Question on MTB fork

Old October 4th 03, 01:29 AM
jal

Default Question on MTB fork

Hello - I just got a Trek that has a Rock Shox Pilot SL fork. This thing is
air adjustable. This my first MTB, so I know squat about it. I thought
that forks were adjustable on the fly. Since you have to pump it up,
clearly this one isn't. There's a chart that says how many PSI to put in it
for the rider's weight, but are there any rules of thumb? And what's up
with a "frame pump"? Why not just use a stupid foot pump????

Thanks in advance,

john

Old October 4th 03, 01:49 AM
David

"jal" wrote in message ...
There's a chart that says how many PSI to put in it
for the rider's weight, but are there any rules of thumb?

That chart. You may need to further fine-tune it based on the riding you're doing,
bike geometry, etc. After setting it to the recommendations, you'll want to make sure
you're getting the right amount of sag. Also you'll want to make sure you're getting
a reasonable amount of travel without an unreasonable amount of bottoming out.

And what's up
with a "frame pump"? Why not just use a stupid foot pump????

Because it won't work. Next question.

Oh, why wont it work? Most bike air-springs need high pressure/low volume.
Even if your foot pump could do the pressure, the air wouldn't stay in. When you
stopped pumping, disconnected the pump, or whatever, you'd lose too much air.

David

Old October 4th 03, 01:57 AM
David

"jal" wrote in message ...
And what's up with a "frame pump"?

Make sure you get a "fork pump," "suspension pump," or "frame shock pump"
(same thing). A "frame pump" is usually a tire pump that mounts to a bike frame.