Maintenance

Old March 24th 05, 10:52 PM
WeatherGuy

Default Maintenance

Good evening everyone.

I have been "lurking" here for a while, and it is clear that most you are
experts in cycling matters. I, on the other hand, have not cycled 30 years
and am not therefore, current on maintenance and lubrication requirements of
modern high-end hybrid bikes, one of which I have just purchased for
exercise in my retirement years. Is there a single source I can turn to
regarding routine and specialized maintenance that I should so keep my
machine running smoothly. I should tell you that I live in Canada and plan
to do a lot of riding in adverse winter weather conditions and very cold
temperatures (-30C).

Any advice would be much appreciated

Mike

Old March 24th 05, 11:09 PM
Neil Brooks

"WeatherGuy" wrote:

Good evening everyone.

I have been "lurking" here for a while, and it is clear that most you are
experts in cycling matters. I, on the other hand, have not cycled 30 years
and am not therefore, current on maintenance and lubrication requirements of
modern high-end hybrid bikes, one of which I have just purchased for
exercise in my retirement years. Is there a single source I can turn to
regarding routine and specialized maintenance that I should so keep my
machine running smoothly. I should tell you that I live in Canada and plan
to do a lot of riding in adverse winter weather conditions and very cold
temperatures (-30C).

Any advice would be much appreciated

Mike

Allow me to recommend these:

1) http://sheldonbrown.com/

2) http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

3) (because of the conditions in which you may ride):
http://www.icebike.com

4) http://www.bikewebsite.com

5) http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/wrench.html

You may want to consider buying the "Park Tool Big Blue Book of
Bicycle Repair." Odds are, it's the only book you'll ever need to
keep your hybrid in tip-top shape.

Best of luck to you!
Old March 24th 05, 11:27 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 17:52:17 -0500, WeatherGuy wrote:

Good evening everyone.

I have been "lurking" here for a while, and it is clear that most you are
experts in cycling matters. I, on the other hand, have not cycled 30 years
and am not therefore, current on maintenance and lubrication requirements of
modern high-end hybrid bikes, one of which I have just purchased for
exercise in my retirement years.

If, 30 years ago, you were accustomed to doing your own bicycle
maintenance, you will be pleasantly surprised. Most new bikes are much
lower-maintenance than back then.

Is there a single source I can turn to
regarding routine and specialized maintenance that I should so keep my
machine running smoothly.

Others recommended the usual sites. The most common things will be tire
repair (big surprise), brake and shifter adjustment (rare), and chain
cleaning/replacement. If you keep your chain clean and lubed, and replace
it when it is worn to the extent that 12 full links measure 12 1/16", you
will not have to replace anthing else on the drivetrain for years. Such
wear usually occurs after roughly 2000 miles, but that does vary.

You no longer have to worry much about bearings, which were a big
headache. Bottom bracket, pedal, and headset bearings are typically
"sealed" now, so need not be attended to for years, until they show
problems. Wheel bearings may be sealed, and may not be, but maintenance
is no more than a yearly thing, again depending on mileage/conditions.
It's not the cold that is the problem, but wet. The more you ride in wet
conditions, the more maintenance you will need to take care of.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old March 25th 05, 03:00 PM
Maggie

WeatherGuy wrote:
Good evening everyone.

I have been "lurking" here for a while, and it is clear that most you

are
experts in cycling matters.

"Most" is absolutely correct. Then there are people like me.
All Good Things,
Maggie

Old March 25th 05, 05:42 PM
Fritz M

Maggie wrote:
"Most" is absolutely correct. Then there are people like me.

But you're learning more and more every day, right?

RFM

Old March 25th 05, 07:37 PM
Maggie

Fritz M wrote:
Maggie wrote:
"Most" is absolutely correct. Then there are people like me.

But you're learning more and more every day, right?

RFM

I'm learning about riding, I'm not too sure I am learning anything
about maintenance of a bike. I never changed a flat on my car, I don't
take out the garbage, I get a manicure every week.....do you think I
will ever get into "maintenance?" Riding yes, maintenance, I am not
too sure about. I'm too old to change that much. But since September
I have certainly learned a heck of a lot more about bikes than I ever
knew. That is fer sure. ;-) Thanks to all of you.
All Good Things,
Maggie

Old March 25th 05, 09:36 PM
catzz66

Maggie wrote:

I'm learning about riding, I'm not too sure I am learning anything
about maintenance of a bike. I never changed a flat on my car, I don't
take out the garbage, I get a manicure every week.....do you think I
will ever get into "maintenance?" Riding yes, maintenance, I am not
too sure about. I'm too old to change that much. But since September
I have certainly learned a heck of a lot more about bikes than I ever
knew. That is fer sure. ;-) Thanks to all of you.
All Good Things,
Maggie

You'll be surprised what you will not mind learning to do when the
alternative is not riding your bike till you can take it to the shop.
If you buy that new bike, you might get a break from that for a while,
though.
Old March 26th 05, 12:34 AM
Colorado Bicycler

" I'm too old to change that much."

And just when is that magic age when you are too old to change that
much?

Please tell me so I will know when to stop changing!!

Old March 26th 05, 03:07 AM
Maggie

Colorado Bicycler wrote:
" I'm too old to change that much."

And just when is that magic age when you are too old to change that
much?

Please tell me so I will know when to stop changing!!

Don't tell me that people do not get a little "set in their ways" after
a certain age. I have a friend who has never been married. He is now
42 years old. He has a woman friend. (Girlfriend sounds ridiculous past
a certain age) I can't even imagine changing his life style to marry
at this point. He is definately "set in his ways" and if his lady
friend thinks he is going to change, she's nuts. She'll also get a
pre-nup to sign. Maybe you keep changing as you get older, but I find
I become more set in my ways. It has taken a long time to figure out
who I am and I am not quite sure if I have it right, but at least I
know who I am finally. And the thing that has changed the most since I
was young, is the fact that I do not make excuses for the person I am.
That is very liberating.
All good things,
Maggie

Old March 26th 05, 03:32 AM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:

Maybe you keep changing as you get older, but I find
I become more set in my ways. It has taken a long time to figure out
who I am and I am not quite sure if I have it right, but at least I
know who I am finally.

If you haven't read it yet, I bet you'd enjoy
Kurt Vonnegut's "The Sirens of Titan". It nicely
describes how people can change (or be changed)
despite themselves.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Bicycle Maintenance evening class - Tues 22 Feb 2005 - Cambridge David Green UK 20 February 11th 05 07:47 AM
Maintenance manual for visually oriented newbie Zilla Mountain Biking 0 October 12th 04 12:04 AM
Bicycle Maintenance Course, Cambridge, 2 November 2004 David Green UK 2 October 6th 04 10:18 PM
Maintenance Keith Willoughby UK 3 February 2nd 04 02:39 PM
Ultegra STI Maintenance Ian S Techniques 3 October 30th 03 12:39 AM