Elliptical Wheel Set

Old July 23rd 13, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Elliptical Wheel Set

I just completed prototype testing of elliptical wheels, and now I'm ready to design a set for my carbon fiber road bike. That's me in the picture below.

http://tinyurl.com/qccr8fc

I was wondering how the shape of my wheels will effect gearing using elliptical chain rings. I'm trying to synchronize the short diameter of the chain ring with the maximum diameter of the wheel set. When spinning the crankshaft will the shape of the wheels matter one iota? Is it really true that the relationship between the number of teeth on the chain ring and the changing diameter of the wheels will give me a big mechanical advantage. Please help because I'll be using this setup at this years Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI). Lance is here and he's, like, so rad. I'm hoping he asks me questions about my elliptical setup. It makes me so hard to realize that, like, I'm the smartest guy in here regarding elliptical cranks. Do you think that Lance reads this? I hope he does.