The anti Helmet on this news group

Old August 15th 06, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
gareth price

Default The anti Helmet on this news group

Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB community
the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears them and I
don't know what the roadie opinion is.

Gareth

Old August 15th 06, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:54:07 +0100, gareth price wrote:

Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB
community the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears
them and I don't know what the roadie opinion is.

I'm anti and a roadie (see tale of stelvio slicks on fen mud).

At a big ride of local 'benters last year (well, nine of us), both gloves
and mirrors out-numbered helmets.

Mike
Old August 15th 06, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Clarke

gareth price wrote:

Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB community
the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears them and I
don't know what the roadie opinion is.

I don't think anyone's anti helmet (though many think they could be
designed a lot better).

Among roadies, we're not anti-helmet, we're anti-compulsion. i.e. we're
anti being told to wear them when the case for isn't sufficiently
demonstrated and the case against is largely ignored by the
pro-compulsion faction.

Phil
Old August 15th 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

gareth price wrote:
Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB community
the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears them and I
don't know what the roadie opinion is.

Well, speaking as neither a roadie, or a mountie, I use my bike
primarily as a commuting aid and would classify myself as a utility
cyclist (utie?). I don't wear a lid now, I used to before I read the
research, but not any more. To put it simply, in any crash, you are
going to have one of the following scenarios.

1. The impact will be low speed enough for a helmet to be effective and
it will save you from some injury, although probably not life threatening.

2. The impact will be of sufficiently high speed to render the helmet
useless as it falls outside the design parameters. Not wearing a helmet
will result in concussion, maybe a cracked skull and other superficial
injuries. Wearing a helmet may prevent the superficial injuries, but you
could get torsional injuries to your brain instead.

3. The impact speed is so high you are dead meat regardless.

Add in the discomfort of getting broiled in the summer and water
dripping down your neck in the winter it is not much of a contest.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

Give your child mental blocks for Christmas.
Old August 16th 06, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"gareth price" wrote in message
Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB
community the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears
them and I don't know what the roadie opinion is.

Anti-compulsion across the board. That's it.

If you want to take part in a race, you have to wear one.

If you are hacking down unfamiliar countryside, it's your choice.

If you are popping to pick up some eggs and milk, it's your choice. I'd call
it overkill.

This is the debate that makes cyclists look like pedants. And we're not,
mostly.

It is not neccesary to wear one every time you ride a bike.

Old August 16th 06, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

gareth price said the following on 15/08/2006 22:54:
Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB community
the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears them and I
don't know what the roadie opinion is.

It appears to be amongst road users mainly. MTB'ers (including myself
on my "other" bike) wear them because there is obviously more risk of
coming off the bike, where they just protect against bumps and scrapes
or overhead branches. Theoretically there's far less risk of coming off
your bike on your own on the road, so the need for protection is less.
Being wallopped off your bike by a car is a different issue, and that is
where the protection a helmet provides is variable, depending on the
circumstances.

A fair number of MTBers also wear body armour voluntarily. Better not
let the helmet-compulsion crowd see that!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old August 16th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

elyob wrote:
snip

This is the debate that makes cyclists look like pedants. And we're not,
mostly.

It is not neccesary to wear one every time you ride a bike.

"necessary"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Tim.

Old August 16th 06, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MSeries

gareth price wrote:
Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB community
the wearing of helmets there is no debate just everyone wears them and I
don't know what the roadie opinion is.

Gareth

Keep up at the back there. You haven't been listening have you ?

Old August 16th 06, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike the unimaginative

"elyob" wrote in
:

It is not neccesary to wear one every time you ride a bike.

I think that just about sums it up.

Old August 16th 06, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 22:54:07 +0100, gareth price wrote:

Are they roadies or mountain bikers? It's just the within the MTB community
the wearing of helmets there is no debate

yes there is

just everyone wears them

No they don't.

Steve