Why are bikes so expensive now? Video

Old August 21st 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Why are bikes so expensive now? Video

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Cheers
Old August 21st 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://newsmaine.net/20346-smartphon...er-development
Old August 21st 14, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:59:03 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Cheers

Another link with the printed content from today's WSJ -- which one of my partners plopped on my chair a few minutes ago.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rise-...cle-1408489679

-- Jay Beattie.
Old August 21st 14, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 8/21/2014 1:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:59:03 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Cheers

Another link with the printed content from today's WSJ -- which one of my partners plopped on my chair a few minutes ago.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rise-...cle-1408489679

-- Jay Beattie.

That's right so far as it goes, but a few quibbles. In the
big wide world, bike shops are a small footnote. All LBS
together move about 15% of total US bicycle sales:
http://nbda.com/articles/industry-ov...-2013-pg34.htm

And I think everyone here knows that LBS as a group are a
big range of different sorts of businesses. Typical LBS bike
prices have indeed gone up as LBS have necessarily abandoned
the bottom end of things.

Pro shops do sell 4 and 5-figure new machines, topping out
somewhere near your least expensive new HarleyDavidson and a
lot less than a new Victory motorcycle (another local
product). All LBS revenue together doesn't measure up to
XMart and toy shop bike sales revenue.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 22nd 14, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 22/08/14 02:59, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Overpriced stuff from Baum. Lacking bang for bucks. I'd rather a
Renovo Hardwood frame for 1/4 the price (or less), and suffer the weight
penalty for a real talking point and work of art blended with modern
engineering.

--
JS

Old August 22nd 14, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:34:04 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:59:03 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Cheers

Another link with the printed content from today's WSJ -- which one of my partners plopped on my chair a few minutes ago.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rise-...cle-1408489679

This is OT, but from that article: "Last year, 35.6 million Americans rode a
bike at least six times. That is down from 57 million people in 1989,
according to the National Sporting Goods Association."

Another bit of data that belies the "Build it [i.e. cycletracks] and they will
come."

- Frank Krygowski

Old August 22nd 14, 08:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Sir Ridesalot schreef op 21-8-2014 18:59:
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Cheers

Wow, a lot of information in that video...
'I don't own a bike ...' geezzz

Lou
Old August 22nd 14, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 21:23:30 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:34:04 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, August 21, 2014 9:59:03 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Cheers

Another link with the printed content from today's WSJ -- which one of my partners plopped on my chair a few minutes ago.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rise-...cle-1408489679

This is OT, but from that article: "Last year, 35.6 million Americans rode a
bike at least six times. That is down from 57 million people in 1989,
according to the National Sporting Goods Association."

Another bit of data that belies the "Build it [i.e. cycletracks] and they will
come."

- Frank Krygowski

Somehow that seems very contrived. How about the number that rode a
bicycle at least 52 times last year?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 22nd 14, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 22, 2014 8:17:12 AM UTC+1, Lou Holtman wrote:
Sir Ridesalot schreef op 21-8-2014 18:59:

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/video/w...174703989.html

Wow, a lot of information in that video...

On RBT you might have to mention that you're making an ironic comment, Lou.

In my opinion that piece is a textbook, casebook example of what has gone wrong with journalism: the substituttion of speculation and presumptuous opinion for researchable facts. But there is so much more to object to than merely unfounded opinion: each of the "facts" we are offered is either wrong or severely misleading. HTF do a few low-selling boutique brands with monstrous markups suddenly make a whole market. I choose that example because the WSJ is supposedly a *financial* journal.

It really looks like the WSJ ahs been taken over by the Valley Girls, dumbest bimbos on earth.

'I don't own a bike ...' geezzz

An explanation, not an excuse.

Andre Jute
Old August 22nd 14, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 22, 2014 12:52:34 AM UTC+1, James wrote:

I'd rather a
Renovo Hardwood frame for 1/4 the price (or less), and suffer the weight
penalty for a real talking point and work of art blended with modern
engineering.

I gave Renovo a good hard look a few years ago. The only reason I didn't buy one was that carriage across the Atlantic would have been nearly the price of the bike again. Now I'm sorry I didn't splash out on it while I still rode enough miles every year to justify having more than one good bike.

Andre Jute