Which street tires for Araya 26 x 1.75 rims with interior width ofabout 25mm?

Old May 31st 07, 06:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Which street tires for Araya 26 x 1.75 rims with interior width ofabout 25mm?

I bought a used, non-suspension, Univega mountain bike off of craigslist
and the rims have an interior width of about 25mm (this was from the
time before mountain bikes came with narrow rims).

I want to get some slickish tires for it. According the Sheldon's site,
I shouldn't use a tire narrower than about 44mm (about 1.75"), and I'd
prefer to not go over 1.75" either.

I'd like something kevlar belted, and with some tread, but I don't want
to spend more than $20 per tire (the bike only cost me $25), so I may
have to give up the kevlar.

I haven't had much luck in my search, even when I up the price of the
tires. So far I've found:

Bravo Sports_variflex, 26 X 1.75 $8.89
"http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/55110/icn/20-459701/bravo_sports_variflex/b_149.htm"

Any other suggestions. This bike will be lightly used, mainly on street
and multi-use paths (it's not for me).

Old May 31st 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 30, 10:29 pm, SMS wrote:
[...]

Here's your guy:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1168

Forte SpeedTrac/K Multi Use Road Tire - 26x1.75"
Kevlar belted, $10 each, just enough tread to reassure you on gravel,
slick enough to put on a trainer if you want.

I've got a set of these on my mountain bike, They work well.

Old June 1st 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Hank Wirtz wrote:

Here's your guy:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1168

Forte SpeedTrac/K Multi Use Road Tire - 26x1.75"
Kevlar belted, $10 each, just enough tread to reassure you on gravel,
slick enough to put on a trainer if you want.

I've got a set of these on my mountain bike, They work well.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I called the local
Performance and they have them in stock. They told me to bring a
printout of the web store price just in case the in-store price is
different.
Old June 1st 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"SMS" wrote in message
Hank Wirtz wrote:

Here's your guy:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1168

Forte SpeedTrac/K Multi Use Road Tire - 26x1.75"
Kevlar belted, $10 each, just enough tread to reassure you on gravel,
slick enough to put on a trainer if you want.

I've got a set of these on my mountain bike, They work well.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I called the local
Performance and they have them in stock. They told me to bring a printout
of the web store price just in case the in-store price is different.

Caveat emptor on Performance tyres. While I have some of the 26x1.25 tyres,
the gross clearances of the bicycle are not as critical as the bicycle I
have shod with their 700x25c road tyres which are terribly out of round with
a tolerance of approximately 3mm. Sufficient to make you you feel that there
is something perilously wrong the first few times you descend at speeds 50
kph.

You get what you pay for.