Disbury to Ashton & Back - Yuck! [LONG]

Old May 13th 05, 07:26 PM
bobgoon

Default Disbury to Ashton & Back - Yuck! [LONG]

Hello all,

The following is a rambling ride report, concerning online retailers,
bike paths, shocking driving and my findings w.r.t. Continental's
Sport Contact tyres...

My better half ordered some stuff from Amazon. As is the way with
such things, the couriers (DHL) attempted to deliver it twice, but
seeing as we both at work there was nobody present to sign for the
delivery. They told her that unlesss it was collected within 48 hours
it would be punted back to Amazon. Ho hum.

Seeing as some of the delivery was a prezzie for people who would
be flying out to Australia in the next 24 hours, we were a bit hacked
off with Amazon/DHL to say the least.

To keep the peace, I said I'd bike it out to the DHL depot at Ashton &
collect the parcel. 20 mile round trip.

All went swimmingly as I cycled down Withington road, right onto
Dickenson road (quick nod to the "Bicycle Doctor" as I pass),
and then onto the A57 to Denton/Hyde. The earlier part of the A57
is ok, but as you leave Manchester and enter Hyde it's a nightmare.
The bit where you cross over the motorway (M62?) is diabolical!
This A-road likes to pretend it's a motorway, with shocking, vile
bike paths at the roundabout where it crosses the real motorway.
The paths of which I speak are definitely the work of stan:
Illogically placed, full of glass and pebbles - it's like no-one
has passed there in decades.

Got through Denton and onto the estate where the DHL depot lurks.
Although it was a full-on industrial estate where the majority of
traffic was HGV's, they all gave me plenty of room and useful
directions to the depot which I sought. Bliss!

Picked up the parcel, and took on some fuel at the local jiffy-van
before setting off home. AFAIK, there's one on every trading estate in
the land .It's amazing what a can of Vimto (sugar), a large coffee
with 2 sugars (more sugar) and a bap/barm with bacon, egg, and sausage
(grease, starch & burnt crunchy bits) can do for your morale!

It's also lot easier cycling when you're not worried about getting
lost or running out of time.

Was trundelling home downhill behind a guy on a FS mountain bike.
Suddenly I hear the sound of rubber scraping on tarmac, as the FS guy
reminds the driver who just nearly left-hooked him that he's a twunt.
I comiserated with FS guy as I passed, but soon realised that I was
doing 30+mph downhill without any pedalling, while FS guy was way
behind. More power to the 700cx37mm Continental Sport Contact (nearly)
slicks!

After that it's all gravy: Got home nicely, and presented the missus
with her parcel, and she appreciated the effort.

Lessons learnt:

1) Those online routefinder things don't have any contour lines on
them. Ouch!

2) HGV drivers can be very helpful when we get the opportunity to
converse with 'em as human beings.

3) A can of glug + a big sarnie tastes *fantastic* when you've earned
it.

4) The left hook can happen *anywhere*.

5) Continental Sport Contacts are ace!

Best,

Tim.

Lower Back Pain from Cycling Kara Racing 9 September 3rd 04 06:28 PM
Oh my aching back Grumpy Techniques 19 August 15th 04 11:33 PM
Simeoni and Lance situation Ronde Champ Racing 4 July 24th 04 12:21 AM
Trip Report - Philadelphia - Ste. Anne de Beaupre, QUE and back Ron Wallenfang Rides 9 June 27th 04 05:35 AM
RePete is Back...RePete is Back!!! RePete General 1 April 25th 04 03:29 PM