"forged" aluminum alloy?

Old May 17th 05, 01:15 AM
Michael Press

Default "forged" aluminum alloy?

Whenever I read about a "forged" aluminum alloy part for a
bicycle, my mind balks, my stomach clenches, and I refuse to
accept it. A forge is a furnace for heating steel and iron,
preperatory to working it. By working I mean hammering, bending,
drawing, rolling, twisting, creasing, folding, welding, piercing,
crushing, pressing, and the like. Are "forged" aluminum alloy
parts actually formed in this fashion? Please humor me in my
skepticism; I have heard too much hyperbole and misrepresentation
in bicycle marketing to easily set aside my own apprehension of
reality. Thank you.

--
Michael Press
Old May 17th 05, 01:37 AM
Dave Thompson

When the word 'forging' is used in this context, it ususally refers to
forging with a mechanical hammer or a drop forge. Forging actually makes the
part stronger than it would be if it were not forged. A good example of a
very strong forged aluminum part would be the aluminum frame of a Smith &
Wesson AirLite .44 Magnum revolver. Which, by the way, are Scandium.

Old May 17th 05, 02:26 AM

Michael Press wrote:
Whenever I read about a "forged" aluminum alloy part for a
bicycle, my mind balks, my stomach clenches, and I refuse to
accept it. A forge is a furnace for heating steel and iron,
preperatory to working it. By working I mean hammering, bending,
drawing, rolling, twisting, creasing, folding, welding, piercing,
crushing, pressing, and the like. Are "forged" aluminum alloy
parts actually formed in this fashion? Please humor me in my
skepticism; I have heard too much hyperbole and misrepresentation
in bicycle marketing to easily set aside my own apprehension of
reality. Thank you.

Forging isn't just for steel and iron. See
http://www.scotforge.com/sf_alum_forging.asp

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 17th 05, 03:56 AM
jim beam

Michael Press wrote:
Whenever I read about a "forged" aluminum alloy part for a
bicycle, my mind balks, my stomach clenches, and I refuse to
accept it. A forge is a furnace for heating steel and iron,
preperatory to working it. By working I mean hammering, bending,
drawing, rolling, twisting, creasing, folding, welding, piercing,
crushing, pressing, and the like. Are "forged" aluminum alloy
parts actually formed in this fashion? Please humor me in my
skepticism; I have heard too much hyperbole and misrepresentation
in bicycle marketing to easily set aside my own apprehension of
reality. Thank you.

you've been taking too much of the paranoia on r.b.t. literally. not
every word published by the marketing department of a bike company is a lie.

as to the "forge" to which you refer, the type used by a blacksmith &
the like, that is lazy use of the word. it /is/ a furnace that allows
the smith to forge their wares, but the actual "forging" process itself
is the hammering that follows, not the heating.

forging can be hot or cold or something in between & and each imparts
different properties to the finished product. commonly desired
properties of hot forging include densification & redistribution of
inclusions. properties of cold forging include increasing yield stress
by increasing the dislocation density.

Old May 17th 05, 05:06 PM

Michael, try sustituting the words, 'compacting the molecular
structure' for the word 'forge' and maybe you will be able to relax
again and enjoy riding your bike. :-)

Lewis.

Old July 30th 05, 08:04 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 17 May 2005 17:25:09 -0700, "Dave Thompson"
wrote:

It is interesting how (we) bicyclists become anal-obsessive about our mounts
isn't it? I wonder what brings out that characteristic?

I could suggest something involving pipe-style seatposts and saddles
falling off, but it'd be in bad taste.

Jasper

Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Need crank help. Sigurd Unicycling 30 July 24th 04 05:42 PM
FA: TREK Aluminum Investment Cast Lugs & Tubing The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 8th 03 01:08 AM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM