Direction of push

Old June 19th 16, 12:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul

Default Direction of push

Howdy all.

Been cycling for many years (40+) and today I learned how to ride.

Went out for my daily 10km blat in the sticks. Got a very painful left knee,
so I tried changing my "technique". I pushed back in the seat and dropped my
heels, effectively changing from pushing downwards to pushing forwards. What
a revelation! My knee didn't hurt half as much and I had to change up a
gear! I was putting so much more power into the stroke. Didn't take long for
my quads to start aching, but that power has to come from somewhere, I
suppose.

Is this something that I should have known all those years ago? I recently
(3 years ago) lowered the seat so as to protect what's left of my knees, and
noticed a sharp drop in power, but not by this much, I don't think.

What is the "official" correct way to pedal?

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Old June 19th 16, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Sunday, 19 June 2016 14:09:56 UTC+3, Paul wrote:
Howdy all.

Been cycling for many years (40+) and today I learned how to ride.

Went out for my daily 10km blat in the sticks. Got a very painful left knee,
so I tried changing my "technique". I pushed back in the seat and dropped my
heels, effectively changing from pushing downwards to pushing forwards. What
a revelation! My knee didn't hurt half as much and I had to change up a
gear! I was putting so much more power into the stroke. Didn't take long for
my quads to start aching, but that power has to come from somewhere, I
suppose.

Is this something that I should have known all those years ago? I recently
(3 years ago) lowered the seat so as to protect what's left of my knees, and
noticed a sharp drop in power, but not by this much, I don't think.

What is the "official" correct way to pedal?

Too low a saddle height will hurts your knees - you need to adjust it until you can just touch the road on tiptoes on one leg, not flat on the floor.

Old June 19th 16, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 19/06/2016 12:09, Paul wrote:
Howdy all.

Been cycling for many years (40+) and today I learned how to ride.

Went out for my daily 10km blat in the sticks. Got a very painful left knee,
so I tried changing my "technique". I pushed back in the seat and dropped my
heels, effectively changing from pushing downwards to pushing forwards.

"daily 10k blat"? What happens if you do a longer distance but don't blat?

'Dropping your heels' suggests straightening your knees. In effect,
raising your saddle.

What
a revelation! My knee didn't hurt half as much and I had to change up a
gear! I was putting so much more power into the stroke. Didn't take long for
my quads to start aching, but that power has to come from somewhere, I
suppose.

Is this something that I should have known all those years ago? I recently
(3 years ago) lowered the seat so as to protect what's left of my knees, and
noticed a sharp drop in power, but not by this much, I don't think.

A low saddle is usually associated with knee problems, not knee saving.

What is the "official" correct way to pedal?

So that you're comfortable, of course. "Accepted wisdom" suggests that
you measure the distance between crotch and heel and initially set the
saddle to pedal distance (at the bottom of the stroke) to 1.09 times
that. High enough to point toes down slightly, not so high that
stretching your legs causes the hips to swing.

Old June 20th 16, 04:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 08:42:40 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon wrote:

Too low a saddle height will hurts your knees - you need to adjust it
until you can just touch the road on tiptoes on one leg, not flat on
the floor.

"Just touching the ground" isn't a particularly useful measure of saddle
to pedal distance - bottom bracket height can vary quite a lot.

Old June 20th 16, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 20.06.2016 03:42, Alycidon wrote:
[...]

I adjust my saddle height so that I can hook my toes under the pedal (at
its lowest} Then the knee is only slightly bent when the pedal is a its
lowest, causing less strain and unnatural pressure on it.
Old June 20th 16, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul

TMS320 wrote:

On 19/06/2016 12:09, Paul wrote:

Went out for my daily 10km blat in the sticks. Got a very painful left
knee, so I tried changing my "technique". I pushed back in the seat and
dropped my heels, effectively changing from pushing downwards to pushing
forwards.

"daily 10k blat"? What happens if you do a longer distance but don't blat?

Sorry, don't understand. Do you mean "go slowly"? To be honest, I'm not sure
I could. I partly ride for enjoyment, bit mostly to burn trigs. I have to be
making an effort.

'Dropping your heels' suggests straightening your knees. In effect,
raising your saddle.

Of course you're right.

Is this something that I should have known all those years ago? I
recently (3 years ago) lowered the seat so as to protect what's left of
my knees, and noticed a sharp drop in power, but not by this much, I
don't think.

A low saddle is usually associated with knee problems, not knee saving.

I should have written ACL instead of knees.

What is the "official" correct way to pedal?

So that you're comfortable, of course. "Accepted wisdom" suggests that
you measure the distance between crotch and heel and initially set the
saddle to pedal distance (at the bottom of the stroke) to 1.09 times
that.

Thing is, I set the bike up about 3 years ago according to some website or
other. The percentage was less than 100.

I've just been out and set the saddle so standing on the pedal with my heel,
my arse was just touching the seat. That way, when pedalling normally the
leg never quite straightens out. No problems with the ACL.

Thanks. Better now :-)

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Old June 21st 16, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 20/06/2016 11:46, Paul wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 19/06/2016 12:09, Paul wrote:

Went out for my daily 10km blat in the sticks. Got a very painful left
knee, so I tried changing my "technique". I pushed back in the seat and
dropped my heels, effectively changing from pushing downwards to pushing
forwards.

"daily 10k blat"? What happens if you do a longer distance but don't blat?

Sorry, don't understand. Do you mean "go slowly"?To be honest, I'm not sure
I could.

Going slower and going slowly are different things.

I partly ride for enjoyment, bit mostly to burn trigs. I have to be
making an effort.

What do you mean by 'trigs'? You could go further in greater proportion
and end up burning more calories for less physical stress.

[...]

That's the other way.

Old June 21st 16, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul

TMS320 wrote:

On 20/06/2016 11:46, Paul wrote:

I partly ride for enjoyment, but mostly to burn trigs. I have to be
making an effort.

What do you mean by 'trigs'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglyceride

--

Paul.
https://paulc.es
Old June 21st 16, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 21/06/2016 11:37, Paul wrote:
TMS320 wrote:
On 20/06/2016 11:46, Paul wrote:

I partly ride for enjoyment, but mostly to burn trigs. I have to be
making an effort.

What do you mean by 'trigs'?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglyceride

OK. I just like to ride a bike, from which I get some form of exercise.