relatively amusing craig's list ad

Old May 10th 08, 11:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default relatively amusing craig's list ad

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Claire writes:
Over yonder: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/bik/637385956.html

At one point I thought /my/ bike was cursed.

Before I even opened the craigslist page I knew that was ad for
Henry's bike.

I hope it isn't cursed. I wouldn't wish a cursed
vehicle on anybody. Well, maybe I'd sorta wish the
James Dean Spider on whomever's trodding-down Sudan.

Until it and me got head-on'd by a car.

Maybe just the parts I had to replace were cursed.

But I'll tell ya what -- that frame is as solid as
a brick sh!740u23, and that's the truth.

I wish I could say the same, my latest broken frame is sitting at
Recycled Cycles waiting for them to go through all the motions with the
Surly warranty department.

There's somewhat to be said for the hi-tens end
of the chro-moly spectrum.

Well, there ya go. I'm not particularly partial
to double or triple-butted frame tubing, and I
opine straight-gauge tubes are less failure-prone.
It makes for a heavier bike, but what is gained
by putting weaker and more flexy spots in a frame?
That's just my personal opinion, and I respect other
people's opinions.

Of course, when rear triangle stays separate from
the main triangle, that's just poor construction.
I don't know at the time of this writing if that's
what happened to you.

Black spokes would look good with my rhinestone-eyed
black skull valve caps. I need more skull/death's-head
themed stuff for my bike.

In the frippery department, I've been contemplating what I would need to
make my own headbadges. Probably not as swanky as this:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6128877

Y'know what? There's no such thing as tarnish-resistant
sterling silver, at least if it's not coated with laquer
or something. Their profferings are indeed pretty,though.

But I might be able to turn out something interesting.

Back in the '70s Bike Boom, we Canadians got these imported
Japanese Sekines, the finer editions of which had escrutcheons
sporting a brilliant-cut rhinestone. With it, and in the
right angle of the sun, you could reflectively direct an
annoying solar beam into the rv mirror of the car ahead
of you that hesitates too much when they can get across
the darn intersection. That was before the advent of
laser pointers. My beloved 27"-wheeled mixte has one
of those headbadges.

The Craigslist seller should just get himself a bike
that he could ride and enjoy. Well, I guess he should
just enjoy whatever his reasonable volition suggests.

He bought a Long Haul Trucker earlier this year, and AFAIK hasn't
crashed it yet.

Anyways, nothing is ~cursed~. We just tend to put our
own baggage on stuff. You know that; why am I telling you?

Exactly, the same sort of reason we shouldn't anthropomorphize machines
and computers. They really don't like that.

I never, *ever* swear at computers. It just distracts them
from their background tasks, and makes things worse. Having
done a bunch of inventory counting, I also know when to not
bother people. As Archie Bunker said: "Patience is a virgin."

If those black spokes were octagonal ...

As long as they aren't forged out of Octiron or give off Octarine
colored emissions we're probably okay though.

I think I'd prefer my spokes to be somewhat but not overly
work-hardened by drawing, rather than forging. If coloured,
I'd think heat-blueing would do the trick. Colourations can
be effected with cyanides, but that's a little scary to do
at home.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 10th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Dane Buson writes:

Before I even opened the craigslist page I knew that was ad for
Henry's bike.

I hope it isn't cursed. I wouldn't wish a cursed
vehicle on anybody. Well, maybe I'd sorta wish the
James Dean Spider on whomever's trodding-down Sudan.

I think it's more that Henry shouldn't be riding fixed gear bikes. Lack
of attention, lack of respect for the inertia of rotating mass, poor
bike maintenance, who knows what the bugbear is. I think the broken
collarbone was the sticking point though.

Of course, when rear triangle stays separate from
the main triangle, that's just poor construction.
I don't know at the time of this writing if that's
what happened to you.

Dropout separation, the same thing that happened last time. I describe
it a bit more in the "A bike for sunny days" post.

Back in the '70s Bike Boom, we Canadians got these imported
Japanese Sekines, the finer editions of which had escrutcheons
sporting a brilliant-cut rhinestone. With it, and in the
right angle of the sun, you could reflectively direct an
annoying solar beam into the rv mirror of the car ahead
of you that hesitates too much when they can get across
the darn intersection. That was before the advent of
laser pointers. My beloved 27"-wheeled mixte has one
of those headbadges.

Oooeeer, shiny. I don't suppose you've obtained a camera with which to
take pictures of said shiny things?

--
Dane Buson -
X windows. More than enough rope.
Old May 19th 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dane Buson writes:

Back in the '70s Bike Boom, we Canadians got these imported
Japanese Sekines, the finer editions of which had escrutcheons
sporting a brilliant-cut rhinestone. With it, and in the
right angle of the sun, you could reflectively direct an
annoying solar beam into the rv mirror of the car ahead
of you that hesitates too much when they can get across
the darn intersection. That was before the advent of
laser pointers. My beloved 27"-wheeled mixte has one
of those headbadges.

Oooeeer, shiny. I don't suppose you've obtained a camera with which to
take pictures of said shiny things?

I'm afraid I haven't yet had such an opportunity,
but if you Google on "Sekine bicycle" and throw in
the secondary keyword: "rhinestone," I'm sure you'll
get some worthwhile hits & pix.

IIRC Sekine was so popular in western Canada,
they set-up shop somewhere in Manitoba.

Sekine was a very progressive mfg, sending-out
all kinds of experimental stuff into the market.
E.g: my mixte originally came with Shimano's
'70s Front Freewheel System (FFS) which allows
a rider to shift gears while stationarily leaning
against a pole or something, and back-pedalling.
It also comes with allen-wrench-removable (One
Key Release[tm]) cranks. The fancily knurled &
chromed, round headset nuts require a 3 pinwrench.
The frame is beautifully lugged, and painted in
luscious raven black.

I can only describe the beauty of Sekines to
people who've never seen nor experienced them.
It kinda makes me feel alone.

Of course, later models were decadent.
As with any human creativeness, there's
a formative age, a classic/golden age,
and a decadent age.

I suspect Sekine kept old SunTour in business
for quite a while after SunTour might have
been faded out. Some of that SunTour crap
was actually pretty good crap. And still is.

cheers,
Tom

Old May 20th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
Dane Buson writes:

Oooeeer, shiny. I don't suppose you've obtained a camera with which to
take pictures of said shiny things?

I'm afraid I haven't yet had such an opportunity,
but if you Google on "Sekine bicycle" and throw in
the secondary keyword: "rhinestone," I'm sure you'll
get some worthwhile hits & pix.

I found one or two, okay one really. It looks nifty.

IIRC Sekine was so popular in western Canada,
they set-up shop somewhere in Manitoba.

Sekine was a very progressive mfg, sending-out
all kinds of experimental stuff into the market.
E.g: my mixte originally came with Shimano's
'70s Front Freewheel System (FFS) which allows
a rider to shift gears while stationarily leaning
against a pole or something, and back-pedalling.

That sounds a bit terrible. It sounds like a solution in search of
problem really.

It also comes with allen-wrench-removable (One
Key Release[tm]) cranks. The fancily knurled &
chromed, round headset nuts require a 3 pinwrench.
The frame is beautifully lugged, and painted in
luscious raven black.

I can only describe the beauty of Sekines to
people who've never seen nor experienced them.
It kinda makes me feel alone.

Of course, later models were decadent.
As with any human creativeness, there's
a formative age, a classic/golden age,
and a decadent age.

Decadent is better I think when it refers to Chocolate, plush
bedding, or bed partners than bicycles. Hmm, actually all three of the
first together sounds especially good to me.

I suspect Sekine kept old SunTour in business
for quite a while after SunTour might have
been faded out. Some of that SunTour crap
was actually pretty good crap. And still is.

Hey, the front derailleur on my Sunny Day bike is Suntour and it seems
to be shifting just fine. So I'll not complain about it. And the
suntour barcons on my Tandem seem to work fine.

--
Dane Buson -
Any member introducing a dog into the Society's premises shall be

Amusing stuff Bill C Racing 1 December 27th 07 12:58 AM
I just got a new unicycle(amusing story) dan de man Unicycling 12 May 15th 07 02:07 PM
Another amusing annecdote TimC Australia 7 May 12th 06 09:12 AM
Amusing clipping.. Richard Adams Racing 1 July 24th 05 02:11 AM
Mildy amusing Willowbeauty UK 4 August 15th 03 01:05 AM