Commuting by bike not cost effective?

Old July 23rd 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Commuting by bike not cost effective?

sally wrote:
Very unlikely that you're burning 1000 calories in 1.5 hours at

less than 10mph.

I checked bikely.com and here are some stats:

Total climb: 417ft
Total descent: 702ft

Old July 23rd 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

On Jul 23, 11:00 am, wrote:
I can see the benefits if you are over-weight and need to lose
weight. But someone if just fooling himself if they think they are
saving any money by biking, no?

The actual cost of driving a vehicle is more than just gasoline. You
need to consider maintenance costs as well. The national average is
roughly 50 cents per mile (see, e.g., http://www.piercetransit.org/rideshare/costs.htm).
So your actual cost for driving 24 miles to work and back is closer to
$12/day.

In addition, a cyclist is usually going to burn less than 400 calories
over 12 miles (see http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-fa...ction-12.html).
So your total for the day should be less than 1000 calories. But if
it costs you $3 to replenish the calories, you're still saving $9/
day. And if you're just a little bit frugal, you can do better than
that.

- JR

Old July 23rd 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mailmover

I live 1.5 miles from work! I am looking to add a second bike to be
able to commute to and from as I will not only save money on gas, wear
and tear and helping with the enviornment, but the time spent on the
bike will aid in, reducing stress and keeping me fit.

Old July 23rd 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeremy Parker

wrote in message
ups.com...
This weekend I biked the 12 miles to work to see if it could be
done.
It took around 1 hour and a half, however, I noticed this is really
not going to save me any money. The reason is the cost to replace
my
1000 calories burned will be more than the $3 gas it costs me to
get
to work.

I can see the benefits if you are over-weight and need to lose
weight. But someone if just fooling himself if they think they are
saving any money by biking, no?

Well protein or carbohydrate gives about 4 calories per gram, fat
about 9. Dry crusts of bread might be the cost effective way to get
calories.

What % fat is your body? What would you like it to be? (Don't ask
me the same question. I don't even want to think about it. Weight
loss to your ideal weight is not guaranteed.)

There are a few extras to think about. Car tires or bike tires, for
example. If you are to be more than just a fair weather cyclist, you
will need rain gear, cold weather gear, and lights.

If you really want to beak your budget, get a Moulton double pylon
bike. The going price is about 6000GBP now - double that to get
dollars

Gasoline here in Britain is more expensive than it is in the USA. My
local supermarket sells gasoline and Evian water at about the same
price, but you do get free bottles with the water.

Jeremy Parker

Jeremy Parker

Old July 23rd 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

Drop your membership at the gym. That will bring your cash flow back into
balance. And you'll save money on the food you won't have to eat to replace
the stationary bike calories.

BTW, you can buy a lot of potatoes for $3.00, if that's how you want to look
at it.

For comparison, here's another silly form of personal economics: going to a
prostitute once in a while is cheaper than going out on dates, and certainly
cheaper than having a wife and family.

Old July 24th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DougC

wrote:
This weekend I biked the 12 miles to work to see if it could be done.
It took around 1 hour and a half, however, I noticed this is really
not going to save me any money. The reason is the cost to replace my
1000 calories burned will be more than the $3 gas it costs me to get
to work.

I can see the benefits if you are over-weight and need to lose
weight. But someone if just fooling himself if they think they are
saving any money by biking, no?

P. J. O'Rourke noted this in one of his books, when he was talking about
how inefficient pedicabs in Bangladesh or India or some other country
were. The calories in a gallon of gasoline far outnumber the calories in
any amount of food you can buy for the price of a gallon of gasoline.
And exercise depletes vitamins, so you can't simply buy a pound of
butter and suck that down.

------

If you bought a bicycle motor kit and put that on the bicycle, you could
get to work at ~30 mph and it would only cost around six cents for
gasoline (at roughly 200 mpg). -Assuming such motorized bicycles were
legal where you are of course, which they might not be.

{...I am firmly convinced that locales that only allow ELECTRIC
motorized bicycles are locales that most-certainly want the entire
concept to fail. Why don't they require everyone there to use electric
cars as well? because electric cars aren't nearly as practical to use as
petroleum-fueled cars are, and they all know this. And so it goes, with
bicycles as well... they want to keep bicycles as impractical as
possible, to prevent them from taking up valuable road space}
~
Old July 24th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"max" wrote clip) 4. Who says you need to spend $3 to replace the
metabolic hit of a 90 minute/3 mile ride? (clip)
Good point. If you're comparing two numbers, and they're BOTH wrong,
well....