Nostradamus effect of 1m heart recovery rate

Old April 1st 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Turner

Default Nostradamus effect of 1m heart recovery rate

Colin Campbell wrote:

Patrick wrote (in part):

I consider the report to be a very very useful peice of information
regarding health at r.a.t probably because so many of its readers and
contributors are now at an age where they would be fools if they
didn't look at their health condition closely.
=====
Patrick,
If only people understood that ALL ages are the right ages to look after
your health!

Ordinary people who live like kings of old in "advanced western
countries"
are now prone to all sorts of rich ppl diseases as a result
of consuming too much too often and not doing enough.

Because every weak person can breed and have all the resulting
weaknesses passed into a following generation, the species must be
weakening as a whole
as the generations pass and medical technology improves.

This is the result of choice, and democracy etc, and the facts I see
can't be really fairly quanified in terms of vice or virtue; if someone
likes to smoke 3 packs a day then not much I want to do if the man
is a leading surgeon. I knew a doc like that, he came to dinner
often when I was young. He made retirement, then died of lung cancer.
A very good man he was, and completely addicted.
All my mum's pals who smoked died before 70, but she never became
hooked, and only
occasionally smoked before 40, and she's 91 now.
I was similar, and gave up smoking at 35.

Everyone SHOULD think all the time about their health but
most just don't, won't, and never have or will.

Something goes wrong, they just expect a medical fix.

One cannot expect the Human to change much about himself, or herself.

It sounds as if you and I are living along the same lines. I ride
nearly every day, I work out at the gym four days a week, and I have
recent proof that my bike climbing is better than it was 12 - 15 years ago.

I rode a little at 15 to 17, and was a pretty hopeless athlete really.
I did have Miguel Indurain's build, tall, strong, and slim, and still do
at 60,
but I never had Miguel's lungs heart and many other freakish
cababilities.

At 19, I had a motorcycle prang and serious damaged a foot and knee.
No more running, so I walked, and thought about things longer,
and this made me a more capable builder for 30 years.
At 36 I got back on the bicycle,
and found I gradually got fast enough to race, and I spent 6 years as a
veteran
doing maybe 200 races and about 300km a week.
My knees suffered, I gave up, and eventually had a cartilidge trimming
operation.
The docs all said I needed new titanium knee joints.
Hmm, my knees got a bit better after the minor op, and
I said to myself I may as well try cycling again and i'd either
**** my legs right up, or things would feel better.
I feel better. I ain't doin building work though, so I ain't burning the
candle
at both ends and in the middle, and on top of already damaged knees,
and knees that were never designed like Indurain's.
I may still take the surgeon's offer of new knees, but as far out into
the future as i can
because the failure rate of prosthetic knee and hip joints is 25% in Oz.
7% in Sweeden I am told.

Having knee joints replaced a 2nd or 3rd time at 75 is a ******* of
thing to suffer.

One customer of mine has had two knee replacements and 3 hip
replacements.

Hubert Opperman is a hero of mine and he died from heart failure at 91
while riding
his exercise bicycle. He'd done about 20 times the amount of cycling
I have done by age 60, and he lived well till 91.

So its not worth getting too worried by people saying you'll drop dead
from exercize.

Something WILL kill you, and just when you'll never really know.

The heart rate thing does seem like a legitimate way of knowing your
heart a little better.

Nevertheless, people do drop dead from exercize, and often its not
because of the
exercize, its because they had a heart problem anyway, and just happened
to be
exercizing when they died.

Not long ago a chief legal man here died during a ride up a steep hill
here.
He just had no clue he was prone to heart problems. Much was said about
exercise and dying at the time, but many more die anyway and they don't
exercize,
or they are barely alive while dealing with a litany of complaints,
obesity,
smoking damage, diabetes, all sorts of things.

Maybe the man was weighed with the stress of the job, and probably
went to many socials and ate and drank a way too much...
and didn't ride consistently. Being a top legal cocky
and well paid, and well loved by his family didn't
mean he'd live a long life.

I just resumed wearing a heart rate monitor after not doing so for many
years. I'll pay closer attention in the next several days, but I
believe my heart rate drops by at least 12 bpm in the first minute after
I stop for a red light, for example. So, I'm relieved to think that I
may live for a while longer....

I don't have a HR monitor.

In the past I have measured the HR at the top of a hill,
and counted it using a watch. Just count while the seconds go a minute.
HR going from 140 to 70 would be about OK and normal for a fit man.
I recover real well, and on a ride with a group of equally fit people
I recover well at each downhill section.
One kinda knows when you have reached an overload point very quickly
when you are not fit.
The bunch just ride away from you real quick, you huff and puff and
nearly
blow the mountain over and the heart wants to jump out of the chest....
So you gotta know when to quit.
I don't race now because it involves too many "absolute maximum effort
events" and
would indeed strain me a little too much. In a typical race of 50km,
maybe ther'd be 20 climbs, a couple of breaks to cover, and 20+ times
it'd be a max out.
I am not inclined these days.

Opperman said that old cyclists are like old tyres.
They may have been designed for high pressure
but maybe they'll burst.

If I couldn't ride because of heart problems I wouldn't. I spent
14 years off the bike because of knee bothers, then found
I could get back on. I found I'd put on 1Kg each year off the bike.
Some ppl will put that on in a month, because they have no self control.
I was always saing no to myself when presented with a plate full of
cake.
If my knees went again maybe I'd get a canoe.

I started to swim to improve lung and heart function 2 years ago
but it wasn't enough to get weightloss, and I don't like swimming much.
But 20 lengths of my pool are terrific after a 4 hour ride.

There are a lot of guys who have divorced their body.
No matter what they do they'll never be into exercize.
And some get all manner of health problems they have no control over,
no matter what willpower thay have or don't have.

Humans vary immensely, and we are a product of genes, environment,
and choices, but by what amounts is never really clear.

I really hate gyms. And I'd have to pay to hate them after I went in.
I don't much like bunch riding any more either.

I prefer an open road ahead, nobody hanging on my wheel,
and a clear day at my own pace.

I like some speed sometimes, but mostly I just
do the distance I've gone and forget about how long it takes.

I'm the same with work.

Customers want their amps built in a week, and gradually I introduce
them to the idea that a
craftsman's week is a heck of a long time. Time goes painfully slow for
them.
I don't care about being slow. I'm only good for things that take time.
When I raced, I liked real long hard ones, and they didn't really have
anything much
over 100km very often, but that's when I did pretty well.
The sprinters were stuffed.

I have to constantly wean people off the idea than Rome could be built
in a day.

One guy I know changed amps about every month for a year; yes, there are
audio gear addicts out there.
He is thinking about his waist which has become more obvious to him each
passing day.
He says he's thinking about riding.
Maybe he starts riding, and with luck he might re-balance his life a
bit.

Patrick Turner.

Everyone else - if you aren't already doing so, please get busy now
taking care of yourselves!

Old April 2nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Turner

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.bicycles.tech.]
On 2008-04-01, Patrick Turner wrote:

Because every weak person can breed and have all the resulting
weaknesses passed into a following generation, the species must be
weakening as a whole as the generations pass and medical technology
improves.

No, that's not how it works. Natural selection is non-random, but
non-directed; it depends entirely on the local environment. Natural
selection is still there, just selecting for different traits than in
the past.

We keep ppl alive who might have died 100 years ago before getting a
chance to breed.
But now they do breed, often in their late 30s or early 40s for the
first time,
and whatever is wrong with them is passed on.

This isn't too bad a thing, because it makes ppl happy mostly.

And the best things about these ppl are also passed on.

The society values good things for itself such as doctors who can cure
disease, and techs to make the PC work, so both get paid a lot and
if youse are one or the other, it ain't too hard to find a gal who
doesn't mind getting a little bit pregnant sometimes.

But if youse is a tube amp tech, its almost dead impossible to find a
wife.
So my jeans won't be reproduced, and any facility I may have had with
figuring out
tube amps won't go into my offspring.

Natural selection these days means youse get selected if youse got
domani

No got domani means your jeans will not be extended or blended with
anyone else's jeans.

We all have jeans which are a complex mix of many previous pairs all
sewn together,
and some jeans are impossible to wash or iron, and too tight around the
waist,
so we find a bin for those ones, while others are nice to wear, look
handsome even if they ain't washed or ironed,
and allow a human bean to work well. :-)

Patrick Turner.

--

John )

Old April 2nd 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hobbes@spnb&s.com

On 2008-04-01, Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]

The movie Idiocracy should be mandatory. At least the first 15 minutes. All of
this is explained.

Old April 2nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.bicycles.tech
GregS[_2_]

Default serious wholesale.

In article , still just me wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:50:19 GMT, Patrick Turner
wrote:

Here is a copy of my email messaage to serious wholesale, the name of
the company
address contained in unwanted spam..

Hi all at seriouswholesale.

I take part in discussions at the Usernet Group
rec.audio.tubes.

Recently, a series of spam messages have been appearing at the
discussion group with
your website address given.

There is not one single person in the discussion group at all interested
in the much repeated and totally unwanted
spam messages we find are posted at the discussion group as replies to
posts we make to each other.

The spam messages are damaging your reputation
as a dealer of what you sell.

Please ensure you take action to prevent spam
with your website name from entering our
prvate discussion group.

Patrick Turner.

Good work, I'm sure that will stop him.

I just said FXxxknhxjFffiJjpffpOPOPjOPUSENET

greg
Old April 2nd 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

Patrick Turner wrote:

We keep ppl alive who might have died 100 years ago before
getting a chance to breed.
But now they do breed, often in their late 30s or early 40s
for the first time, and whatever is wrong with them is passed
on.

Every cloud has a silver lining. This increases the total
variability in the species gene pool, making us more likely to
have survivors to new, unexpected biological threats.

In a very real sense, protecting the weak makes us stronger.

John
Old April 3rd 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]
The society values good things for itself such as doctors who can cure
disease, and techs to make the PC work, so both get paid a lot and
if youse are one or the other, it ain't too hard to find a gal who
doesn't mind getting a little bit pregnant sometimes.

But if youse is a tube amp tech, its almost dead impossible to find a
wife.[...]

The correct term for such women is "prostitute".

How does a heart rate monitor pickup my heart beat and transmits? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 05:02 PM
How does a heart rate monitor pickup the heart bear and transmit? [email protected] UK 1 February 14th 06 04:41 PM
Heart Rate Karstens Rage General 8 February 4th 05 11:52 PM
Max heart rate again...? Preston Crawford General 31 December 30th 04 09:46 PM
Heart rate recovery Jack General 7 July 15th 03 01:35 PM