Sensation Seeking

Old June 15th 05, 06:43 PM
cathwood

Default Sensation Seeking

Hi Everyone,
I have a theory that unicyclists are Sensation Seekers, due to the
nature of our minority sport.
I also thing that those of us who hate the random non-unicyclists
comments are Introverts and those that don't care are Extroverts.
If anyone would like to try out my theory, you can take Zuckerman's
Sensation Seeking scale at http://tinyurl.com/qkoq
and a personality test at http://tinyurl.com/6l4n2
to find out about the intorversion/extraversion thing.
If you do have a go, I would love it if you posted your results on this
thread.

Cathy

--
cathwood - Lunicyclist

A thought is just a thought.

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old June 15th 05, 06:59 PM
James_Potter

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 9 out of 10

This consists of items expressing desires to engage in sports or
activities involving some physical danger or risk such as mountain
climbing, parachute jumping, scuba diving, speeding in a car, etc.
Experience seeking - you score 7 out of 10

This descibes the desire to seek new experiences through the mind and
senses by living in a nonconforming life style with unconventional
friends, and through travel.
Disinhibition - you score 1 out of 10

This describes the need to disinhibit behaviour in the social sphere by
drinking, partying and seeking variety in sexual partners.
Boredom susceptibility - you score 1 out of 10

This indicates an aversion for repetitive experience of any kind,
routine work, or even dull or predictable people. Other items indicate a
restless reaction when things are unchanging.

Your total sensation seeking score is 18 out of 40

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old June 15th 05, 07:31 PM
johnfoss

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 7 out of 10

This consists of items expressing desires to engage in sports or
activities involving some physical danger or risk such as mountain
climbing, parachute jumping, scuba diving, speeding in a car, etc.
Experience seeking - you score 9 out of 10

This descibes the desire to seek new experiences through the mind and
senses by living in a nonconforming life style with unconventional
friends, and through travel.
Disinhibition - you score 6 out of 10

This describes the need to disinhibit behaviour in the social sphere by
drinking, partying and seeking variety in sexual partners.
Boredom susceptibility - you score 3 out of 10

This indicates an aversion for repetitive experience of any kind,
routine work, or even dull or predictable people. Other items indicate a
restless reaction when things are unchanging.

Your total sensation seeking score is 25 out of 40

-------------------------

I wasn't crazy about that survey. Often there were two choices of which
neither was close to my personality. It was very black & white, so when
in doubt I erred in the obvious direction of boosting my score.

You can be a thrill seeker without being a sensation seeker. In other
words, you can like adventure sports without necessarily being
interested in illegal drugs or extramarital sex.

--
johnfoss - More Moab Fun

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old June 15th 05, 07:39 PM
JJuggle

Results
Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 7 out of 10
This consists of items expressing desires to engage in sports or
activities involving some physical danger or risk such as mountain
climbing, parachute jumping, scuba diving, speeding in a car, etc.

Experience seeking - you score 9 out of 10
This descibes the desire to seek new experiences through the mind and
senses by living in a nonconforming life style with unconventional
friends, and through travel.

Disinhibition - you score 6 out of 10
This describes the need to disinhibit behaviour in the social sphere by
drinking, partying and seeking variety in sexual partners.

Boredom susceptibility - you score 2 out of 10
This indicates an aversion for repetitive experience of any kind,
routine work, or even dull or predictable people. Other items indicate a
restless reaction when things are unchanging.

Your total sensation seeking score is 24 out of 40

I thought this was not a terribly insightful survey. I agree with what
John has said. Also some very exciting, interesting and unconventional
people eshew drugs and alcohol. Look at Frank Zappa, for example.

I also don't think a real thrill seeker would care particularly if the
small craft they took far out to sea was sea worthy or not.

--
JJuggle - We Are the Newts Who Say, Nigh.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Our choices they were few so the thought never hit,
that the one road we traveled would ever shatter or split.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old June 15th 05, 08:02 PM
phil

Thrill and adventure seeking: 6
Experience seeking: 4
Disinhibition: 2
Boredom susceptibility: 1
Total: 13 out of 40

Now please excuse me because I'm going to go sit in a small, dark room
in silence for the next five hours...

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

Good, bad... I'm the guy with the Cattle Prod.
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

Old June 15th 05, 08:02 PM
amanda.gallacher

thrill and adventure seeking- 10/10
experience seeking- 9/10
Disinhibition- 6/10
Boredom susceptibility- 10/10
Overall- 35/40

on the other one i am - spontaneous, fact based, heartfelt, extrovert

--
amanda.gallacher - skilled
amanda.gallacher's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10009

Old June 15th 05, 08:03 PM
forrestunifreak

Results
Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 9 out of 10
This consists of items expressing desires to engage in sports or
activities involving some physical danger or risk such as mountain
climbing, parachute jumping, scuba diving, speeding in a car, etc.

Experience seeking - you score 3 out of 10
This descibes the desire to seek new experiences through the mind and
senses by living in a nonconforming life style with unconventional
friends, and through travel.

Disinhibition - you score 4 out of 10
This describes the need to disinhibit behaviour in the social sphere by
drinking, partying and seeking variety in sexual partners.

Boredom susceptibility - you score 6 out of 10
This indicates an aversion for repetitive experience of any kind,
routine work, or even dull or predictable people. Other items indicate a
restless reaction when things are unchanging.

Your total sensation seeking score is 22 out of 40

I wasn't crazy about that survey. Often there were two choices of
which neither was close to my personality. It was very black & white,
so when in doubt I erred in the obvious direction of boosting my
score.

Me neither. Some of it didnt apply to me.

--
forrestunifreak - Its time to change this thing now.

Team YAMS member.

I still think this empty space looks funny...

'torkerusa.com' (http://torkerusa.com)

Old June 15th 05, 08:13 PM
forrestunifreak

And on the second one I got this:

Section 4: Results
Your answers suggest you are an Introvert, not an Extrovert.
You tend to focus on and get your motivation from your own inner
thoughts and ideas.

Spontaneous, ideas, hearts, and Introvert.

Old June 15th 05, 08:13 PM
unicus

Results

Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 10 out of 10

Experience seeking - you score 4 out of 10

Disinhibition - you score 4 out of 10

Boredom susceptibility - you score 1 out of 10

Your total sensation seeking score is 19 out of 40

Planner, Ideas, Heads, Introvert

A bit of fun but the results hmmm, whatever.

--
unicus

Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Old June 15th 05, 08:25 PM
TitaniumMonkey

Results
Thrill and adventure seeking - you score 10 out of 10
Experience seeking - you score 8 out of 10
Disinhibition - you score 4 out of 10
Boredom susceptibility - you score 6 out of 10
Your total sensation seeking score is 28 out of 40

..

There may be a correlation between thrill and adventure seeking and
unicycling. There were several questions that I was dissatisfied with
too...

Entertaining all the same.

--
TitaniumMonkey - Completely Nuts