Disc brake adaptors

Old January 21st 04, 04:51 PM
joemarshall

Default Disc brake adaptors

http://nsmb.com/gear/first_principles_07_02.php

http://www.firstprinciples.ca/products.html

Annoyingly these are 32 hole only, but does anyone think a similar
adaptor might work for unicycle hubs?

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Old January 21st 04, 06:35 PM
unisk8r

Oh yeah, NOW we're talkin'! I'm sure that as First Products makes more
sales of this simple but great (aren't they usually?) part, they'll
invest in a 36 hole flange, to bolt onto a Suzue or Profile, etc. Now
all we need is a mounting kit for an Avid caliper!

--
unisk8r - all this for cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Old January 21st 04, 06:37 PM
zod

I just don't see wanting disc brakes on a unicycle.......The added
stopping power in overkill and I know I personally would not want a disc
rotor that close to my leg

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Old January 21st 04, 06:42 PM
unisk8r

Good point, but you'd have to agree that someone just might make a 3 or
4" rotor? As with all tech, someone will do it and then it can be
evaluated for whether it will be the next big step.

--
unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Old January 21st 04, 07:43 PM
U-Turn

joemarshall wrote:
*http://nsmb.com/gear/first_principles_07_02.php

http://www.firstprinciples.ca/products.html

Annoyingly these are 32 hole only, but does anyone think a similar
adaptor might work for unicycle hubs?

Joe *

The most apparent problems other than the drilling appears to be the
axial footprint of the adapter. It would take up all the space outboard
of the flange that is currently occupied by the bearing and crank.
That's what it looks like from the webpages, anyway.

--
U-Turn - There has got to be a better way...

'29er Tire Study' (http://tinyurl.com/3248f)

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Old January 21st 04, 07:45 PM
Sofa

I'd put a disc brake on in a second!

Brakes are already overkill for 95% of the riding I have ever done
(choosing leg power, skill, and stamina over brakes---which I have owned
and used), but a disk would just be so cool looking I would feel
obligated to.

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

'your so stupid' - *)---(x)*

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old January 22nd 04, 03:18 AM
peculiar

I think disc brakes are a no no on unicycles. If one were to slip, and
got the leg in between the crank and tire, a nasty cut will result.
Wonder how many stitches would be required to sew up the wound.

--
peculiar - muni newbie

-Simplicity is beauty-
peculiar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4290

Old January 22nd 04, 03:21 AM
zod

I've sliced my finger open putting a tire on my mountain bike before
from slipping and running it across the rotor. As I said above, having
that rotor sitting just to the side of your calf is a bad idea in the
making....

Old January 22nd 04, 04:42 AM
Sofa

zod wrote:
*I've sliced my finger open putting a tire on my mountain bike before
from slipping and running it across the rotor. As I said above, having
that rotor sitting just to the side of your calf is a bad idea in the
making.... *

Roach pads will take care of that. No leg armour? You're asking for it
anyways....it may as well be a rotor

Old January 22nd 04, 04:56 AM
fireman184184

hey Guys,
im just getting started riding again, I havent rode in 10 - 15 years but
what is the need for brakes on unicycles?
Thanks
rob

--
fireman184184