Bike helmets attract nutcase drivers

Old October 12th 15, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Bike helmets attract nutcase drivers

QUOTE:
"That wearing a helmet can lead to more aggression from motorists, at least in the Netherlands, is something Te Brömmelstroet knows from experience. "I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at the weekends, I wear one while riding my racing bicycle. In the last case, I encounter more aggression. I suddenly seem to belong to a group that triggers a lot of anger.''

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...cycling-safety

"And why all this emphasis on the need to wear helmets on bikes? The majority of head injuries occur in cars, but motorists wouldn't dream of wearing a helmet!"
Old October 12th 15, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Iain[_2_]

Default Meaningless statement - Bike helmets attract nutcase drivers

In ,
Alycidon typed:
QUOTE:
"That wearing a helmet can lead to more aggression from motorists, at
least in the Netherlands, is something Te Brömmelstroet knows from
experience. "I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at
the weekends, I wear one while riding my racing bicycle.

Otherwise all of his clothing is the same? It's only the helmet that is
different? He has already admitted using two different types of bike. Does
he use the same roads? And how is 'aggression' measured.

Anyone who has any idea about survey-taking will realise that this sort of
statement is absolutely meaningless without some form of control. I hope
that the arguments are not based on this sort of 'survey'.

--
Iain

Old October 12th 15, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 12/10/2015 12:40, Iain wrote:
In ,
Alycidon typed:
QUOTE:
"That wearing a helmet can lead to more aggression from motorists, at
least in the Netherlands, is something Te Brömmelstroet knows from
experience. "I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at
the weekends, I wear one while riding my racing bicycle.

Otherwise all of his clothing is the same? It's only the helmet that is
different? He has already admitted using two different types of bike. Does
he use the same roads? And how is 'aggression' measured.

Anyone who has any idea about survey-taking will realise that this sort of
statement is absolutely meaningless without some form of control. I hope
that the arguments are not based on this sort of 'survey'.

Facts, logic & rational though have never stopped Simonerd from spouting
bollox.
Old October 12th 15, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 12 October 2015 12:40:14 UTC+1, Iain wrote:
In ,
Alycidon typed:
QUOTE:
"That wearing a helmet can lead to more aggression from motorists, at
least in the Netherlands, is something Te Brömmelstroet knows from
experience. "I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at
the weekends, I wear one while riding my racing bicycle.

Otherwise all of his clothing is the same? It's only the helmet that is
different? He has already admitted using two different types of bike. Does
he use the same roads? And how is 'aggression' measured.

Anyone who has any idea about survey-taking will realise that this sort of
statement is absolutely meaningless without some form of control. I hope
that the arguments are not based on this sort of 'survey'.

A similar argument was tested by Dr Ian Walker.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm

Old October 12th 15, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Parry

On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 03:09:53 -0700 (PDT), Alycidon
wrote:

"I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at the weekends, I wear one while riding my
racing bicycle. In the last case, I encounter more aggression. I suddenly seem to belong to a group that triggers a lot of anger.''

The very point I have been making for ages and you have been ignoring.
It isn't the helmet but the Lycra, the racing bike and the loutish
types they attracts. Groups of AYMILs and MAMILs racing around with
no thought for other road users and screaming their aggression and
hatred at anyone who delays them by seconds. No one really minds
poddlers on push bikes, almost everyone finds the thugs in Lycra to be
offensive.

Old October 12th 15, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:

"I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at the weekends, I wear one while riding my
racing bicycle. In the last case, I encounter more aggression. I suddenly seem to belong to a group that triggers a lot of anger.''

The very point I have been making for ages and you have been ignoring.
It isn't the helmet but the Lycra, the racing bike and the loutish
types they attracts. Groups of AYMILs and MAMILs racing around with
no thought for other road users and screaming their aggression and
hatred at anyone who delays them by seconds. No one really minds
poddlers on push bikes, almost everyone finds the thugs in Lycra to be
offensive.

Exactly.

No-one ever complains about Dutch or Italian cyclists.

Only about the yobs who cycle in the UK.

Old October 12th 15, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

wrote:

"I cycle to work on a city bike without a helmet, but at the weekends, I wear one while riding my
racing bicycle. In the last case, I encounter more aggression. I suddenly seem to belong to a group that triggers a lot of anger.''

The very point I have been making for ages and you have been ignoring.
It isn't the helmet but the Lycra, the racing bike and the loutish
types they attracts. Groups of AYMILs and MAMILs racing around with
no thought for other road users and screaming their aggression and
hatred at anyone who delays them by seconds. No one really minds
poddlers on push bikes, almost everyone finds the thugs in Lycra to be
offensive.

The guy you are talking about is Dutch and cycles in the Netherlands of whom you said:

QUOTE:
"The Dutch have fortunately avoided the poisonous
grip that lycralouts and stravinistas have on push bike riding in the
UK. People there cycle slowly and mainly for short distances. They
tend to obey traffic lights, they ride on cycle paths rather than
roads, they wouldn't know a bunny hop if they saw one. They say good
morning."
ENDS.

All he does is put a hat on and rides another bike at the weekend - it is the drivers around him that change, not him. He is the same person.

Old October 12th 15, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Smith[_7_]

Alycidon wrote:

All he does is put a hat on and rides another bike at the weekend - it is
the drivers around him that change, not him. He is the same person.

The British car driver is a self-entitled, arrogant sociopath, congenitally
incapable of accepting that he can ever be at fault, and displacing the
blame for the tens of thousands of innocents that he maims and kills every
year.

Y.
--
john smith
'_The Guardian_. Wrong about everything. All the time'
Old October 12th 15, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Iain[_2_]

In ,
Alycidon typed:
[...]

This, I admit, probably has more credibility. But he is at loggerheads with
RoSPA. But again, I would like to see the details of the experiment, to see
what sort of controls were in place. 8.5cm (3.4in) gap can makes a lot of
difference if the average gap was only 12 inches, but proportionally far
less if the average gap was 4 feet.

You can use (and mis-use) statistics in many different ways to try and prove
a point.

--
Iain

Old October 12th 15, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Iain[_2_]

In ,
Alycidon typed:

of whom you said:

QUOTE:
"The Dutch have fortunately avoided the poisonous
grip that lycralouts and stravinistas have on push bike riding in the
UK. People there cycle slowly and mainly for short distances. They
tend to obey traffic lights, they ride on cycle paths rather than
roads, they wouldn't know a bunny hop if they saw one. They say good
morning."
ENDS.

All he does is put a hat on and rides another bike at the weekend -
it is the drivers around him that change, not him. He is the same
person.

You have immediately highlighted two things that change - type of bike, and
at weekends. See my earlier post about the lack of a control. This is all
purely opinion. There is inadequate information to prove otherwise.

--
Iain