Actual Technical Question: FD Braze-on versus Clamp

Old May 13th 16, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Actual Technical Question: FD Braze-on versus Clamp

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 5:28:18 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 5:01:59 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/12/2016 6:19 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

how does the shifter feel if the cable is NOT attached to the derailler but is still through the cable guides and held in one hand?

A good question. Jay?

That is a good question. I'll check tonight.

-- Jay Beattie.

Epilog. The shifter works fine without the FD attached, although it is fussy and catches sometimes without the return spring tension. Anyway, I had a need for a FD on another bike, so I got the group-specific FD for this shifter (6700) and threw it on last night, and it works great. I think the FD spring tension is a little lower than the older model. $29 over at Universal, which I thought was reasonable. I also got a replacement rim, which I threw over my shoulder for the ride home in the bicycle conga line that is Portland on a sunny day. I again confirmed that the super-duper center-piece cycletrack through south waterfront is the killing fields for cyclists -- and not just because of other cyclists. It's a door-zone cycle track with street car stops on the left, so you can get people crossing in front of you from the stop on the left, drivers stepping out on the right, parallel street car tracks, ordinary pedestrian traffic, turning cars -- dogs and cats, living together! I'd like to punch the maroon who came up with that facility.

-- Jay Beattie.
-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 13th 16, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2016 4:28 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On
I again confirmed that the super-duper center-piece cycletrack through south waterfront is the killing fields for cyclists -- and not just because of other cyclists. It's a door-zone cycle track with street car stops on the left, so you can get people crossing in front of you from the stop on the left, drivers stepping out on the right, parallel street car tracks, ordinary pedestrian traffic, turning cars -- dogs and cats, living together! I'd like to punch the maroon who came up with that facility.

Heretic! Everyone knows that any bike facility is a good bike facility.
And anything that's "protected" is an outstanding bike facility.

Why do you hate innovation?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 13th 16, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 4:59:43 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/13/2016 4:28 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On
I again confirmed that the super-duper center-piece cycletrack through south waterfront is the killing fields for cyclists -- and not just because of other cyclists. It's a door-zone cycle track with street car stops on the left, so you can get people crossing in front of you from the stop on the left, drivers stepping out on the right, parallel street car tracks, ordinary pedestrian traffic, turning cars -- dogs and cats, living together! I'd like to punch the maroon who came up with that facility.

Heretic! Everyone knows that any bike facility is a good bike facility.
And anything that's "protected" is an outstanding bike facility.

Why do you hate innovation?

--
- Frank Krygowski

BEATTIE MISSES THE GOOD OL DAYS WHEN he and his buds were the only road going cyclists

its Malthus all over again..............

writing here, Portland reads like a cycling PITA. Jay has gone on abt cyclgestion for acoupla years now

then JB reveals in stopping in at the nude farm girls organic cycle bar after a stop at UC........

so.....

when I went put riding the Deschutes the ramgers cam n sprayed muh truck with Roundup while Orgonians took a Big Applle of the back rack....
Old May 13th 16, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2016 8:41 AM, jbeattie wrote:
Dear f***wits, here is my question: you can buy a DT clamp that is a braze-on substitute and install a braze-on FD or you can buy a FD with a clamp built-in. Is one better than the other?

Yes.

Question No. 2 (for those people who actually know anything), after installing the new 6700 FD (left) Ultegra lever (this is the old 10 speed group), it feels really stiff -- as did the prior lever. I'm wondering if this is because it is paired with an old FD from an earlier group. It also doesn't seem all that happy with a compact, but I don't think there is any such thing as a compact FD. My adjustment is good.

You did not ask a question.
Old May 14th 16, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 8:41:51 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Question No. 2 (for those people who actually know anything), after installing the new 6700 FD (left) Ultegra lever (this is the old 10 speed group), it feels really stiff -- as did the prior lever. I'm wondering if this is because it is paired with an old FD from an earlier group. It also doesn't seem all that happy with a compact, but I don't think there is any such thing as a compact FD. My adjustment is good.

Sorry J - missed that part - If you have any particular friction on the Shimano levers with the external shift cable you have a problem somewhere.

Shimano build these levers like this from the beginning because it presented the straightest and least restrictive pathway to the derailleurs. The ONLY friction you should feel is the return spring of the derailleur and a VERY minor spring return on the lever.

The newer levers with the interior cables are a pain in the ass to thread needing you to pull the rubber cover back and pull off a plastic cover. Push the cable through in one direction then to RE-push the cable though in the backwards facing direction. Threaded properly it too offers little to no spring tension. But the old style is the best.
Old May 14th 16, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, May 13, 2016 at 2:43:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

O.K., so I do like the nude farm girls at the organic cycle bar, but a lot of that super-hipster stuff is exhausting. Getting a latte at some spots is like being trapped at a performance art exhibition. Give me the f****** latte! I don't care if you can pour the image of the Virgin Mary! At expensive restaurants, I don't even understand the food specials. Capers and what? How many hops can you put in an IPA? Do you really need hand-crafted Vodka -- it's just f****** ethanol!

I pine away for the simpler days. "Today's special is a corn dog." I can understand that.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 14th 16, 05:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2016 8:57 PM, jbeattie wrote:

O.K., so I do like the nude farm girls at the organic cycle bar, but a lot of that super-hipster stuff is exhausting. Getting a latte at some spots is like being trapped at a performance art exhibition. Give me the f****** latte! I don't care if you can pour the image of the Virgin Mary! At expensive restaurants, I don't even understand the food specials. Capers and what? How many hops can you put in an IPA? Do you really need hand-crafted Vodka -- it's just f****** ethanol!

I was really proud of myself the other week. My wife and a friend
joined me for a concert in a distant city. We ate in a nice little
Italian restaurant. My wife asked me "What are these little things in
my pasta dish?" I guessed capers, and was correct. My foodie kids
would have been amazed.

I pine away for the simpler days. "Today's special is a corn dog." I can understand that.

Are the lunch wagons still serving downtown? Go to the Polish one, say
"jenn dobrie" (phonetic) Ask for the pierogi, and understand that
pierogi is plural. You won't regret it. Carbo loading for your ride home.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 16, 07:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 13 May 2016 17:57:54 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

I once went into the newly opened Starbucks at Kuala Lumpur Airport
(because it was the only place open ) and asked for a "cup of coffee".
They had nothing for sale that was identified a "cup of coffee" :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 14th 16, 09:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Well, cultural change has +/-

254
Old May 14th 16, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I have to admit that it used to bug me but now I kind of enjoy going to a
Starbucks and ordering a medium coffee.

--
duane