but durable steel bottle cages, and you
NEVER want to put wine into an aluminium bottle.

My God, man, what were you thinking.

If you must carry wine, carry it in its original bottle, in your
damn panniers, as God intended.

I am very disappointed in you, Zoot, carrying wine in aluminium
bottles, that is to put it mildly very gauche.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 3rd 04, 08:18 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:32:31 -0400, , "Eric
S. Sande" wrote:

I''ve been using a Zefal 800 alu bottle for a while now. Holds a whole
bottle of wine with no aftertaste. It's outlasted two bottle cages.

Where are you getting your bottle cages, Wal-Mart?

Serious cyclists use cheap but durable steel bottle cages, and you
NEVER want to put wine into an aluminium bottle.

I had steel and alloy one-piece cages. Both of them broke at the weld.
The coating inside the bottle didn't stain or impart any flavour then
or afterward. The contents are never in contact with metal.

My God, man, what were you thinking.

It was necessary to keep things discrete where a broken bottle would
have been a bummer.

If you must carry wine, carry it in its original bottle, in your
damn panniers, as God intended.

That's where I generally carry bottles for consumption off the bike.
There's always a cork screw in the seat bag along with the tire levers
and chain tool.

I am very disappointed in you, Zoot, carrying wine in aluminium
bottles, that is to put it mildly very gauche.

It was an experiment of surprising success. It's not my regular MO but
it's almost that time of year again.
--
zk
Old October 3rd 04, 10:01 AM
Cheto

"Eric S. Sande" wrote in message

Serious cyclists use cheap but durable steel bottle cages, and you
NEVER want to put wine into an aluminium bottle.

My God, man, what were you thinking.

If you must carry wine, carry it in its original bottle, in your
damn panniers, as God intended.

I am very disappointed in you, Zoot, carrying wine in aluminium
bottles, that is to put it mildly very gauche.

Aluminum is suitable for spray paint and roach killer.
http://www.jgwhyte.com/botabag.htm You guys must not have been around in
the 60's.

Cheto

Old October 3rd 04, 05:04 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Cheto" wrote: http://www.jgwhyte.com/botabag.htm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My bota bag, left over from my motorcycling days, works really well, but I
am having trouble fitting it into the bottle cage. Can anyone offer advice?

Old October 4th 04, 02:08 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Eric S. Sande" writes:

Serious cyclists use cheap but durable steel bottle cages,

I usually put my water bottles in the near right-hand corner
of the milk crate, within easy back-handed reach. DT cages
just get in my way.

and you
NEVER want to put wine into an aluminium bottle.

Well, it's often preferable to avoid decanting wine
from one container to another for transport.

But some of the more robust, edgy stuff, like grappa
or that home-brewed Portuguese porch-climber, /likes/
to be treated a little non-abusively, playfully roughly.

I like robust, edgy women, too.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old October 4th 04, 11:39 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 00:14:08 -0700, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

It took me some time to figure out how to open it. I nearly did wreck
the top before I opened it up and took a look at the mechanism from
below.

Always a step behind Fabrizio,

That's understandable. Very few people are as experienced as Fabrizio
at looking at things from below.
Old October 4th 04, 02:58 PM
Claire Petersky

"Ryan Cousineau" wrote in message

Oh, haha, Fabrizio's little joke is very amusing. But a kind poster to
this newsgroup (Hi Claire!) gave me a nice Rabobank-colours Tacx water
bottle as a gift, the first bottle I had encountered with a locking top.

It took me some time to figure out how to open it. I nearly did wreck
the top before I opened it up and took a look at the mechanism from
below.

Since I did nearly wreck your bike, it seems like a fair trade, don't you
think?

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Water Bottle Solutions? [email protected] Techniques 22 June 21st 04 06:36 PM
water bottle mounting MarkR General 8 May 20th 04 08:55 PM
Profile Water Bottle Cages - CHEAP!! haddawad Marketplace 0 March 2nd 04 04:53 PM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM