Serotta makes headlines

Old March 23rd 05, 10:42 AM
Ken Marcet

Default Serotta makes headlines

found this on google news, first part mentions John Kerry. I say yeah, but
you have to be rich like kerry to afford one!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-serotta_x.htm

I mean how many people can really afford to spend 6 grand on a bike?

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 23rd 05, 01:02 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:
found this on google news, first part mentions John Kerry. I say

yeah, but
you have to be rich like kerry to afford one!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-serotta_x.htm

I mean how many people can really afford to spend 6 grand on a bike?

I know a guy with several. He's just a single professional who spends
his disposable income on bikes. Of course he's middle-aged, overweight
and a pretty mediocre rider, a fairly typical high-end bike owner.

Old March 23rd 05, 01:36 PM
Ken Marcet

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:
found this on google news, first part mentions John Kerry. I say

yeah, but
you have to be rich like kerry to afford one!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-serotta_x.htm

I mean how many people can really afford to spend 6 grand on a bike?

I know a guy with several. He's just a single professional who spends
his disposable income on bikes. Of course he's middle-aged, overweight
and a pretty mediocre rider, a fairly typical high-end bike owner.

Well I guess I could have stated that a little bit better. How many average
bike riders can afford to spend 6 grand on a bike? I am sure that there are
a lot of people out there that can afford these bikes, but unless you are a
serious cyclist I don't think many people would spend that kind of money on
a bicycle. I could see spending that much if I had that much extra money,
and knew that I was going to ride it almost every day.

Ken

Old March 23rd 05, 03:29 PM
Peter Cole

Ken Marcet wrote:

Well I guess I could have stated that a little bit better. How many

average
bike riders can afford to spend 6 grand on a bike? I am sure that

there are
a lot of people out there that can afford these bikes, but unless you

are a
serious cyclist I don't think many people would spend that kind of

money on
a bicycle. I could see spending that much if I had that much extra

money,
and knew that I was going to ride it almost every day.

How much does it cost to smoke cigarettes? (Ask the 25% of Americans
who do, most of whom are not affluent) Where there's a will (weak or
otherwise), there's a way. With all the "lifestyle" related diseases
and their social costs, we might be better off if the government bought
everyone Serottas.

I find it really hard to be critical of anyone who blows a wad on a
high-end bike. As extravagences go, it's pretty benign -- and pretty
pretty, too.

Functionally, you don't *need* to spend a lot to get a really nice
bike, the point of diminishing returns is lower than ever, but if you
*want* high-zoot, it's not such a bad lust, as lusts go.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:38 PM
Colorado Bicycler

Better than $55-65,000 on a Hummer, IMHO.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:53 PM
Brian Wax

Well I guess I fit as one who lusts for the finer bikes. I have a top of the
line Serotta TI bike with DKS rear triangle, full Campy 10 speed record etc.
I also have a Colnago Master X-Lite with full Campy Record. Too me there is
a great difference in these bikes in contrast to some of the other bikes. No
doubt this is very subjective. However, I have ridden a lot of different
bikes and I can certainly tell what I like and prefer to ride.

Yes I have had my ass kicked by riders on lesser steeds. But that is not the
point for me. I prefer Campy over Shimano too. I like the flatter surface
mating to the bar. Dura Ace dips too low and transitioning is more
difficult. I do know that for me the Serotta is a dream on long rides. It is
bullet proof and never needs tweaking. The craftsman ship shows from 20 feet
away. The Colnago is the best steel frame (for me) and I use it more for
mashing and hard training rides.

The Serotta was worth the wait for fabrication. I am glad I own it and
immensely enjoy riding it. It is a synthesis of all the good
things--including geometry, materials and craftsmanship I certainly can tell
the difference.

Ride what you buy and enjoy it. Forget the judgments. It takes the pleasure
out of the sport.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:07 PM
Ken Marcet

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken Marcet wrote:

[...]

Well I gave those up long ago!

I find it really hard to be critical of anyone who blows a wad on a
high-end bike. As extravagences go, it's pretty benign -- and pretty
pretty, too.

Oh yeah they must be pretty, I can't say I have seen a new serotta, but I
have seen plenty of $2,000 - $3,000 bikes and they are mostly pretty rides.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:17 PM
maxo

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 05:42:35 -0500, Ken Marcet wrote:

found this on google news, first part mentions John Kerry. I say yeah, but
you have to be rich like kerry to afford one!
http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifesty...-serotta_x.htm

I mean how many people can really afford to spend 6 grand on a bike?

Ken

The trailer trash down the street managed to save up 20+K for an
incredibly ugly Harley Davidson, so 6K shouldn't be too hard to find. I
doubt I'd like to see them in lycra though.

:P
Old March 23rd 05, 04:20 PM
Bill H.

He should change his name to "Fred".

-Bill H.

Old March 23rd 05, 04:45 PM
Darin McGrew

Ken Marcet wrote:
I mean how many people can really afford to spend 6 grand on a bike?

I used to wonder about such things, since my "normal" ride is an
inexpensive commute bike. Could a $1k bike really be "worth it"? Could a
$2k bike really be "worth it"? Could a $3k bike really be "worth it"?

Then my wife and I bought a $4k tandem: http://www.bilenky.com/viewpnt.html

To us, it's worth it. But we also don't spend money on other things that
some people we know think are essentials (like cable TV, broadband internet
access, and cell phones).
--
Darin McGrew, , http://www.rahul.net/mcgrew/
Web Design Group, , http://www.HTMLHelp.com/

"The handwriting on the wall may mean you need a notepad by the phone."