Replace the plastic tubing in a noodle?

Old May 17th 16, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Default Replace the plastic tubing in a noodle?

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.
Old May 17th 16, 02:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 16 May 2016 23:56:23 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.

Technically, yes you can replace the plastic "liner" in a V-brake
noodle, just pull it out. Practically, it may not be possible as I'm
not sure whether the plastic liner is available as a separate item.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 17th 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.

Technically, yes you can replace the plastic "liner" in a V-brake
noodle, just pull it out. Practically, it may not be possible as I'm
not sure whether the plastic liner is available as a separate item.

I once bought a large length of cable housing that came with a separate
plastic liner. I wonder if such a thing is still for sale? If so, it
would seem any bike shop that had it could sell (or give) you a 3" piece.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 17th 16, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.

Technically, yes you can replace the plastic "liner" in a V-brake
noodle, just pull it out. Practically, it may not be possible as I'm
not sure whether the plastic liner is available as a separate item.

I once bought a large length of cable housing that came with a separate
plastic liner. I wonder if such a thing is still for sale? If so, it
would seem any bike shop that had it could sell (or give) you a 3" piece.

The "noodle" liner has a flange on the cable housing end which keeps
it from moving.

I see both Jagwire and Shimano "cable liners" for sale on e-bay.
Jagwire offereds for ~$7.00 for "two pieces" and Shimano for ~$8.00
for 1,800 mm.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 17th 16, 05:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Noodle? Whazzat?

Travel Agent V Brake Adapter
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/
How To Install A Problem Solvers Travel Agent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJEBRCWNC8g

I don't have any on any of my machines, but did install a pair on an
MTB for a lady with small hands to increase the cable travel distance.
However, at $20 EACH, it's a rather expensive way to get rid of the
noodle. It also tends to get clogged full of dirt, but disassembly
and cleaning is quite easy.

There's also the RavX Super Noodle:
http://store.ravx.com/p/v-brake-super-noodle-kit
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416xk-Aea2L._SX425_.jpg
which will require replacing the brake cable housing to extend the
extra distance.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 17th 16, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

John B. wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
John B. wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

On Amazon... "Jagwire Black Housing Liner 30 Meter Roll, Fits up to 1.8mm
Cables" for about $7.50 US.

One reviewer wrote "you can use this inside of brake noodles. This can be
applied to bottom bracket guides as well". Others talk about using it for
in-frame cabling.

A hot piece of metal might work for making a flange, but that's for later.

Thanks.

Old May 17th 16, 06:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe[_3_]

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Noodle? Whazzat?

Travel Agent V Brake Adapter
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/travel_agents/

I don't have any on any of my machines, but did install a pair on an
MTB for a lady with small hands to increase the cable travel distance.
However, at $20 EACH, it's a rather expensive way to get rid of the
noodle. It also tends to get clogged full of dirt, but disassembly
and cleaning is quite easy.

There's also the RavX Super Noodle:
http://store.ravx.com/p/v-brake-super-noodle-kit
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/416xk-Aea2L._SX425_.jpg
which will require replacing the brake cable housing to extend the
extra distance.

Using a roller makes sense to me, but I'm not so sure about using the cable
in place of a noodle. Some plastics are self lubricating and wear better
than steel. That's probably the idea behind the noodle... Slippery.

Thanks, I was wondering about using a pulley or a roller.
Old May 17th 16, 06:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/05/16 01:56, John Doe wrote:
I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.

If I was desperate I'd try a ball point pen refill, but honestly I'd buy
a new one.

Old May 17th 16, 07:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 17 May 2016 05:15:08 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

[...]

That's the theory when both the cable and noodle are clean. Add some
dirt to act as an abrasive, and the plastic is likely to become gouged
by the cable. You can add lube to the equation, but the dirt is still
going to dig into the plastic. The reasons that the noodle doesn't
destroy itself is that the lateral (side) pressure by the cable on the
noodle is minimal, the cable travel is short, and number of brake
cycles are few. If this were part of a continuously reciprocating
mechanism, the sleeve and noodle wouldn't last very long.

Thanks, I was wondering about using a pulley or a roller.

https://issuu.com/eeweb/docs/08_2014_wireless_pages1/13?e=7607911/8956679
Notice in the YouTube video above, that you can run the cable around
just the outer pulley to replace the noodle without adding additional
cable travel. Starts at 1:01.

Old May 17th 16, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/16/2016 6:56 PM, John Doe wrote:
I'm not suggesting anything, just asking about the normal practice. Is the
plastic inside of a brake cable noodle replaceable?

If so, what plastic is used? I see nothing for sale as a direct replacement.

If the answer is "we just replace the noodle", that's fine too.

Thanks.

Yes and no.

It's a PTFE tube with a flared top (so it won't fall though
the noodle. Could be fabricated from a section of brake
casing liner flared with a cigarette lighter by pushing the
hot tube over a section of brake wire in a vise. I haven't
done that but have done similar projects with that material.

OTOH noodles are dirt cheap and available everywhere.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Help: Teflon V Brake Noodle Liner BlahBlah Techniques 12 February 19th 09 12:55 AM
Noodle Angles and Lengths Psychlo-path Techniques 7 February 27th 07 05:38 AM
Noodle Liner john Techniques 2 September 2nd 06 04:22 AM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) General 17 July 12th 04 09:41 PM
Replace whole chainset if replace front chainring? Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\) Social Issues 14 July 12th 04 09:41 PM