Thoughts on my new Electra - a Joy to Ride!

Old April 1st 08, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Thoughts on my new Electra - a Joy to Ride!

On Mar 31, 10:09*pm, Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 31, 4:03*pm, landotter wrote:

I've used Phil's grease in them with no problem,
but YMMV.

I think it is better to stick to the official specially formulated
roller brake grease. It's cheap enough and the big t00ml tube will
last forever. I can't remember where I read it now, but Sheldon or
someone else with experience said that all the cases of a wrecked
internal gear hubs he'd seen was down to precautionary maintenance
with the wrong grease, and it seems to me likely that the same would
apply to roller brakes.

Roller brakes are dead simple cam devices. I wouldn't say they require
the same level of precision lubricant as a gear hub. If you can get
the correct grease with a fitting for the port--great--otherwise, just
take it off the hub, which is a simple affair, degrease it, dry, and
pack with a high temp grease of your choice. I used Phil's as that's
what I had in my tool kit. It's nice and viscous, so stays put. If
you've got the official stuff, by all means. Again, this is just a
roller and cam system--none too fussy.

The Nexus gearhub is another affair. I ran my original Inter-7 for 30K
US miles before it was stolen four years ago this spring. About five
years of service. It shifted as good on the day I forgot it on the
back porch as on the day I bought it. I doubt I'd ever bother to
service one--as they seem to last nearly indefinitely. When a decade
rolls around and you blow a seal--maybe it's time to upgrade?

The "Fat Frank" is a hoot, btw--but suited for a dry climate
as it's nature is to be free of fenders. It's like riding marshmallows
on top of breast implants.

What an image!

How often do you put grease in your roller brakes, Landotter?

As needed. I rode mine in severe conditions and about yearly for
Chicago commuters would be recommended. As needed for other riders.
Northern Europeans could probably go 2 years or so.

Old April 1st 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:

Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
Sun Times?

Old April 1st 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Mar 31, 11:17*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:

Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
Sun Times?

Well, Tom;

If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

J.

Old April 1st 08, 08:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:

Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
Sun Times?

Well, Tom;

If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green.

Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?

Old April 1st 08, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Apr 1, 2:02*am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:

Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/
Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
Sun Times?

Well, Tom;

If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green.

Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?

The weather is here, wish you were beautiful- Hide quoted text -

Perhaps. Do you have a link?

I wear my gaiters most of the time. Except when the weather is just
too hot. The bands were just worn in a pinch. One of my girlfriends
thought they were a real hoot. She said, 'if I just had a camera'. So
I took the pic and sent it to her. She posted it on her facebook
profile. We get a million bands at work, from the USPS.

http://www.worldclassgear.com/outdoo...le_gaiters.asp

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...20Gaiters.html

J.

Old April 2nd 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jay Bollyn wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:02 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
Due to popular demand in other RBT threads, I am rushing these pre-
release Electra pics into worldwide distribution:
http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/
Do the rubber bands come from the postal delivery, the Tribune or the
Sun Times?
Well, Tom;
If you can't figure that out for yourself, I can't help you.

Well, the rubber bands look like the one's the United States Postal
Service uses - the ones the Tribune used to use were narrower and green.

Would not the classic chromed steel pant clips be appropriate for riding
a proper city bicycle such as the Electra?

Perhaps. Do you have a link?

Why yes:
http://www.google.com/products?q=pant+clips+cycling&btnG=Search+Products &hl=en.
Similar clips should be available at a proper LBS.

Old April 2nd 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Apr 1, 6:45*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
On Apr 1, 2:02 am, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
On Mar 31, 11:17 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Tom!

J.

Danes are very happy! And they ride bikes just like the Electra Amsterdam! Jay[_2_] Techniques 7 February 20th 08 12:54 AM
Thoughts about the ride leader gig? Claire Petersky General 4 March 23rd 06 01:37 PM
Electra Bikes Ablang General 0 April 26th 05 06:29 AM
Electra Bikes James Lynx General 8 November 13th 04 07:20 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading my HRM...anyone got any thoughts on my thoughts? Paulus Australia 10 August 12th 03 11:30 AM