[Vic] Sid Patterson Grand Prix

Old January 19th 06, 11:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default [Vic] Sid Patterson Grand Prix

Jono L Wrote:
Righto Jack, for Vodafone the organisors have to fork out a ****load of
dosh and that doesn't garuantee that the crowds will turn up, i'm not
supporting it, just justifying it. Plus this little event thats on atm
called the Australian Open tennis takes priority methinks.

you're absolutely right Jono - there are never any guarantees (until
the tickets are sold). Sorry, I didnt realise the discussion was about
whether it should be at Vodafone or DISC. I thought it was about the
merits of one venue over the other. Me, I'd vote for Vodafone every
time as a venue. But logistically, as you point out, that may not be
economically sound.

Lessee what Suzie B has to say about the racing at DISC when she
reports back

--
warrwych

Old January 19th 06, 11:53 PM posted to aus.bicycle

warrwych Wrote:
Lessee what Suzie B has to say about the racing at DISC when she reports
back

I shall duly report my findings after attending the racing on Saturday.

--
SuzieB

Old January 20th 06, 07:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle

SuzieB Wrote:
I shall duly report my findings after attending the racing on Saturday.

Bummed I'm missing all the track races.. need to find my keys to
teleporter.

cyclingnews.com to the rescue! Keen to read your reports too..

hippy

--
hippy

Old January 23rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Headed out to DISC on Saturday night to watch the Sid Patterson Grand
Prix with a stop off for dinner at a great restaurant in High Street,
Northcote, 'Pizza mein liebe'
(http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/gu...enue&id=277204).
Highly recommended for post ride refuelling. Still very hot and sticky
and worse inside the velodrome. Surprised to note only one bike locked
up outside the velo as we went in but saw about 8 when we left. Cost
was $10 each plus $4 for a programme which was a definate requirement
as it not only listed all the riders but also explained the events to
Euan and I. We've never really watched track racing before so
explanations were much needed.

We got standing room at the steep end of the velo. One poor guy took a
dive from the top of the track right in front of us and took out some
of the track with him which was taped over by some very hardy souls
willing to scramble up. I was very impressed and also horrified to see
how steep the velo track is. Told Euan that I think I'll focus on road
racing. We saw the guy riding around later with a nasty chunk out of
his lycra suit and a rather big graze on his leg.

It was good to know one rider, Reece van Beek, who is trained by the
same lady that I see so we had someone to cheer on. It was interesting
seeing Mark French try to make the Commonwealth Games, unfortunately he
fell just short of the required time. I was pleased to be able to see a
couple of young riders in Leigh Howard and Peter Johnstone who have
very bright cycling futures in front of them I think. I'm still not
sure why some of the scratch races are motor paced and some aren't but
it was great to see all that bike p0rn on display.

I loved the smell of the wood and the noise of the bikes as they went
past and we were so close to the riders when they came up the top of
the track. The atmosphere may have been lacking a little as there
wasn't a huge crowd there but they fired up when it counted. We had a
great night's entertainment and I will definately be watching track
racing again.

details of winners here - http://tinyurl.com/dugzu
and photos - http://tinyurl.com/bus33

--
SuzieB

Old January 23rd 06, 12:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Sid Patterson Grand Prix

Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
I will have to figure another way.

So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
Ian.

Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated

Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Dave

Old January 23rd 06, 01:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-22, percrime (aka Bruce)
Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
I will have to figure another way.

Are you aware that your email address is public and unobfuscated?

Google (not just groups) is teh suck indeed. I've stopped using
google for searching at work, because in their infinite wisdom,
they've decided our two proxy servers serving 10,000 students has too
much traffic, and therefore must have some kind of virus -- I have to
enter those stupid obfuscated letters from graphics every second
search.

Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated

Try water next time. Beer dehydrates you

I left all the windows and doors open the night before, as soon as the
temperature outside dropped below inside. Then when I woke up at
10:00, and felt all the hot air rushing in, I ran around quickly
closing everything. Pretty much from that point on, I felt pretty
nauseated whenever I stayed inside (was fine when at the beach,
although a little dehydrated).

Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Thursday will be another hot one, too.

--
TimC
C Code.
Old January 23rd 06, 02:01 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Urk. OK Tim I will now look for an anonymous news server Sob

Unobfuscated hey.. I will give you unobfuscated.

Dave

Old January 23rd 06, 08:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"percrime" writes:

Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
I will have to figure another way.

So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
Ian.

Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated

Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Forecast 40, let's make it an early ride!
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\,
Old January 23rd 06, 09:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Euan wrote:

"percrime" writes:

Ok so now i can post from work not just read. But Google groups sux.
I will have to figure another way.

So Suzie. You and Euan up for the Austral with Kathy and me ... maybe
Ian.

Did nothing yesterday exept drink.. feel bloated

Thursday will be a go .. Need to ride

Forecast 40, let's make it an early ride!

Yeah I noticed. OK lets say 7 oclock at Kathy racer then we will
do at least aspy. Are the girls up for it?

Dave

Old January 24th 06, 03:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SuzieB Wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you had a good night out! You will understand what I was
trying to say about DISC feeling a bit "soulless". Maybe that will come
now they have named the velodrome

I find it a very sensory sport, track racing - the sounds, the smell of
the wood etc. Worst sound is that thud when someone hits the deck,
becuase you know its going to hurt and there is nothing they can do to
stop that slide to the bottom.

The track isn't so steep once you get used to it, but I still don't
like being at the top of those corners!

So, will you head off to Vodafone for the Austral SuzieB?

--
warrwych