Handcuffs as bicycle lock

Old September 23rd 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

Default Handcuffs as bicycle lock

Downtown the other evening, while sitting outdoors in front of a cafe,
enjoying a fine local ale, I noticed that a bike had been secured* with
a pair of handcuffs, one cuff around the rim of the rear wheel, the
other around the seat tube. Smith & Wesson handcuffs are about USD 21 at
amazon.com

Other than risking scratches to the paint (hey -- I could use padded
cuffs!) these seem like a cheap and easy way to accomplish what a ring
lock does (http://tinyurl.com/4db939), esp. since ring locks are
apparently not available in the States.

=========
* "Secured" as in slowing down the casual hop on and ride away thief. I
would not use such a method in NYC.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old September 23rd 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:=========
:* "Secured" as in slowing down the casual hop on and ride away thief. I
:would not use such a method in NYC.

pretty much all handcuffs use the same key, and they're easy to pick.
(much harder when your hands are cuffed behind your back.)

--
sig 40
Old September 23rd 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/22/2008 5:19 PM David Scheidt wrote:

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

:Other than risking scratches to the paint (hey -- I could use padded
:cuffs!) these seem like a cheap and easy way to accomplish what a ring
:lock does (http://tinyurl.com/4db939), esp. since ring locks are
:apparently not available in the States.

:=========
:* "Secured" as in slowing down the casual hop on and ride away thief. I
:would not use such a method in NYC.

pretty much all handcuffs use the same key, and they're easy to pick.
(much harder when your hands are cuffed behind your back.)

Well, I know that. I'm not trying to weld the damn bike to the ground,
just slow down your casual "hop on and ride away" thief. I'd use a ring
lock if I could get one. Barring that, I'm attracted to the hand cuffs
method.

(...Attracted to hand cuffs. Maybe this goes deeper than I think. I should
go get help.)

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old September 23rd 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gocycle

Double Lock the Cuffs. Even though cuffs use the same key, unlocking the
double lock requires time and patience.

Old September 23rd 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Sep 22, 5:08*pm, Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
Downtown the other evening, while sitting outdoors in front of a cafe,
enjoying a fine local ale, I noticed that a bike had been secured* with
a pair of handcuffs, one cuff around the rim of the rear wheel, the
other around the seat tube. Smith & Wesson handcuffs are about USD 21 at
amazon.com

Other than risking scratches to the paint (hey -- I could use padded
cuffs!) these seem like a cheap and easy way to accomplish what a ring
lock does (http://tinyurl.com/4db939), esp. since ring locks are
apparently not available in the States.

=========
* "Secured" as in slowing down the casual hop on and ride away thief. I
would not use such a method in NYC.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon

Might have been one of these. A bit beefier than the law enforcement
style handcuffs. Might be more convenient for locking to racks and
poles also. I don't know how they compare to the typical U-lock for
security.

http://www.masterlockcycle.com/product_9link.shtml

-pm
Old September 23rd 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
Downtown the other evening, while sitting outdoors in front of a cafe,
enjoying a fine local ale, I noticed that a bike had been secured* with
a pair of handcuffs, one cuff around the rim of the rear wheel, the
other around the seat tube. Smith & Wesson handcuffs are about USD 21 at
amazon.com

Other than risking scratches to the paint (hey -- I could use padded
cuffs!) these seem like a cheap and easy way to accomplish what a ring
lock does (http://tinyurl.com/4db939), esp. since ring locks are
apparently not available in the States.

Could it be that what you saw was a pair of Master Lock Street Cuffs?
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/extras/masterlock/street-cuff/PRD_358991_117crx.aspx
\\p
--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old September 23rd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:

(...Attracted to hand cuffs. Maybe this goes deeper than I think. I should
go get help.)

That's how it's supposed to work.

tf

Old September 23rd 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/22/2008 6:32 PM Paul M. Hobson wrote:

Rocket J Squirrel wrote:
Downtown the other evening, while sitting outdoors in front of a cafe,
enjoying a fine local ale, I noticed that a bike had been secured* with
a pair of handcuffs, one cuff around the rim of the rear wheel, the
other around the seat tube. Smith & Wesson handcuffs are about USD 21 at
amazon.com

Other than risking scratches to the paint (hey -- I could use padded
cuffs!) these seem like a cheap and easy way to accomplish what a ring
lock does (http://tinyurl.com/4db939), esp. since ring locks are
apparently not available in the States.

Could it be that what you saw was a pair of Master Lock Street Cuffs?
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/extras/masterlock/street-cuff/PRD_358991_117crx.aspx
\\p

Nah, these had the usual chain between the cuffs.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old September 23rd 08, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/22/2008 6:18 PM Gocycle wrote:

Double Lock the Cuffs. Even though cuffs use the same key, unlocking the
double lock requires time and patience.

Do what now?

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"

Old September 23rd 08, 06:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

"Mike Rocket J Squirrel" wrote: Do what now?
Put the cuffs in a lock box?