Degreaser

Old December 28th 12, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_7_]

Default Degreaser

This stuff :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on my
chain, rear sprocket, etc?

Is the cleaner :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).
Old December 28th 12, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 28/12/2012 16:42, soup wrote:
This stuff :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on my
chain, rear sprocket, etc?

Is the cleaner :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tetrion-wh...rit-2ltr/27965

Followed by (optionally Washing up liquid) water.

I think white spirit is supposed to be bad for the environment but I
can't see how a small fraction of a litre is significant compared to all
the petrol I use in my car.

Old December 28th 12, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:42:31 +0000, soup wrote:
This stuff :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on
my chain, rear sprocket, etc?

Is the cleaner :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).

The second of those is just an industrial detergent, I think. The
first might be marginally more suited.

If you want to buy degreaser for chain rear sprocket etc. I'd go for
a parts degreaser which is clearly intended for metallic mechanical
parts - from screwfix I'd say
http://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-j...er-750ml/46176
which specifies that it is intended for engines, machinery and tools.

But actually, for chain and rear sprocket I'd do the sheldon shake
with an oily solvent. Personally, I have a large (several litre)
glass jar (I think it was intended for bottling fruit) which contains
an accumulation of misc oily solvent (mainly white spirit and
paraffin). Take chain off bike, drop it in jar, put lid on and shake
vigorously. Fish out chain, refit and relube. I then filter the now
black solvent through a melitta 6-cup coffee filter cone with two
papers.

It seems fairly pointless to degrease a chain and then re-oil it.
Using an oily solvent makes more sense.

For sprockets I scrub with a toothbrush and plentiful quantities of
the same multiply re-used solvent. If you're filtering and re-using
the solvent you can be generous while washing it down.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old December 28th 12, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

soup wrote:

This stuff :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on my
chain, rear sprocket, etc?

Alcohol Ethoxylates are non-ionic surfactants that are frequently used
for hand dish liquids, shampoos, foaming control agents, textile
applications, and other specialty surfactants.

Ethanolamine is a toxic, flammable, corrosive, colorless, viscous
liquid with an odor similar to that of ammonia.

So it's basically a mixture of detergent and solvent, the latter being
something you don't want much skin contact with.

Is the cleaner :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).

tetra sodium salt appears to be used here as a water softener, also
used in toothpaste.

sodium alkyl ether sulphate is a detergent, used in shampoo and
elsewhere.

This sounds like car shampoo to me.

For cheap generic cleaning products Google "janitorial supplies" -
there's probably one on an industrial estate near you.

Old December 30th 12, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Dec 28, 5:06*pm, Nick wrote:
On 28/12/2012 16:42, soup wrote:

This stuff :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on my
chain, rear sprocket, etc?

* Is the cleaner :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tetrion-wh...rit-2ltr/27965

Followed by (optionally Washing up liquid) water.

I think white spirit is supposed to be bad for the environment but I
can't see how a small fraction of a litre is significant compared to all
the petrol I use in my car.

that's essentially paraffin and is correct to use for chain cleaning.
Do not follow with water, with or without dishwashing detergent as it
causes corrosion.
Old December 30th 12, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Dec 28, 7:23*pm, Ian Smith wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 16:42:31 +0000, soup wrote:
*This stuff :-
*http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
*seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on
*my chain, rear sprocket, etc?

* *Is the cleaner :-
*http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
*suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).

The second of those is just an industrial detergent, I think. *The
first might be marginally more suited.

degreasing chemicals are not suitable for chain cleaning, they cause
corrosion.

If you want to buy degreaser for chain rear sprocket etc. I'd go for
a parts degreaser which is clearly intended for metallic mechanical
parts - from screwfix I'd sayhttp://www.screwfix.com/p/swarfega-jizer-water-rinsable-parts-degreas...
which specifies that it is intended for engines, machinery and tools.

Not bicycle chains, and no chain manufacturer recommends it.

But actually, for chain and rear sprocket I'd do the sheldon shake
with an oily solvent. *Personally, I have a large (several litre)
glass jar (I think it was intended for bottling fruit) which contains
an accumulation of misc oily solvent (mainly white spirit and
paraffin).

essentially the same stuff.

Take chain off bike, drop it in jar, put lid on and shake
vigorously. Fish out chain, refit and relube. *I then filter the now
black solvent through a melitta 6-cup coffee filter cone with two
papers.

I leave it to sedijment. with a little water, the paraffin will clear
in a few hours and can be decanted.

It seems fairly pointless to degrease a chain and then re-oil it.

Unless one wishes to damage chains.

Using an oily solvent makes more sense.

You don't sell chains, do you?

For sprockets I scrub with a toothbrush and plentiful quantities of
the same multiply re-used solvent. *If you're filtering and re-using
the solvent you can be generous while washing it down.

A 1" paintbrush is easier, the cheapest natural bristle is best. Use
a catch-cloth under your freewheel.

Old December 31st 12, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/12/2012 22:13, thirty-six wrote:
On Dec 28, 5:06 pm, Nick wrote:
On 28/12/2012 16:42, soup wrote:

This stuff :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...ser-5ltr/88668
seems a lot cheaper than the bike specific stuff . Can I use it on my
chain, rear sprocket, etc?

Is the cleaner :-
http://www.screwfix.com/p/de-solv-it...ner-5ltr/66523
suitable for general use on the bike (again much cheaper).

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tetrion-wh...rit-2ltr/27965

Followed by (optionally Washing up liquid) water.

I think white spirit is supposed to be bad for the environment but I
can't see how a small fraction of a litre is significant compared to all
the petrol I use in my car.

that's essentially paraffin and is correct to use for chain cleaning.
Do not follow with water, with or without dishwashing detergent as it
causes corrosion.

I always find Cornish Sea Salt and Magnesium to be ideal for cleaning
chains.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."

Degreaser soup[_6_] UK 4 October 24th 12 09:57 PM
Degreaser? Mark T[_2_] UK 12 March 12th 08 08:05 PM
Bicycle degreaser Mark Techniques 2 August 27th 05 08:23 PM
Which Degreaser? Mark Thompson UK 17 February 7th 05 03:13 PM
DIY degreaser davek UK 79 July 13th 04 12:07 PM