Email worm sent to "group members"

Old November 29th 03, 07:15 PM
Chuck Anderson

Default Email worm sent to "group members"

I can see by looking at the To: list that many in the rec.bicycles.rides
group (and others) were sent this email.

Subject: Posta Sicura Elitel: notifica antivirus
From:
(att. - Latest Critical Patch.eml)

This is a classic email worm that has invaded someone's address book and
sent itself to everyone in it. Looking at the list I see many
contributors from here. And the email addresses have to be from
someone's address book (using an email address that I never use in public).

Do not open this attachment. Microsoft never emails patches to users. It
is a worm/virus/trojan.

I wonder who's got "the bug."

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old November 29th 03, 08:18 PM
Chuck Anderson

Subject: Posta Sicura Elitel: notifica antivirus From:
(att. - Latest Critical Patch.eml)

This is a classic email worm that has invaded someone's address book
and sent itself to everyone in it. Looking at the list I see many
contributors from here. And the email addresses have to be from
someone's address book (using an email address that I never use in
public).

Do not open this attachment. Microsoft never emails patches to
users. It is a worm/virus/trojan.

I wonder who's got "the bug."

Thousands of people, mostly people running Microsoft news/mail
readers that automatically upen attachments and thus launch the bug
into their system.

This is, from the sounds of it, the SWEN (news spelled backwards) bug.
It's been around for months- are you just getting it for the first
time? I've gotten at least 15,000 of these rascals e-mailed to me
over the past couple of months. It raids news spools for e=mail
addresses. Someone like me who posts actively in a wide variety of
newsgroups gets hit hard.

At Microsoft. Security is job one. (You don't even want to see their
"number 2.")

I think it's an email virus because it uses an email address that I
never post. That had to come from someone's address book.

I get lots of spam I throw out without even downloading (using
Mailwasher), and some of that is surely worms and trojan stuff. I don't
hardly bother to look anymore. But this is the first one I've gotten
with so many names I recognize from Internet bicycling contacts.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old November 30th 03, 02:56 AM
Ken Brown

Chuck, I have been getting that patch since September. The first day
Norton didn't even catch it, but I knew not to open it. I was getting
about 40 copies a day and it really ****ed me off because each
attachment was about 100 kb and I was leaving in a few days for my
cycling trip in Germany. I was concerned it would overload my quota at
my ISP because I would not be able to retreive e-mail every day.
Fortunately the volume reduced and I was generally able to get to an
internet cafe about every other day. However there was one stretch
where it was 4 days and I did lose some e-mail.

There were many addresses that it was coming from and I did not
recognize any of them. I still get 3 or 4 copies a day.

Ken

From:
(att. - Latest Critical Patch.eml)

This is a classic email worm that has invaded someone's address book and
sent itself to everyone in it. Looking at the list I see many
contributors from here. And the email addresses have to be from
someone's address book (using an email address that I never use in public).

Do not open this attachment. Microsoft never emails patches to users. It
is a worm/virus/trojan.

I wonder who's got "the bug."

Ken Brown, Toronto Canada
Ontario Rail Trails:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~brown
delete "nospam" if replying via e-mail
Old November 30th 03, 07:37 PM
Chuck Anderson

NYRides wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Chuck Anderson writes:

[...]

The barrage of "Microsoft" e-mails in my "NYRides" inbox has finally settled
down a bit. I was getting 75 to 80 twice a day/every day for a while.

Knock on wood.

I've never gotten anywhere near that volume. In fact, if I did, I would
immediately change my email address and notify everyone who needs to
know. I've got several email usernames at this time and a few of them
are pure throw aways. I only use them for registration at sites that I
don't really care about and mail lists that I could always resubscribe
to (if I care to). I think the key is to NOT get too attached to any one
email address. All email addresses will become spambot fodder some day*.

(* Unless you are very diligent about using it only in private messages.
Even then, you could be harvested if someone sticks your address in a
long To: list when forwarding a "real important message" that they MUST
share with ALL of their friends.)

75 - 80 a day? I'd get a new email address and start over.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old November 30th 03, 08:20 PM
Joel Lowrie

same story minus the trip to germany. I started with as many as 40 a
day in September, but now it's down to 4 or 5 a day. still with an old
dialup connection is a real pain.

From:

Old December 1st 03, 07:54 PM
NYRides

...I've never gotten anywhere near that volume. In fact, if I did, I would
immediately change my email address and notify everyone who needs to
know....

I don't know how it happened, but I changed my address from "NYRides" to
"NewYorkRides" and the bug mail kept coming, without missing a beat. I
figured I might as well just change it back to the address all my contacts
know. When I did, the mails resumed right away. I received 7 already
today.

Old December 2nd 03, 12:13 AM
Claire Petersky

75 - 80 a day? I'd get a new email address and start over.

At its peak, I was getting at least that *an hour*. The curse of being a
net.personality. Now it's down to about a couple dozen daily.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Home of the meditative cyclist:

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Old December 4th 03, 06:26 PM
Matt O'Toole

At Microsoft. Security is job one. (You don't even want to see their
"number 2.")

Microsoft security looks like "number 2" to me...

Matt O.