IDIOTS ON BIKES ARE NOT AS DANGEROUS

Old February 26th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
ComandanteBanana

Default IDIOTS ON BIKES ARE NOT AS DANGEROUS

Originally Posted by mconlonx
"The Dutch aren't all that and are getting more and more conservative.
Heck, they just outlawed hallucinogenic mushrooms because some drunk,
depressed French chick jumped in a canal..."

That's no good, and they should try a Republican administration for 8
years before they really come to their senses...

Anyway, I was going to say some sweeping statement regarding idiots...
IDIOTS ON BIKES ARE NOT AS DANGEROUS as idiots on SUVs. Kind of common
sense, no? But I know some here need to feel good about themselves.

If half of America fails a REAL driving test and are channelled to
bikes and public transportation, the world would a better, safer place
to live.

NOTE: We should remind the Dutch how bad things are in Mexico and even
America under a War on Drugs (which they are winning).

***

T-shirts to fight IDIOCY...

I find one of the most hideous problems of living in mediocrity to be
putting up with (or surviving) idiotic traffic. Nobody in power
acknowledges it to be a problem (only DUI is), let alone offers a
solution. And then the idiots arm themselves with the biggest SUVs
they can possibly find. I just had to come up with a t-shirt for
them...

description...
"Whether you are in a rush or not to get to the revolution you will
benefit from passing on the left."

t-shirt says...
THE ROAD TO THE REVOLUTION IS FULL OF IDIOTS DRIVING EVERYWHERE
(please pass on the left)

http://zazzle.com/bananarevolutiongear

HYPOCRISY+IDIOCRACY=MEDIOCRITY=DEMOCRACY

THE BANANA REVOLUTION

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution
Old February 27th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Mat S

Uzytkownik "ComandanteBanana" napisal w
wiadomosci

snip

I find one of the most hideous problems of living in mediocrity to be
putting up with (or surviving) idiotic traffic. Nobody in power
acknowledges it to be a problem (only DUI is), let alone offers a
solution.

snip

Just wait until they find out about Swedish "Vision Zero" and try to adopt
it to your local conditions...

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/repor...isionzero.html

You'll be missing the times when you could drive like an idiot... ;-)

MS

Old February 27th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
ComandanteBanana

On Feb 27, 10:05*am, "Mat S" wrote:
Uzytkownik "ComandanteBanana" napisal w

snip

I find one of the most hideous problems of living in mediocrity to be
putting up with (or surviving) idiotic traffic. Nobody in power
acknowledges it to be a problem (only DUI is), let alone offers a
solution.

snip

Just wait until they find out about Swedish "Vision Zero" and try to adopt
it to your local conditions...

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/repor...isionzero.html

You'll be missing the times when you could drive like an idiot... ;-)

MS

You'd like drive like an idiot only when you drive a large mass
vehicle (SUV), and not a smaller vehicle or bicycle.

Now there's the Swedish approach (vision zero) and the German
approach, where you drive fast but not like an idiot. Notice also that
Germany has extensive bike lanes, so it works like a zero tolerance
between cars and bicycles since they are separated. And if they are
not separated then the vehicles would have to be slowed down to 30kph
(20mph or so) as stated in the paper.

Right in front of my house, though, I have a 30mph road where is
common to see cars doing 50, and the bicycles must stay out of the
idiots' way.

I don't know, but I some times think of accidents in America as an
INDUSTRY... Think of the insurance, the lawyers, the paramedics, the
therapists, the towing company, and, perhaps, the undertaker.
Old February 27th 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
J. Clarke

Mat S wrote:
Uzytkownik "ComandanteBanana" napisal w
wiadomosci

snip

I find one of the most hideous problems of living in mediocrity to be
putting up with (or surviving) idiotic traffic. Nobody in power
acknowledges it to be a problem (only DUI is), let alone offers a
solution.

snip

Just wait until they find out about Swedish "Vision Zero" and try to
adopt it to your local conditions...

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/repor...isionzero.html

You'll be missing the times when you could drive like an idiot... ;-)

They're idiots themselves. An 18-wheeler rolling over you at 30 km/hr is
going to kill you just as dead as if it was going 300.

And I'd like to see their numbers that prove that one can't be seriously
injured or killed in a 30 km/hr pedestrian impact.

Old February 27th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Brian Huntley

On Feb 27, 12:33*pm, "J. Clarke" wrote:
Mat S wrote:
Uzytkownik "ComandanteBanana" napisal w
wiadomosci

snip

I find one of the most hideous problems of living in mediocrity to be
putting up with (or surviving) idiotic traffic. Nobody in power
acknowledges it to be a problem (only DUI is), let alone offers a
solution.

snip

Just wait until they find out about Swedish "Vision Zero" and try to
adopt it to your local conditions...

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/repor...isionzero.html

You'll be missing the times when you could drive like an idiot... ;-)

They're idiots themselves. *An 18-wheeler rolling over you at 30 km/hr is
going to kill you just as dead as if it was going 300.

And I'd like to see their numbers that prove that one can't be seriously
injured or killed in a 30 km/hr pedestrian impact.-

It's not the impact, it's the braking distances.

But I *would* like to see 18 wheelers at 300 kph, especially on a
curved circuit like the Toronto GP course. Turns 3, 4, and 7 would be
wild.
Old February 27th 09, 09:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
Andrew Price

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 08:18:43 -0800 (PST), ComandanteBanana
wrote:

[---]

Now there's the Swedish approach (vision zero) and the German
approach, where you drive fast but not like an idiot.

With certain restrictions - where traffic and/or whether conditions
are bad, there are often speed limits imposed on the Autobahn.

Notice also that
Germany has extensive bike lanes, so it works like a zero tolerance
between cars and bicycles since they are separated.

They are separated only until the next intersection - and that's where
they become dangerous, and many cyclists have been killed by
right-turning motorists not seeing the cyclist. Cycle paths are a
contentious issue in Germany, particularly those whose use is
compulsory.
Old February 27th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
BrianNZ

Phil W Lee wrote:
ComandanteBanana considered Fri, 27 Feb
2009 08:18:43 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Feb 27, 10:05 am, "Mat S" wrote:
[...]

You left out the stonemason and the suppliers of ever more
sophisticated equipment to cut people out of their wrecked vehicles,
as well as the people that use it.
Probably a few more as well, and it's certainly an industry.

And the need for more cars to sell to replace the crashed ones!
Mangled barely alive bodies for the medical profession to practice new
techniques on with a "We did our best" clause.

On the up side, all these workers in the accident industry are gainfully
employed and paying taxes.
Old February 28th 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.motorcycles,misc.transport.urban-transit
J. Clarke

Mat S wrote:
Uzytkownik "ComandanteBanana" napisal w
wiadomosci

snip

I find one of the most hideous problems of living in mediocrity to
be putting up with (or surviving) idiotic traffic. Nobody in power
acknowledges it to be a problem (only DUI is), let alone offers a
solution.

snip

Just wait until they find out about Swedish "Vision Zero" and try to
adopt it to your local conditions...

http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/repor...isionzero.html

You'll be missing the times when you could drive like an idiot...
;-)

They're idiots themselves. An 18-wheeler rolling over you at 30
km/hr is going to kill you just as dead as if it was going 300.

And I'd like to see their numbers that prove that one can't be
seriously injured or killed in a 30 km/hr pedestrian impact.-

It's not the impact, it's the braking distances.

Didn't read the link, did you? "For example, the human tolerance for a
pedestrian hit by a well-designed car will be exceeded if the vehicle is
travelling at over approximately 30 km/h" and "the main design factor in
Vision Zero is the biomechanical tolerance of the human in the case that a
potentially harmful event occurs".

Old February 28th 09, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:21:36 +0100, Andrew Price
wrote:

Notice also that
Germany has extensive bike lanes, so it works like a zero tolerance
between cars and bicycles since they are separated.

They are separated only until the next intersection - and that's where
they become dangerous, and many cyclists have been killed by
right-turning motorists not seeing the cyclist.

Just curious--got any statistics to back that up? The reason I ask is
that during three years of riding on paths in Berlin, I found that the
drivers were pretty good about looking for cyclists before making a
right turn. I still did it instinctively (for awhile) when I got back
to the U.S.

Idiots on the A1 Artleknock UK 150 August 18th 07 02:00 PM
Idiots Mark Thompson UK 1 May 12th 07 07:02 PM
Idiots heed UK 54 May 4th 06 08:46 AM